Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

California and Street Racing new laws .....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California and Street Racing new laws .....

Im more involved in the european car community - every now and then i get on here and read whats going on in the import drag racing world. After coming across this new law I figured I put it out there as best as I can

Intresting read in this months SEMA Magazine Law and Order section which I have re typed since I cant find a link for it ....

California Street Racing
Existing law in California allows law enforcement to arrest and take into custody a person determined to have been enguaged in street racing. The law also provides for the removal and seizure of the motor vehicle used in the contest. A vehicle impounded under these provisions is required to be impounded for not more than 30 days. New Legislation being considered in the state would require vehicles to be inspected the state police to determine whether the vehicle has been modified for speed enhancement beyond the manufacturers origional equipment specifications. The bill will also require that an additional registration fee of $30 be collected for a motor vehicle so seized and that the motor vehicle be designated as speed enhanced on the certificate of registration for that motor vehicle. SEMA is working with the bill's sponsor to mitigate the inadvertent effects of this bill on law-abiding motorists.

So what does this mean to those of us with aftermarket equipment .....

Intresting law ...basically this now gives cops even more of a reason to pull over a car that may "appear modified" for speed contest use, weather it be for legal or illegal purposes....

IF ANYONE IS ON ANY OTHER CAR FORUM POST UP THIS INFORMATION AND SPREAD THE WORD AROUND ....THE MORE PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS THE BETTER
Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: California and Street Racing new laws .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lSx...layer_embedded
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

la puente........aww good place love it there
Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont get the new law thing wat does it mean?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by daygoVR6
Im more involved in the european car community - every now and then i get on here and read whats going on in the import drag racing world. After coming across this new law I figured I put it out there as best as I can

Intresting read in this months SEMA Magazine Law and Order section which I have re typed since I cant find a link for it ....

California Street Racing
Existing law in California allows law enforcement to arrest and take into custody a person determined to have been enguaged in street racing. The law also provides for the removal and seizure of the motor vehicle used in the contest. A vehicle impounded under these provisions is required to be impounded for not more than 30 days. New Legislation being considered in the state would require vehicles to be inspected the state police to determine whether the vehicle has been modified for speed enhancement beyond the manufacturers origional equipment specifications. The bill will also require that an additional registration fee of $30 be collected for a motor vehicle so seized and that the motor vehicle be designated as speed enhanced on the certificate of registration for that motor vehicle. SEMA is working with the bill's sponsor to mitigate the inadvertent effects of this bill on law-abiding motorists.

Intresting law ...basically this now gives cops even more of a reason to pull over a car that may "appear modified" for speed contest use, weather it be for legal or illegal purposes....

IF ANYONE IS ON ANY OTHER CAR FORUM POST UP THIS INFORMATION AND SPREAD THE WORD AROUND ....THE MORE PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS THE BETTER
do you have the original link to where you got this? and basically this means, if you get caught racing they will arrest you, pull out your motor, take a look at it and see how much you have modified it, so good luck getting your car back
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 6footmidget
do you have the original link to where you got this? and basically this means, if you get caught racing they will arrest you, pull out your motor, take a look at it and see how much you have modified it, so good luck getting your car back
ROFL... They won't pull your motor apart to check if you have modified the internals due to the simple fact that the cost involved would be more than the state could afford for such a small outcome... They will look under the hood and if they see the basics like I/H/E, then they will pop you and say you modified it beyond manufacturer specs.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 AM

Issue: Street Racing
Bill: AB 986
Description: Would require an inspection by California Highway Patrol any vehicle impounded for engaging in a speed contest to determine if the vehicle has been modified for speed enhancement beyond the manufacturer's original specification; increases registration fees by $30 for vehicles found to be so enhanced.

Here is the link to the Assembly Member that wrote it:

http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/mem...ation2009.aspx

If you live in his district and registered to vote, send him a letter or call him and let him know what you think. I will be calling my Assembly member for sure.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Clipsed
ROFL... They won't pull your motor apart to check if you have modified the internals due to the simple fact that the cost involved would be more than the state could afford for such a small outcome... They will look under the hood and if they see the basics like I/H/E, then they will pop you and say you modified it beyond manufacturer specs.
Who's to say that even if its lowered or has rims that its for racing? Its up to the officer thats checking it.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My main problem with this is that they'll pull over people who they believe engage in street racing meaning if your drive an import prepare yourself to see lights but if you drive a muscle car your fine.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scanlessfool
but if you drive a muscle car your fine.
thats until the muscle car get broke off by a honda, then they just feel plain stupid
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i hit the ''contact us'' button to send him something will it reach him? it says due to the high number of whatever only constituents will respond
Old 05-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we need to get some muscle cars busted so MAYBE they'll lay off the honda's. They pulled me over in ontario, CA when i was about to leave the burger king parking lot. STUPID
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6footmidget
if i hit the ''contact us'' button to send him something will it reach him? it says due to the high number of whatever only constituents will respond
I guess we can blow up their phones with calls. The good thing is it NOT law YET.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.

we do not need to put the blame on anybody besides the people ruining the hobby for us... they don't have time to figure out if you just mod the car for fun, or mod it to street race. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, they are going to call it a duck...what we need to be doing it ACTIVELY staying on top of all these new regulations, writing letters and standing up for out HOBBY! I am a grown *** man and DO NOT street race, but I have a passion for motorsports and improving a machines performance, with that being said I DO NOT street race, I'm NOT a criminal, and i do not feel that I should be profiled because of not only how i look now but also because of the car i choose to drive. WRITE LETTERS, CALL THESE PEOPLE, and LET THEM KNOW!!! many of you are of age to vote, so have a say... SO STAND UP!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.

Go to the website and make an EDUCATED response to this... it's REALLY easy...
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Real Sh*t

p.s. did you still want to do that body work??
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LoSt is BlaCk
Go to the website and make an EDUCATED response to this... it's REALLY easy...

tight, lost is black is right. i have a BAR legal honda civic wit a LS in it and i dont like it when i get pulled over for no reason. it is funny that they pop my hood and try to give me a ticket and then i show them my BAR papers and sticker, LOL.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by babiboidb1
we need to get some muscle cars busted so MAYBE they'll lay off the honda's.
i agree, yesterday i got pulled over cuz a cop decided he wanted to be an *** and try to tell me he was going to have my car towed off because it was too low cracked windsheild and it was too loud , last time i checked in alabama there isnt a law saying you cant modify your car beyond stock specs. cops seriously hate hondas, i mean i did nothing wrong, at all, and i got pulled over, he didnt give me a ticket but still pissed me off
Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM

It is ridiculous the profiling done by the cops. If you drive any import with modifications then you must be a street racer or up to not good. There has to be something we can do.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah he was sayin " you need to take you little fast and the furious car and take it somewhere else, i dont want to hear your exhaust poppin aroundme anymore", i wanted to get out take his gun from him, place it in his mouth, and kindly blow his brains out
Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by daygoVR6

California Street Racing

here's the link
http://www.sema.org/sema-news/2009/0...hnical-affairs