Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Will GSRs go up in value along with ITRs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will GSRs go up in value along with ITRs?

What are people's opinion on this? Right now, it's way cheaper to get a clean stock GSR than ITR. So it seems like a good time to buy a GSR if we are looking at future value. That is assuming that the future market will value GSRs highly like we expect for ITRs.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will GSRs go up in value along with ITRs?

Stock and clean titled examples have been going up recently I've noticed. Not as much as ITRs but more than LS or even RS models. Like ITRs there aren't many stock or unmolested GSRs left roaming around. Even the price of 99-00 Civic Sis have been climbing.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Totally different animal IMO. That's like comparing a 1991 BMW 325is to a 1991 M3. The 325is will command a premium price if all the boxes are checked(low miles, clean title, excellent condition, etc) but that same conditioned M3 would fetch 4 times that amount, if not more. I don't think the value is there as they are not limited production like the ITR. Still valuable, but not comparable.

Having said that, there have been some nice Honda's for sale this past year. A 2000 Civic SiR with 60,000kms sold locally to me recently and it was gorgeous. Similar mileage 1992 GS-R with the original B17 was for sale for like $7,000 but it was teal so kinda yuck . The DC2 GSR will and has followed suit but still no where near an ITR.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Probably not. A few reasons:

1) Production in greater quantity
2) No racing pedigree like the ITR
3) Aside from the VTEC motor, nothing really sets it apart from the LS/GS/SE
4) Ok in stock form, but not fantastic like the ITR.

Any Honda from that era that's stock and low mileage will certainly hold value. The GSR probably slightly more than most, but it will always play second-fiddle to the ITR. I honestly think the GSR probably won't hold value as well as the 99-00 Civic Si.

Basically, it's the NSX and ITR and everything else right now. Even the S2000 hasn't done what the ITR has in terms of resale. The S2000 held firm after production ended, but they haven't exploded like the NSX/ITR, except the CR version.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good points above!

Also, maybe a small amoint can demand a higher prices than other gsr's..

For example, there were so many white, red, green and black 2door gsrs and alot of green and white 4door gsrs,.. however, super sonic Blue pearl, that dark purple, and vogue silver (2001) can fetch a premium because there wasnt many if them made in the 2door body.. in addition, rare low production colors such as the nighthawk black 2001 4door gsr, titanium silver 2001 4door gsr and the voltage blue metallic 2000 4door gsr were very uncommon and highly desirable because of rarity..

Same goes with 1992 or was it 1993 Canadian integra gsr's in flint black without the automatic seatbelts.. hell, any 92/93 gs-r is prettymuch impossible to find with low miles, or in excellent all original condition nowadays..

Anything that isnt found easily (whether its a rare og color /super low miles/all original/single owner gsr's) should hold value, but dont expect selling price to "skyrocket" like itr prices.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great points. For some reason I love GSRs. I'm very happy with my ITR, but don't feel like getting a second one for example. But I'm always keeping my eyes out for clean, stock, low mileage dc2 and B17 GSRs.

Almost once every 2 weeks someone comes up to me to ask if they can buy my red gsr.

We will see how the market decides in the future, but who knows what will be the next car that will go up in value. If ITR's start selling consistently in the 30k range, then I can see GSR's sell in the teens.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nostalgia is kicking in for these old Hondas. I do think the GSR (and 92-93 GSR) are rising in value if they are clean and all original. I don't even think mileage is that big a deal.

I had a tough time selling my 60km EM1 but it was black and was modded. BAT wasn't interested at the time. All original it might have been worth more. If it is electron blue the price goes way up. My buddy just bought one that is heavily modded and he is reversing all the kid mods.

I had a black 97 del Sol with original B16a2 for a while. Had a lot of mods that I reversed and 265kms so not very low. Very fun car to drive!

Now I have a 94 Accord manual DX coupe with 173kms all stock as a daily. Super clean 2 owner with no accidents. Manual windows, locks and mirrors! I doubt this one is gonna go up lol
Old 10-26-2016, 02:29 PM

It's is all about mileage though, especially with the Hondas that people desire. The price difference between a 50K EM1 and 150K EM1 could be $7K or so. If an ITR, probably a difference of $12-$15K or more.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Missed out on a clean 1992 white GSR. I'm still kicking myself about it. Saw a one owner (old retired guy) 1996 white GSR for sale for $10k. Had 40-something thousand miles on it.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been wondering the same lately. I was lucky enough to find a 99% original 2001 GSR with 93K on the clock. Haven't driven her much since I bought my Saabaru and was thinking about putting her up for sale. Not sure if she is BaT material but there is no rust, has the typical milano pink paint at this point, few dings dents and scratches, wheels could use a refinish etc. I think the passenger side front fender has been replaced (no vin tag) but there is no accident history that I have found. Pretty much the definition of a really nice driver example.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:06 AM

NJ car its entire life? If so, how's the undercarriage?

I still look for low-mileage GSRs and Si's and would consider getting another if I find the right one. At this point though they don't really make practical daily drivers anymore. And any that's seen snow/salt are a b!tch to work on.

I could see BaT doing an auction for a super-low mileage version, but one that's about ready to hit 100K not sure.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00
NJ car its entire life? If so, how's the undercarriage?

I still look for low-mileage GSRs and Si's and would consider getting another if I find the right one. At this point though they don't really make practical daily drivers anymore. And any that's seen snow/salt are a b!tch to work on.

I could see BaT doing an auction for a super-low mileage version, but one that's about ready to hit 100K not sure.
I'll dig up the carfax when i get home. If i recall correctly, it has been a NJ/DE/MD car it's whole life. The undercarriage is really clean with only some superficial rust in spots (control arms etc). I suspect it was garage kept for most of it's life and mostly avoided salt/snow. I started to replace the timing belt and waterpump when i bought it at 86K but found the belt and pump looked new. Had a gates Tbelt and not oem....

My thoughts were the same about BaT. It's more or less in that spot where someone could really clean it up and make it mint or just add a few mods and track it without worry. It would be interesting to see what one would bring that has less miles and original.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I bet you could sell on BaT. Would prob sell for 7-9k. I think BaT people do appreciate GSRs.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by slooogsr
I'll dig up the carfax when i get home. If i recall correctly, it has been a NJ/DE/MD car it's whole life. The undercarriage is really clean with only some superficial rust in spots (control arms etc). I suspect it was garage kept for most of it's life and mostly avoided salt/snow. I started to replace the timing belt and waterpump when i bought it at 86K but found the belt and pump looked new. Had a gates Tbelt and not oem....

My thoughts were the same about BaT. It's more or less in that spot where someone could really clean it up and make it mint or just add a few mods and track it without worry. It would be interesting to see what one would bring that has less miles and original.
If you figure out a price, let me know. I want one for an autox car and something to tinker on without having to worry about ruining value. Can't do that with ITRs anymore.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00
If you figure out a price, let me know. I want one for an autox car and something to tinker on without having to worry about ruining value. Can't do that with ITRs anymore.
Will do... I noticed today after taking it for a spin that I faintly smelled coolant.. After some investigation I found that the original radiator is finally starting to give. Right along the top where the plastic meets the core it's starting to leak. She will be getting a new battery, radiator, thermostat, and hoses well before i decide to sell.

PM me your email and I will shoot you over some pics I took today. BTW - I'm on ITRCA as Dystopia.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unlike ITR's and NSX's, the GSR's were never the crème de la crème in the Honda world, therefore I don't see how they will increase exponentially in value over time. Yes, a clean, unmolested(lightly modded) low miles(preferred) will hold its value, I just don't see it increasing like the aforementioned models.

One thing, as pointed above, is the rarer models with the less normal paint jobs will definitely cost more than a red, white, black or green one. Kind of like the EM1's with the BP95 paint code. Looking at myself, I passed up on a few better EM1's because they were not electron blue, so I'm sure GSR's will probably be the same way.

I think the biggest thing now for "collectors" is originality, no rust and rolled fenders. I wouldn't think twice about a salvage title, specially for theft, just like I wouldn't care about high miles. On the other hand, I would never buy a car with rolled/rusted quarter panels due to the fact that you can't really fix it unless you replace the whole thing.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only GS-Rs that will go up in value are the 1992-1993 ones since so few were made. Even with that being said, they will never get to the value as ITRs. DC2 GSRs will always be priced higher than non DC2 GSRs, but their high production volume will greatly deter their price.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will only pay book value for a gsr. there are more cons than pros owning a car like that. especially living in a big city area with one. try living in a city area with one and put a cf lip on it, or any lip you will soon find out what im talking about. type rs are collectable cars, they most likely see the track more often than the street. ive seen a clean gsrs for sale more than the book value. thats why i dont own one. i put a grand more and i got the newer civic si, k20, vtc, 6spd and everyday i drive it i say thank god i didnt over pay for the gsr, as i got the civic si under book value.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joey1320
Unlike ITR's and NSX's, the GSR's were never the crème de la crème in the Honda world, therefore I don't see how they will increase exponentially in value over time. Yes, a clean, unmolested(lightly modded) low miles(preferred) will hold its value, I just don't see it increasing like the aforementioned models.

One thing, as pointed above, is the rarer models with the less normal paint jobs will definitely cost more than a red, white, black or green one. Kind of like the EM1's with the BP95 paint code. Looking at myself, I passed up on a few better EM1's because they were not electron blue, so I'm sure GSR's will probably be the same way.

I think the biggest thing now for "collectors" is originality, no rust and rolled fenders. I wouldn't think twice about a salvage title, specially for theft, just like I wouldn't care about high miles. On the other hand, I would never buy a car with rolled/rusted quarter panels due to the fact that you can't really fix it unless you replace the whole thing.
I've always wanted a SSBP, DVP, or Cirrus Grey integra. Rarely see them around vs the other colors.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aw614
I've always wanted a SSBP, DVP, or Cirrus Grey integra. Rarely see them around vs the other colors.
Even the Clover Green Pearl with tan leather interior GSRs are hard to come by. I had one a long time ago and I tore it up to help rescue my ITR. I was quite young and dumb back then.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27
Even the Clover Green Pearl with tan leather interior GSRs are hard to come by. I had one a long time ago and I tore it up to help rescue my ITR. I was quite young and dumb back then.
Unfortunately this is how most Hondas die/get ruined I think. I made some similar stupid decisions with my GSR swapped EG Hatch when I was 17-19.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aw614
Some guy in San Diego (forgot screen name at the moment) had an SSBP GSR for sale for a while. Not sure if it sold yet. I'll look for it later.

EDIT: It sold.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a silver 2001 GSR with 80k miles. All stock, and looks to be no rust. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, seemed more impulse and now I have 3 integras. One of the reasons I made this thread lol.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
I just bought a silver 2001 GSR with 80k miles. All stock, and looks to be no rust. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, seemed more impulse and now I have 3 integras. One of the reasons I made this thread lol.
Mind if i ask what you paid? PM me if you don't want to make it public. I'm just curious about how the prices are trending. I over paid for mine a bit over a year ago - it was also an impulsive purchase.... I told myself it would be nearly impossible to find a lowish mileage stock GSR like this somewhat local to me.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@slooogsr. I'll pm you. I overpaid a little bit, but I was ok with it b/c of condition and color.

Quick Reply: Will GSRs go up in value along with ITRs?