Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

6th gen Accord rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gen Accord rear disc conversion

I have a 2002 accord and im looking to convert the rear to disc brakes but cant find any help. So anybody with anything let me know. Thankx
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6th gen Accord rear disc conversion

There are two ways to do this: 1) get the rear brake parts from a '98-02 Accord EX; 2) Do a 5 lug conversion on all four wheels with parts from a V6 Accord and get larger discs as part of the deal. To do just the rear discs, you will need the rear hub/uprights, bearings, caliper brackets, calipers and rotors, and emergency brake cables, and you may need the suspension trailing arms as well. You can use junkyard parts for the trailing arm, hub, and caliper bracket, but you should have all bearings and bushings replaced, and you should purchase new calipers and rotors. You will also need to replace the proportioning valve with one for an Accord EX, and if you've never bled brakes before, it might be a good idea to hire a professional to do the installation. You also should replace the brake hoses while you have things apart, and may need to as part of the drum/disc conversion.

If you go the V6 5 lug route, then you need all the above parts from a V6 car, plus the front hub/uprights, wheel bearings, caliper brackets, rotors and calipers, and the proportioning valve from the V6 car.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chasnsx
There are two ways to do this: 1) get the rear brake parts from a '98-02 Accord EX; 2) Do a 5 lug conversion on all four wheels with parts from a V6 Accord and get larger discs as part of the deal. To do just the rear discs, you will need the rear hub/uprights, bearings, caliper brackets, calipers and rotors, and emergency brake cables, and you may need the suspension trailing arms as well. You can use junkyard parts for the trailing arm, hub, and caliper bracket, but you should have all bearings and bushings replaced, and you should purchase new calipers and rotors. You will also need to replace the proportioning valve with one for an Accord EX, and if you've never bled brakes before, it might be a good idea to hire a professional to do the installation. You also should replace the brake hoses while you have things apart, and may need to as part of the drum/disc conversion.

If you go the V6 5 lug route, then you need all the above parts from a V6 car, plus the front hub/uprights, wheel bearings, caliper brackets, rotors and calipers, and the proportioning valve from the V6 car.
Not exactly what you would call a simple task, eh? Personally, I like Option 1 the best, since I just dropped a bunch of money on new wheels. It would suck to have to get new 5-lug wheels.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
New User

Originally Posted by gshock
Not exactly what you would call a simple task, eh? Personally, I like Option 1 the best, since I just dropped a bunch of money on new wheels. It would suck to have to get new 5-lug wheels.
I move in direction of use an Accord EX parts to did conversion, but the proportioning valve that I bought from an EX is of 4 ports instead the original LX proportioning valve that is 6 port (therdore is not compatible). I do not know from what any Honda Model we can use an Proportioning valve and also a master cylinderto complete the conversion. Any help will be great!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: 6th gen Accord rear disc conversion

well i don't have a 6th gen nut i know the v6 front assembly w/the s5 stamp will fit on my cb7. just have 2 take the whole arm w/ caliper, disc, knuckle & hub. axles & suspension all fit perfect. i don't think i need the ebrake cables since i already have rear discs, but i think i can make the rear discs from the v6 work as well. think i just need the rear hubs, caliper brackets, calipers, discs & pads since they r obviously bigger.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bumping this thread from the dead. Looking into doing a disc brake conversion on my 2000 accord lx sedan. Is there anyway to swap the drums for discs without doing the 5 lug conversion? I just bought new wheels and do not want to convert to 5 lug.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JPolen01
Bumping this thread from the dead. Looking into doing a disc brake conversion on my 2000 accord lx sedan. Is there anyway to swap the drums for discs without doing the 5 lug conversion? I just bought new wheels and do not want to convert to 5 lug.
LOL read option 1, remove rear brake setup from the EX 4 cyl model, should be 4 lug.