Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

10kg/mm & 6kg/mm too much for koni's yellow on street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10kg/mm & 6kg/mm too much for koni's yellow on street?

thats my setup, 10kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear on a civic 94 hb, the coilovers are unidentifiable but look alot like groundcontrols but they have no markings, ill post pics later. They do have a machined lip to sit on the koni shock body just like the current groundcontrol coilovers. the spring has the rate stamped in the coil and i think ers paints the rates on right?

Im just wondering if these spring rates are usable on the street because my ride quality seems very rough. i can feel every imperfection in the road and when i hit a pot hole it feels like someone banged my frame hard. my ride height is pretty reasonable, im not slammed at all-pics will be posted later. the rear end kind of does an odd hop or ramps off bumps and big cracks in the road also, it is more evident when i have the shock to full soft all around. also when i go up a drive way at any angle i hear a loud suspension pop like my coilover went full droop and a sudden pop when it goes back into place. only the rear coilovers do this.

Also how can i tell if my koni yellows are blow? i dont have a bouncy ride al all and i removed the rear ones and compressed it and it came back up smoothly with no leaks that i could find. i havent checked the front yet.

Im trying to decide what to do, buy a gc kit for my koni's which might be blown and later get them rebuilt or buy a new set of dampeners. What is a good cost effective dampener for street driving primarily. im trying to stay under $600 for the whole setup if i choose that way.

In case i do choose to change rates what does this mean 20*62*10kg/mm
im wondering because if id want to get ers springs i want them to be 2.5 in od and im not sure if thie metric coil is 2.5 od, civic ers springs are 2.5 inches right? and you need the right sized threaded coil over to fit those springs around right?

Thanks for helping me out, im pretty indecisive and some suggestions would really help me out.

Modified by KillaB- at 8:51 AM 4/23/2005
Old 04-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 10kg/mm & 6kg/mm too much for koni's yellow on street? (KillaB-)

bump, just need some input, thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 03:20 PM

come on help me out.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At about 540 lbs front and 312 lbs rear, I would not say those are really overly aggressive rates for the street from what a lot of folks discuss here although I would think it is inviting a fairly good chunk of understeer. The fronts are pretty aggressive depending on there you drive but the rears are a tad on the softer side than many run.

Everyone has a different perception on ride quality and that is also very dependant on the roads you drive but my fist reaction is to wonder if the car is not really pretty low. Many cars are actually lower than guys think they are once you actually measure them as they are just used to seeing it like it is and get used to it. If you are really quite low and are bottoming or hitting hard bump rubbers then that will quickly deteriorate the ride qaulity. A quick way to check is to simply raise the car a bit (1/2-3/4 inch) and change nothing else and see if the car gets better. If so, you just answered your own question. Also make sure that you don't have the rebound damping turned too high on the shocks, that will defiantely deteriorate the rife quality and seems to be very common around here of late. If the shocks are only a few years old or less, then try adjusting them to no higher than about halfway (about 1 turn from soft).
Old 04-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: 10kg/mm & 6kg/mm too much for koni's yellow on street? (CRX Lee)

thanks alot Lee, im going to try to raise it, like you said. see what happens.