Notices

help with a rebuild

Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a rebuild

my buddy gave up on his d series project and went on to a b16. I was luvky enought to inherit the project but i have never rebuild an engine before so I'm asking for help and a push in the right direction as to what the hell I'm supposed to do. As you can see is in 101 pieces so I can not know where to start any suggestions?

Last edited by Joe_the_diy_guy; 10-09-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 10-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: help with a rebuild

Do you have a factory service manual?

From that you will learn the tools you need to measure everything to select the correct bearings etc etc.

Expect to drop half a grand or better on tools alone.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Do you have a factory service manual?

From that you will learn the tools you need to measure everything to select the correct bearings etc etc.

Expect to drop half a grand or better on tools alone.
yes sir i do have service manual and some of the tools required but at this point would it be better to take it to a machine shop?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Joe_the_diy_guy
yes sir i do have service manual and some of the tools required but at this point would it be better to take it to a machine shop?
That is entirely up to you. Do you want to rebuild engines? If you do, the investment into the micrometers and bore gauges is worth it.

If you don't want to learn that aspect, then have the machine shop do the whole thing. The cost is likely to be the same, the difference is what you can do later on down the road.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Like what TomCat is already saying, the only real benefit for you to rebuild that engine yourself is for the learning experience. It'd be perfect for that.

Otherwise, rebuilding that engine is probably pointless, even if you paid a shop to do it. I doubt it would cost much more to just purchase a (good) used D series longblock, I know HMO has full D series longblocks even WITH all of the sensors/accessories for $600->$900. For the longlbock alone I'm sure you could find good ones in the $400->$600 range depending on the exact model you're looking for.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Like what TomCat is already saying, the only real benefit for you to rebuild that engine yourself is for the learning experience. It'd be perfect for that.

Otherwise, rebuilding that engine is probably pointless, even if you paid a shop to do it. I doubt it would cost much more to just purchase a (good) used D series longblock, I know HMO has full D series longblocks even WITH all of the sensors/accessories for $600->$900. For the longlbock alone I'm sure you could find good ones in the $400->$600 range depending on the exact model you're looking for.
ive been tinkering with hondas for a few years now never really got into doing the internals or cylinder head always wanted to learn it but never really got into it ...untill now so tomcat was right i read the service manual religiously like it was a bible dropped about 550 to 600 on just tools alone ..now just working on parts found a few decently priced rebuild kits on ebay....i figure its worth it at least this way ill the tools to do this sort of thing for as ling as i want versus paying someone else the sane money to do it for me one time....ill lodt up some pics once things starts moving along ....
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Hysterically Calm

What's funny is that 600 on tools for this is cheap tools.

If you go with what the pro's use, you are going to spend 600 on just one tool. It's a grand for 1 Sunnen Bore Gauge with .0001" Indicator, another grand on a setting fixture for the bore gauge. Then it will be a good 300 for one of the top end Micrometer sets or possibly just one micrometer.

You can literally spend 10,000 on a set of tools for engine building and measuring.

If you go with Dyers, you are looking at over a grand just for the bore gauge handle alone, you still have to buy the indicator that mates with it.

One tip, since you likely didn't get the Sunnen bore gauge, wear gloves when you go to measure. I've read your body heat alone will change the readings you get when measuring bores on many bore gauges. And not just the thin rubber/nitrile gloves we wear to keep the greases and oils off. I mean the big thick work gloves when say lifting glass or carrying anything heavy sort of gloves.

Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathe...eywords=gloves

Cheers.

Addendum: Examples of premium tools one could invest in as a professional engine builder:
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...rs/770BXTZ-314

https://www.goodson.com/CF-1126-Sunnen-Setting-Fixture/

https://www.goodson.com/GA-2121-GA-2...l-Bore-Gauges/

https://www.goodson.com/GR-2241-GR-2...l-Bore-Gauges/

Then if you start looking into laser mapping for the bores and such you can be into tens of thousands of dollars for one piece of equipment. But that laser mapper will tell you every bit of distortion, surface problems and taper etc. to a bore.

I suspect it might be some of the technology used in the latest engines with their extreme tight tolerances that require things like 0 weight oil etc.

You can image what the machine costs, here is one such machine:

http://www.marposs.com/product.php/e...cylinder_bores

Last edited by TomCat39; 10-23-2016 at 12:06 AM.