Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

94 Accord Rear brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord Rear brake issue

Hello there. I have been a lurker her for a bit, decided to join the fun...I also have a technical question

Just replaced all the rotors and pads on my 94 Accord Wagon. I have been driving it with no issue for about 2 weeks, Then a week ago I started hearing a rubbing/vibrating sound coming from the rear passenger side.
Rubbing really only happens at lower speeds, turning corners and taking off from a stop. Higher speeds it is quiet and if it is making noise and I press the brakes or engage the ebrake a little the noise goes away.
I have bled the rear and that didn't change anything,

I have noticed with the car jacked up and the ebrake off that the caliper has some play in it if I wiggle it by hand, all bolts are tight. I am pretty sure it isn't supposed to have any play right?
ABS light is on, I had to replace the rear spindles(?) due to a rust issue, these were swapped at the time of the brake job. I am assuming the ABS light is on due to the sensor.

Anyone able to give me some insight here? Thank in advance.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord Rear brake issue

If you jack up the rear of the car, release the emergency brake, and then try to move the wheel/tire (grasping at 3 and 9 o'clock and then at 12 and 6 o'clock), do you feel any movement? If you do, then the rear wheel bearing may be going bad. If the bearing is bad, then when you spin the wheel/tire you might also notice a rough feel/noise.

I took a look for a 1994 Accord with ABS, with 4spd auto, and found the part listing Honda Automotive Parts. When you said that you replaced the rear spindles, do you mean the bearing assembly (part #2 in the drawing)?

As far as movement in the caliper, the sliding pins (parts 18 & 33) will probably allow for very slight movement/rocking, but not very much. Did you regrease those sliding pins? If you do remove them, then make sure to return them to their original locations as they are different (Pin A and B). Also, be careful to make sure that the 'nub' is in the cross of the piston like is mentioned in reply 5 of thread https://honda-tech.com/suspension-br...wrong-3267084/. - Jim
Old 01-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bearing felt fine when I was playing with it the other day.
As for the spindle. I am referring to the big cast piece that the hub is on, lower strut bolts into it as well.
When I put hte new pads in I am 99% sure I got the "nub" in the center. As for the pins, I could have gotten them wrong. I didn't know they were different and didn't mark them.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found the issue. Brake pad was broken. Went back to autozone, got a replacement problem gone. First time I have ever seen that. Thanks for the advise and the diagram, Saved that one for future use.