Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Good for Beginner or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good for Beginner or Not?

Hey,
I see some oil in my spark plug tube (the spark plug kept popping out). So I'm told I need to replace spark plug seals. I've checked out the videos and talked to my local car guy and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself. Should it be easy enough for a beginner (in fixing my own car) or should I pay to get it fixed (I dont really have the cash)?? Also, I'm planning on just fixing the upper seal , do you think that would fix it or do you think the lower seal needs to be fixed too? If so ,should I attempt that??? I'm concerned about the pieces falling off and me not being able to get it back together correctly? If I take my time do you think a beginner could conquer this? Also, how do I clean the tube of the oil??? Just spray the break cleaner in it? Or is there another way?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:36 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Good for Beginner or Not?

Just do the VC gasket and the spark plug tube gaskets... VC gasket Acura Integra 1994 RS 1.8L | eBay You did not give a MM&Y of car???? 94
Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RainbowHiker
Hey,
I see some oil in my spark plug tube (the spark plug kept popping out). So I'm told I need to replace spark plug seals. I've checked out the videos and talked to my local car guy and I'm pretty sure I can do it myself. Should it be easy enough for a beginner (in fixing my own car) or should I pay to get it fixed (I dont really have the cash)?? Also, I'm planning on just fixing the upper seal , do you think that would fix it or do you think the lower seal needs to be fixed too? If so ,should I attempt that??? I'm concerned about the pieces falling off and me not being able to get it back together correctly? If I take my time do you think a beginner could conquer this? Also, how do I clean the tube of the oil??? Just spray the break cleaner in it? Or is there another way?
What car/engine?

FCM indicates an Acura B series motor which is quite a bit easier than say a D15 non vtec motor.

You indicate upper and lower seals which sounds much like a D15 non vtec motor.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should start with the upper seals first. Get a full gasket set like fcm said but for your correct application.

Im in the same boat except my wires stick to the plug. But I replaced the upper seals a couple of weeks ago haven't checked to see if it still leaks. Either way the car drives fine.

Honestly though if its the lower and you don't want to do or take it to the boys with ski masks and lifts id just drive on it. Good excuse for a mini me or swap too haha.

​​​​​​EDIT: Assuming you have a non vtec sohc
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey people,
Sorry, I didn't state my car/year/make. I actually thought I was blogging if under the "DelSol 1992-2000" title.
Anyways, I have a 1995 Honda Del Sol. And I DID IT!!
I did the top plug seals and valve gasket. I'm figuring it must be correct because first of all there's not "oil all over the place", which is what my mechanic and a few others said would happen if its done wrong.
I changed the plugs and wires too. I will recheck it in a week or so. It seems to be running fine. Now I find I need my rear bearings done ,don't think I can do those, I don't have a machine to press it with(which I think said some places have) and it looks like it would be easier for someone in a shop to do it. I was priced "$250 for the rear hub bearing" that's with tax (Seattle Wa area). Does this sound like a reasonable price??? And it's not something I should do is it??
Thanks everyone for sending your advice!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RainbowHiker
Hey people,
Sorry, I didn't state my car/year/make. I actually thought I was blogging if under the "DelSol 1992-2000" title.
Anyways, I have a 1995 Honda Del Sol. And I DID IT!!
I did the top plug seals and valve gasket. I'm figuring it must be correct because first of all there's not "oil all over the place", which is what my mechanic and a few others said would happen if its done wrong.
I changed the plugs and wires too. I will recheck it in a week or so. It seems to be running fine. Now I find I need my rear bearings done ,don't think I can do those, I don't have a machine to press it with(which I think said some places have) and it looks like it would be easier for someone in a shop to do it. I was priced "$250 for the rear hub bearing" that's with tax (Seattle Wa area). Does this sound like a reasonable price??? And it's not something I should do is it??
Thanks everyone for sending your advice!
A 95 Del Sol still doesn't say which engine is in it. Is it the D15B7 non vtec motor or do you have the Si version with the D16Z6?

If you have drum brakes in the back, then it should just be a hub assembly you have to swap out as it's all incorporated.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...c_del_sol.html

Timken rear hubs for the 95 del sol is 63 USD each plus shipping.

Youtube civic/del sol rear hub replacement and you should see it's something you could do.