Notices

CRX vibrates under acceleration only

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX vibrates under acceleration only

Dear Honda Enthusiasts,
2 weeks ago, I noticed that the front tires on our little CRX were showing steel belts on the inside edges........ Years ago, I'd lowered it just by adding Eibach springs. It has looked cool, but I never changed the struts or had it aligned...... hence the typical camber wear. (PS: I'm a 50 y.o. guy, but I still love monkeying with cheap older cars!) My 17 year old daughter drivers it to work every day, so I can't let her use it in less than dependable condition.

I'd had a set of Koni STR8 struts in the garage for at least a year, and while I was going to install them anyways, I figured now was the time to get a set of extended top hats (EBAY), and a set of SKUNK2 UCA's the for front. Further, I took the tires off my Miata, and had them mounted on the rims for the CRX, and they're now installed and doing what they should do! Also, I'd had a rear sway bar from a Civic SI in my garage for 5 years, always intending to put that thing in the CRX. Anyways, I put all that stuff in, and drove from my house to my shop this evening, where I could weld in the rear sway bar mounts. I noticed that the car now shudders ony under acceleration. It didn't do this prior to the installation of all these "upgrade" parts..... If you accelerate slowly, no problem. Once you're at "cruising speed", no problem. It is just under accelleraton that it vibrates; other that hat........ great little car!

Any others of you had the same thing?

Any help appreciated!
Cheers
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: CRX vibrates under acceleration only

Does it get worse when you turn one way while accelerating? Makes me think driveshaft issue. Maybe it unseated when you were swapping suspension bits over, maybe you damaged the CV's.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:22 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check wheel balance as well as the driveshafts as mentioned above.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Vibrations under load only, are commonly engine mounts and lower control arms. Or something silly like a loose bolt/nut

If it was a tire balance issue it would do it all the time.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire balance vibration is exacerbated under load.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For sure you have cheap re-manned axles. Had this problem exactly as you described, went to Gator Racing Axles and the problem instantly went away.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

lol i checked all the stuff in this thread, my bad lower front motor mounts were causing wheel hop.
fixed all motor mounts with $15 of window weld cuz i'm cheap as hell.

2 Dow U 428 Plus Windshield Urethane Primerless Adhesive Glue Sealant Window | eBay

Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, mounted mount eh?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boy, do I ever appreciate you all responding to this original question! (I asked the question late one night, checked back early the next morning, and never looked again..... Now I see several responses - that's great!)

SP33 nailed it...... it didn't change when turning, but when I was replacing the struts last week, I let the spindle swing out so far that it unseated the inner CV joint..... I just shoved it back in, but somewhere in the process, I damaged the inner CV joint and the boot too... sure enough, after one weekend of my kids driving it the surging / vibrating continued and there was grease all over the place. When I took it apart, I saw the boot had been damaged somehow (no doubt through my own negligence), and the demise of the axle was quick.

On another forum, I found that someone had damaged their inner CV the same way I did..... I figured that was my problem. Anyways, this evening, I bought another PS axle (a reman) put it in (these things always take way less time once you've just had it all apart a few days prior) and took it for a quick spin down the road. The car now runs perfect. Just need to get a wheel alignment, and it's all set! My daughters should be good for a few years driving this car back and forth to school and work.

Thanks again, Honda fans!