Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

99 Civic B swap weird engine movement (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic B swap weird engine movement (maybe)

Hey guys. I just finished putting a B series in my 99 civic. I retained all stock mounts in all factory locations. I'm having this weird problem where when I coast in a gear (most notable in 2nd) my engine is moving around. It's moving around as if it was trying to kill but the RPM's remain steady at idle while coasting. Nothing seems out of the norm except it feels like the engine is moving around. I can feel the shift **** moving with it. I just replaced both of the front tq mounts. The top transmission looks good and the driver side mount is new as well. The only one I can't really see to well is the rear mount.

I got in my car and loaded up the engine using the brakes with the hood open to see if the motor is moving and it is moving a decent amount. I do have some new ES inserts for the front tq mounts )left and right) and the rear mount. I really didn't want to stiffen the mount in the rear to keep the stock feel.

Does this sounds like a motor mount problem or maybe something engine related. Seems like it only does it when I'm in a gear and coasting with the clutch pedal pressed down. I don't notice anything on acceleration or engine braking.

Anyone have this problem?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:09 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic B swap weird engine movement (maybe)

I thought you had to change the rear EM when doing a B swap into a civic, "I retained all stock mounts in all factory locations" ?
Something like this... Rear Engine Bracket for 96-00 Civic w/ B-Series swap | 50827-s04-n10 94
Old 08-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to change the rear bracket but the mount is the same. Only things you need are EM1 rear bracket (stock mount) , EM1 post bracket (stock mount), stock top transmission mount and bracket, dc2 front transmission bracket (stock mount at the frame), crv a/c bracket (stock mounts at the frame). I have all hooked up. I'm going to try to envestigate more. I will post a video of what I'm experiencing in the cabin tomorrow on the way to work.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I did the test again with the parking brake and started getting into first... The motor doesn't appear to love as much as I remembered. The problem is still there. I observed a little more on my ride into work this morning. Here are my findings

The problem only accuses in gear with clutch depressed. Engine braking seems fine in all gears. If I'm going over 20mph I feel the engine movement or shaking. I can get on the gas in 2nd fine and accelerate or engine brake and the vibrations goes away. The feeling very is almost like the car stalling where the vibration is felt like every other second. I don't hear any clunking noises when this is happening.

I do have to car running on s300 but have never had this problem with a base map. It's on an itr map.

I have looked at a datalog and didn't seem to see anything out of the normal.

I do have a s2000 throttle body on this engine. The previous owner had it on already. I noticed there is no way to set the base idle with this throttle body and is solely relying on the iacv. Maybe there is a problem with communication in a moving but idle condition when in gear? A/f reads normal when coasting.

The transmission is a gsr transmission with guaife LSD. Not sure if make that could be doing this as well? I'm just stumbled on this. I've never had this problem before.

I have attached a video to try and show what I'm dealing with.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the video

Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...nitec-3284209/
look under your car how shifter assembly is mounted to the engine and you will find the answer.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly don't know what the message here is? I'm using stock motor mounts so the engine is placed in the factory location at all points. The shift linkage bolts up like any other B series motor I have put in a civic or integra. I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the drive home from work I got on the highway and tried to do this in all gears and it seemed to do that depending on what speed I was going. Basically, when I coast in 2nd gear I will start at 40mph and shift from 3rd to 2nd and it feels a little hard to get in gear and I know immediately it will make the vibration and the vibration last until I come to a stop. So I got up to speed say 30mph and I coast and switch from 2nd to 1st. It's very hard to get it into first at anything over 20mph (even when coasting). I get the same vibration when coasting in 1st gear. Speed seems to correspond with the vibration per gear I am in. I'm going to check the rear mount tomorrow just to see but I'm sort of lost as to what is causing this. Could the differential cause this sort of problem? I have a Quaife LSD. When I have the front end up and I spin one wheel the other spins opposite which I'm pretty sure that is how they work. Unlike the factory where the wheels spin in the same direction. My Integra has that type of LSD.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Any videos of this engine movement?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The video above (not sure if it's working but I Can see it). I will make another video this evening when I get home with the hood off or something. That should tell me what the motor is doing when decelerating. I'm hoping it's the rear mount. I'm going to try and see the whole mount. Just free reving the motor with the hood up I don't see too much movement. Something is telling me it is the transmission but When I had it opened everything looked fine internally. The Quaife LSD looks fine. Bearings spun fine. I mean when the clutch is depressed the engine and the transmission are not spinning together anymore so it has to be something in the transmission or related to the wheels spinning while in a gear. I was going to put the front end on jack stands tonight and removed the hood. Get it up to speed on the jack stands and see if I can replicate the problem and look around the car. At least with the wheels off the ground if the motor is moving it should really move with no load on the axles.

If you watch the video above, you can see the camera shaking. That is the vibration I am feeling. It's like shake.........shake.........shake........ It's not a aggressive shape but in a timely matter. I can feel it in the car (my seat as well as the wheel). If you can imagine a pulsing feeling in the motor with a second delay between.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Any videos of this engine movement?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With transmission out of gear there would be no load on the engine so no torque, even up on jack stands there is little load on the engine. 94
Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Fish Twig

Well...it doesn't really show me anything but I think I know what you're talking about. The car is jerking back and forth at low rpm, correct?
Old 08-31-2016, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't say low rpm but at idle. Yes that is what it's feeling like.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing I noticed is that I can't seem to get a smooth engagement with the clutch. It's a Competition Stage 3 clutch. I have the same unit in my Integra and it feels different by a lot. The integra feels crisp and the civic doesn't feel the same. I can get into first and start driving the car without any vibration. In my civic, It always stumbles (acts like not giving enough gas when letting the clutch out to get into first). My acceleraton when in VTEC also feels lousy. I'm thinking that the LSD is suspect. I just don't know much about them to know how to troublshoot something like this. I inspected the transmission internally before installing it and all looked visually good compared to my other good working transmissions. The only thing I didn't check was the case preload and maybe that is not correct.

I have another GSR withouth LSD in I might put together and swap it out. See if that fixes the problem.

I tried to take a closer look at the rear motor mount but it seemed like it was in good shape. I would have replaced the mount when I swapped the motor if I saw it was bad.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 AM
Fish Twig

Kinda in the same boat, I now have hard race motor mounts, all 5. No go. I still have the engine jerking at low rpm. I now have to direct my attention to the 5spd setup. I'll keep diggin as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to take my hood off and put my go pro on the front windshield and see what the motor is doing when I let the car coast. I'm going to message David at Synchrotech to see what he thinks. See if he feels that it's the diff or not.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still haven't figured this problem out. Still the same problem.

Get a pulsating feeling in the car when coasting in gear only (clutch pedal pressed) decelerating only. It does it in all gears depending on MPH. Does not do it in N or when engine braking. So if I have it in 2nd gear going over 30mph coasting and decelerating I get the pulsating feeling. If I flip into N it goes away. Hard to get back into gear and it pulsates until I get to a low speed in each gear except 1st gear. It will pulsate until I stop. The pulsating does not seem to slow down or speed up depending on MPH either. This is driving me crazy. I put a new MC and slave on over the weekend and bled the system for a long time.

Any new help would be awesome.

Clutch is a brand new Competition stage 3 clutch with 12lb competition flywheel. Both were brand new. I used the included bearings.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got some time to pull the transmission. The only thing that I found out of the ordinary was that one of the denton (SP) ***** was jammed in the ID of the bolt. The spring was in the bolt as well but the ball was stuck at the tip. I didn't have a washer on that one either. I change the bolt and ball out with a different one I had laying around and used a wash this time. Hopefully that was the causing the problem with the shifting and the pulsing. That was really the only thing that I found.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 AM
Fish Twig

flywheel probably needs a resurface, how did it look?
Old 09-24-2016, 04:45 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by atanatas
check this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...nitec-3284209/
look under your car how shifter assembly is mounted to the engine and you will find the answer.
That thread has nothing to do with this issue.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Flywheel looked good. Didn't really drive the car to much until I dropped the transmission and looked. I took a good look at everything and the surfaces all looked good. This was literally the only thing that looked out of the norm. I have the transmission back in just need to finish up this morning. Hoping for the best.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welp the problem persists but not as bad as it was. I can get a smooth engagement for the most part but I still get the pulsing in second gear. I noticed that when it does this if I shift slowly the gears will grind. I'm thinking maybe I just need to get a new clutch and resurface the fly wheel. I also have another GSR transmission I can put together and put in. I might just swap the transmission b/c I have it already and then if it's still there replace the clutch again even though it's only got 600 miles on it now. I don't know what to think about this now.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Fish Twig

Damn....
Old 09-27-2016, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I know. It's rather discouraging but I have a GSR transmission that I just need to put in a different case (which I also have). I have an assortment of shims from the last transmission I did so I might have what I need in that aspect. I'm just on the fence about getting another new clutch and resurfacing a new flywheel. A part of me wants to change the transmission only and see if the problem persists. At the very least, I will see if that gear set good. I just figure if it doesn't do the same pulsing I will know it's the transmission or the clutch/flywheel. Just a few hours of labor.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I'm trying to think what I need to look at with this problem. Trying to think of possible causes of this.

Basically trying to think what is going on between the engine and transmission at the time the problem becomes present.

Scenario
  1. Coasting in gear with the clutch engaged (engine braking) I don't get the problem
  2. Coasting in gear with the clutch disengaged with transmission in N I don't get the problem
  3. Coasting in gear with the clutch disengaged with transmission in gear I get the shuttering depending on gear, MPH, and RPM. It does not start the shutter until the RPM drops to idle when coasting.
If I rev the motor I don't feel the shuttering which makes me think it's dependent on a load being put on it. Like a higher load and it doesn't shutter. Would explain why when I accelerate I don't feel anything and with the clutch engaged I don't feel anything but in N I don't get the problem either.

So I'm coasting along. The tires are rotating b/c I'm coasting down the street. So that means the diff is rotating on the bearings. The ring gear is rotating so that engages the counter shaft which should turns the input shaft right? Since I"m in gear???? If the input shaft is moving then that means the clutch disc is also spinning at a different speed as the flywheel and the pressure plate which would mean that the throwout bearing is spinning as well. If I throw the car in neutral does the input shaft stop spinning? If it does then that would tell me that it's something on that shaft or connected to that shaft since it happens in all gears depending how fast I"m going.

Quick Reply: 99 Civic B swap weird engine movement (maybe)