Southern California Fresno & Below

CA SMOG Legal Swap Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA SMOG Legal Swap Info Needed

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 93 Civic Si HB and have a question about engine swapping. After you have finished laughing at me I hope you answer my newbie question or point me to the thread that already covers my question.

I want to place a JDM Type R B18 in my HB. The question is, how can I be assured that the JDM engine will pass CA SMOG? I do not want to buy the engine and then have the SMOG shop say it failed due to whatever reason.

Thank you all in advance for your responses. The world of swapping in engines from Japan is very new to me.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:20 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CA SMOG Legal Swap Info Needed

If you REALLY want to be assured, talk to the Referee that will be performing the check to obtain your BAR label. It doesn't matter what any of us say even though there are very knowledgeable people on here, the rules ALWAYS seem to be open to interpretation.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:24 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

You are assured it will pass by attaching all CA smog required parts. It really is that simple.

Also, you have to take it to a BAR referee station, you cannot just put the engine in and go to a smog shop.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know. Thanks again for the guidance. My first task if to find a local referee and ask them a few questions.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use all USDM equivalent emissions hardware, including the ECU, from the year of the vehicle that the motor came out of. So if you're using an OBD2 B18C, you'll need to use OBD2 evap systems, OBD2 wiring, and an OBD2 ECU. Yeah...have fun with that one. Realistically, you would probably be better served using a B17A1, which is the 92-93 GSR motor. At least then you won't have to worry about rewiring your whole damn car.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:08 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Use all USDM equivalent emissions hardware, including the ECU, from the year of the vehicle that the motor came out of. So if you're using an OBD2 B18C, you'll need to use OBD2 evap systems, OBD2 wiring, and an OBD2 ECU. Yeah...have fun with that one. Realistically, you would probably be better served using a B17A1, which is the 92-93 GSR motor. At least then you won't have to worry about rewiring your whole damn car.
'95 GSR would be my go to engine for his car.

Then piece together a carb legal turbo kit and have fun.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been doing some research as well when it comes to USDM and JDM engines in CA and came across this website

Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts Regulations

it talks about replacement engines and JDM engine. if you dont want to visit the page this is what the Air Resource Board states
Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
  • The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
  • The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
  • If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
  • All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
  • Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

That's the perfect website to do your research on.