Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Civic LX: Questions on swapping VTEC engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 2004 Honda Civic LX: Questions on swapping VTEC engines

Hi everyone before I start asking questions I need to explain why I want to use this specific car...

about 5 months ago I got into a car accident in my first car which was a 2004 honda civic lx. It is now totaled and me and my older brother are sharing payments on a car we choose just to get by. Im currently 18 years old. I have enlisted in the navy and I got very good jobs available to me because I scored high on my ASVAB test so anyway within a year I want to purchase my "first" car again because I miss it so much. I have enough knowledge in engines and cars to where I know what people are talking about. Within the year money wont be much of an issue. I am in no rush to upgrade slowly.

But here are my questions:

What engines are going to be able to fit inside the chassis? I've never gotten a straight answer because the majority of honda swaps are in 1990-2000 civics so everytime i search online i can never get straight answers... I was thinking either K(20,20a,24)? or B18c ...?

What things would need to change? I know forsure the trans, axles, ECU (tuned from hondata?) I know there's more

Will the engine bay need some modifications?

I know someone that can possibly engine swap my car but to be on the safe side can someone give me a well rounded quote on how much of the actual swap labor would be? (not the actually purchasing the engine just the labor)

ALL YOUR ANSWERS AND HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPREICATED THANK YOU!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Honda Civic LX: Questions on swapping VTEC engines

On 7th gen civics your best and only option (if you don't want massive non sense investment) on swap is a k series. Either k20 from rsx type-s or k24 from tsx will be your best choices. ECU will be Hondata k-pro from 02-04 rsx type-s (maybe others too). And of course you will need motor, trany, axles, shifter cables, etc etc etc Mods to the engine bay, will need to change location of timing belt support and maybe others. There are some kits for engine supports.

B18C and older engines will be more difficult as chassis and parts are not compatible with 7th gens. Besides, money can talk!