Notices

AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story

Short Version:
Paid Typerman2001 $1800 for a full GSR swap. He told me the engine was 100% good, it just needed small parts that were missing. He said head gasket was good, just needed block passage coolant pipe, distributor and ECU to get running.

After 8-10 months I finally get the resources to get it running and I find out it doesn't have a head gasket, the piston rings and cylinder walls were rusted and the transmission is blown.

I have no receipt from him, only the AIM conversations and two witnesses so I would at best have a circumstantial case against him. I'm screwed and I can't make it back to school.

Long Version:

Okay, some of you might've remembered when I bought a GSR full swap off
Typerman2001 and I made a documentary thread to follow my swap. Off the bat, this is what I was receiving, and what I needed to get:
Full GSR head, block and transmission, OBD2 GSR harness with fuel injector plugs broken, no knock sensor, no IAT sensor, cracked stock exhaust manifold, no distributor or ECU for $1800.

What he said I needed to get the car running:
ECU, Distributor, block passage coolant pipe, valve cover gasket kit. Those were the major parts. He said that's ALL it needed. I asked him in person, (I have a witness with me) "Does it need anything else? How's the head gasket? Did you get it running prior?"

He said it was running perfectly and it was just leaking water out of the back.

A month went by, I couldn't get it started alone. It would crank and crank and crank. So I went and tried to get help from friends. A guy came by that had done 3-4 GSR swaps and he did his typical work on it and he said he couldn't figure out what was wrong. It would just crank and crank. We thought it had to be a wiring problem.

Eventually I gave up for a few months, I just couldn't get it started, I needed to start working. I didn't know what the expletive to do. I was just stumped. Months went by and honestly looking at the car pissed me off. Why did I even ******* bother getting into Hondas if all it is is lost money like this? I dumped nearly 6 grand into getting the motor and the parts to get it running, fucked over my mom so bad getting that money together and now I just have a 2600 pound paper weight in my car port.

Finally I got an expert to help me out. He said he'll get it started or he'll find out what's wrong with it, but either way something would get done.

He came over and he spent about 30 minutes with it, checking the timing, harness, wiring and everything. He tried to crank it and it made this bad scratching noise. It sounded like the crank was scratching or the pistons were scratching the cylinder walls.

I wanted to ******* die right there. It didn't sound anything like it did 8 months ago. I didn't know what the expletive was wrong. So we took off the plug wires, loosened the valve cover and when we took off the cam guards, what did we see? ******* water inside my engine.

If I tightened the valve cover, never wet my engine or anything, how the expletive did water get in there? He knew off the bat, something was wrong. He told me, "The car's been sitting here since you got it, so I know you didn't blow this engine. Something must've been wrong from the start."

We spent 2 hours taking the engine out and pulling it apart and it just kept getting worse and worse.

What did we find after we took the cams out and started trying to loosen the head bolts? The ******* head bolts came loose without a breaker bar or even a hard pull. The headbolts were BARELY tightened on. They were tightened looser than lug nuts.

That right off the bat, made me feel like a ******* idiot for trusting Typerman2001. I can't even believe everything I'm saying as I type this. I gave him $1900 for that motor, I'll be lucky to get $800 for it the way it is now.

When we got the head bolts loose and we took the head off, nothing but composites under the valves. #2 and #4 valves won't even close all the way because of composites under them. And he told me the head was perfect.

What else did we find? NO ******* head gasket. None there at all. We didn't even notice right away because we were just shocked looking at the pistons and cylinder walls that were practically brown. Then we looked at the block, and the bottom of the head and we kept thinking, "Where the expletive is the gasket?" We didn't remember pulling it off and leaving it anywhere and what's worse, I never took the head off the block, EVER. So it wasn't there from the start.

"Alright, at least maybe the transmission is okay", is what came across me and my friend's mind. The transmission seemed okay, and my friend had a GSR to test it on. He made a deal with me, "I'll give you my d16y8 for your blown GSR since it seems like just the block needs work and the head just needs service.

We shook on it, since I at least hoped Typerman2001 didn't give me a fucked up transmission. (Remember, this transmission has been sitting in my car for 8-10 months, never used since he sold it to me)

When he put it on, he said he couldn't even get 4th gear in. And when he shook the casing, he said it made metal noises like it sounded like something was loose inside the casing.

To bring closure, my friend backed out of the D16Y8 deal so I'm back to being fucked over with a busted GSR engine.

I don't even know what to do. Tom didn't write me a receipt, he didn't give me any proof of the transaction. All I have is a witness that was with me when I checked out the motor and asked him questions and made the exchange, and a person that's been on this board a while that can verify the car hasn't moved since I got the motor. I can't sue him because he's such a good ******* thief he avoids anything that would incriminate him.

I'm hoping at least the veterans of this board can help me get justice, or maybe me and my friends are going to take a road trip to SD one of these days.

Someone give me some kind of option to do. I wanna go back to ******* school already and this ******* piece of **** ******* screwed me out of 10 months of my life and $6000 worth of parts that didn't do **** for me. If he would've told me the transmission needed work and the motor needed a head gasket, that was only $250-300 out of the money he would've made off the motor and it would've saved me $2000 worth of **** happening to me, but $300 to him was worth more than $2000 to someone that gave him the benefit of the doubt and trusted him.

Modified by Essenar83 at 2:03 PM 4/22/2007
Old 04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (Essenar83)

so you bought a motor from someone knowing it needed work and didnt check all of these other things til after it was too late?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (dohcMONSTER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcMONSTER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you bought a motor from someone knowing it needed work and didnt check all of these other things til after it was too late? </TD></TR></TABLE>
He didn't say the motor needed work. He said it was missing parts.

He guaranteed me if I just bought the missing parts the motor would be good.

What are you doing? Defending him when he clearly fucked me over? Are you goin to sit there and tell me there's nothin wrong with me asking him "How's the head gasket?" and him telling me "it's okay you don't need a new one"?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (JdMeF9SiR2)

You really need to shorten that story up or add the jist of it under the full story.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM

damn. go to his house with a gun. J/k!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blahhhhh,when it comes to **** like this u should get a written agreement and get it notarized that if the engine doesnt work u get a refund
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He didn't say the motor needed work. He said it was missing parts.

He guaranteed me if I just bought the missing parts the motor would be good.

What are you doing? Defending him when he clearly fucked me over? Are you goin to sit there and tell me there's nothin wrong with me asking him "How's the head gasket?" and him telling me "it's okay you don't need a new one"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont get all butt hurt towards me i was trying to understand the situation. Im not defending him but it is your fault that you didnt get a written, signed, notarized agreement or anything in writing for that matter
Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (esco562)

Old 04-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blahhhhh,when it comes to **** like this u should get a written agreement and get it notarized that if the engine doesnt work u get a refund</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgive me for being new to the Honda scene entirely when I bought this engine.

You don't think the huge part where I said, "I don't even know what to do now" and "I can't sue him because I don't have any proof that would incriminate him" was a clue to you that I knew I was fucked over?

I figure I could just fukk up his reputation here so people know not to deal with this guy.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (dohcMONSTER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What else did we find? NO ******* head gasket. None there at all. We didn't even notice right away because we were just shocked looking at the pistons and cylinder walls that were practically brown. Then we looked at the block, and the bottom of the head and we kept thinking, "Where the expletive is the gasket?" We didn't remember pulling it off and leaving it anywhere and what's worse, I never took the head off the block, EVER. So it wasn't there from the start.

</TD></TR></TABLE> How in the hell ?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch I have some extra peices to help you rebuild it if needed.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

damn that sucks man
Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (mrnut)

ouch, hard to trust people these days.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:51 PM

why wont you just talk to him i believe his aim sn is skreggsr12
Old 04-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"After 8-10 months...."

buyers fault. nuff said.

just read this also....

"What did we find after we took the cams out and started trying to loosen the head bolts? The ******* head bolts came loose without a breaker bar or even a hard pull. The headbolts were BARELY tightened on. They were tightened looser than lug nuts."

newb or not. use common sense.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (STREETWERKZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STREETWERKZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buyers fault. nuff said. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (LongBeachEP3)

^^^^ you guys make no sence If someone sold you a complete swapp and told you that all you need is dizzy and some small shyt and thats it. I really doubt that your going to pull the cams out to check headbolts. Its suppose to be a complete swapp ready to run. Anyone that said they would do this I would call bs to your face. I guess all theses people that buy motors from companies like jpr,password,hmotors all do the same. Hell no. swapp and start. Thats all this guy did. As he stated.

Buyer, you should of gotten a bill of sale with anything you buy. Really when your spending this much money with someone. Hell I give recipets to customers that spend 20 buxs or so. Business is business. And the fact that its 10 months later does not help your case to good. You kind of should of been werry of the price from the begining. $1800 for a complete good swap? hell a good tranny is going for 600-700 alone. Not to talk about a turn key long block swapp for a lil over 2k. You and typerman2001 need to have a talk. Let him know about this thread so he can put his side of the story up. A refund should be issued if it was done on purpose. Or a partial refund. This is just seeing it as a third party. Or just drop 1k and rebuild the motor that you have and have a 0 mile motor and be done with it. You kind of get what you pay for. But that does not mean be scammed if that what it was. I seen all kind of good deals here. Some to good to be true. Some are members in a bad situration that need cash. you should of did a comp test right there on the spot. The tranny was on it right. Bump that btch over.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

never trust ppl who sells motor in ht...unless the motor still in the car so you can test drive
Old 04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (1ntegrat10n)

bump
Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sucks bro sorry to hear that......... u guys should really talk it out
Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (Dc2Fiend)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dc2Fiend &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sucks bro sorry to hear that......... u guys should really talk it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

well its been over 1 year whats there to talk about?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (1.8L_allmotormilitia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1.8L_allmotormilitia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well its been over 1 year whats there to talk about? </TD></TR></TABLE>

well just trying to help u never know
Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater
I really doubt that your going to pull the cams out to check headbolts. Its suppose to be a complete swapp ready to run. Anyone that said they would do this I would call bs to your face. I guess all theses people that buy motors from companies like jpr,password,hmotors all do the same. Hell no. swapp and start. Thats all this guy did. As he stated.

call B.S. i do look over what i buy. both motors and one of the trans have been pulled apart and reassembled. and i bought them from a trusted friend. i also got to drive it when it was in his car. motor felt strong, trans had a slight grind in 3rd. i knew what i was getting into, and i still pulled them apart. i bought this motor recently. i even got to drive it 2 weeks before i picked it up. but i still bought a new oil pump, water pump, gaskets, spark plugs, fuel filter, plug wires, cap, rotor, etc. just to make sure it was good.

just makes sense.

and...youre saying that after 8-9+ months of a motor sitting in your garage with who knows what sort of coolant/water in it, that you wouldnt inspect it a little before you installed it? not to mention, you can see the edges of a head gasket on a motor anyway. this is another case of a little kid wanting to play cars with the big kids.

the guy didnt scam him, even if it WAS missing the head gasket. its the buyers responsibility to check it out before hand. he bought it FACE TO FACE. buyer beware. common sense, well.... i shouldnt say common sense. its good sense to look over what you are buying.

if i remember correctly, this is the SECOND scammer thread the OP made about typeRman over this same swap. the other one was MONTHS ago. and it was for a separate reason.

speaking of scammer...... what if typeRman didnt know that it was missing the headgasket..... i mean.... the OP tried to sell the same swap. what if some other poor sap would have bought it and the guy said, "i bought it from blah blah blah, the motor is 100%"
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...36680
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...86824

yeah.... he did make a thread before.... check it out:

STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1881258

Originally Posted by Essenar83
It's been over 6 months since I bought this motor off Tom, and it seems like every time I solve the previous problem, I run into a brand new one.

I'll skip the heavy details and stick to the changes and what matters:
1999 GSR head, 1995 GSR block, 1999 GSR transmission
OBD1 GSR ECU
OBD1 Civic EX wire harness
OBD1 Fuel injectors
New spark plugs
New OBD1 GSR Distributor (Distributor kings)

What I have checked:
Compression (No knocking, no leaking oil, motor has good compression all across)
Fuel (Pump is working, fuel is in the rail)
Spark (Checked all 4 wires, getting spark)
Top dead center, timing, all checked

What I'm missing, that a lot of people say won't make a difference getting the car started, only getting the car to run right:
Intake Air temperature sensor
Knock sensor
O2 sensor

The EX harness doesn't fit right at all, so I'd have to solder and hack the **** out of it to get it to fit the GSR engine. The EX harness also doesn't have a knock sensor plug so I'd have to find one and wire it manually.

The options I have left. I'm flat ******* broke so any suggestions over even 50$ aren't warranted or up for taking.
1) Pursue Typerman2001 for my money ($1900 for the motor, I wouldn't try to charge him the $350-400 I had to spend on extra parts to complete the motor. This includes the stabilizer bar for the shift linkage, the block passage coolant pipe or the distributor)
2) Since the motor has compression, I could part out the head, block, ECU and transmission and use the money to buy a single-cam vtec motor or a B16 and HOPE that works.
3) Try to deduce the only remaining options that could be wrong with the motor.

A few things-
One of the mechanics I had look at the motor said that some Hondas have a two plug distributor, and others have a three plug distributor. He said that since my harness has a 3 plug connection and the ECU has a 3 plug connection, that my distributor should have 3 plug connections.

Another suggestion was that the wire harness for the 93 EX engine doesn't match the OBD1 GSR engine set-up and that I would need an OBD1 GSR harness to get it running.

My other friend said I need an OBD2 harness and ECU or an OBD2 harness wired to an OBD1 ECU, because he said an OBD2 head needs OBD2 wiring.

I don't really know what to do at this point and I've invested ALL of my $8000 I wanted to go toward a running hybrid to use when I move to Frisco to go to school.

Ladies and gentlemen, this Civic is the reason why I've missed over 6 months of school and education. If I don't figure something out, I'm gonna end up being a ******* plumber for the rest of my life.

<FONT SIZE="3">the word, SCAMMER is thrown around too loosely here. </FONT>

Modified by STREETWERKZ at 9:35 PM 4/22/2007
Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story (Dc2Fiend)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^ you guys make no sence If someone sold you a complete swapp and told you that all you need is dizzy and some small shyt and thats it. I really doubt that your going to pull the cams out to check headbolts. Its suppose to be a complete swapp ready to run. Anyone that said they would do this I would call bs to your face. I guess all theses people that buy motors from companies like jpr,password,hmotors all do the same. Hell no. swapp and start. Thats all this guy did. As he stated.

Buyer, you should of gotten a bill of sale with anything you buy. Really when your spending this much money with someone. Hell I give recipets to customers that spend 20 buxs or so. Business is business. And the fact that its 10 months later does not help your case to good. You kind of should of been werry of the price from the begining. $1800 for a complete good swap? hell a good tranny is going for 600-700 alone. Not to talk about a turn key long block swapp for a lil over 2k. You and typerman2001 need to have a talk. Let him know about this thread so he can put his side of the story up. A refund should be issued if it was done on purpose. Or a partial refund. This is just seeing it as a third party. Or just drop 1k and rebuild the motor that you have and have a 0 mile motor and be done with it. You kind of get what you pay for. But that does not mean be scammed if that what it was. I seen all kind of good deals here. Some to good to be true. Some are members in a bad situration that need cash. you should of did a comp test right there on the spot. The tranny was on it right. Bump that btch over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: AVOID Typerman2001, MAJOR scammer, long story