Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

anyone used OBX lsd yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone used OBX lsd yet?

I accidentally went into the civic forum *shudder* and noticed a thread about a quaife-esque OBX lsd. No one of course had any useful information there, but at $350 I'm sure as hell going to try to find out.

Are these things worth anything in a road race car?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (Chris Sawatsky)

kids in the drag forum love it thus far
Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (B18CXr)

Yeah, I just read the whole thread in the "other" forum and it is getting good reviews.

I wonder what the lock up % is?

What is the lockup % on a Quaife?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (jisu009)

from looking at both the quaife and OBX in person. The OBX looks like carbon copy of the quiafe like there is no difference at all. I have yet to drive one though.

I love my quiafe though.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (Mattamotor)

I bought one, its taken a good bit of machine work to get it into a 96+ gear box for a D-series. The bearings change from the different years so we have found. Among a few other issues it looks good. The box should be in a car in the next day or so and I will know for sure on its performance
Old 11-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (CRXSiR71777@aol.com)

anyone have a link or something?

i saw nothing of a LSD mentioned on http://www.obxracing.com

Old 11-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (carl_aka_carlos)

http://www.obxracingsports.com/

That is the link for the company, however I could not find the product listed on their site.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (jisu009)

Dad gave me the call yesterday and the gearbox is in the car with the OBX diff and to quote he said it was "****." He was very impressed how tight it was, could feel is ever so little in the parking lot, enough to know it was working and it was wonderful on the street. I guess all that's let is how long it will last.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:35 PM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (CRXSiR71777@aol.com)

I think some guy was doing 10 second drag racing passes on one and it held up. Thats pretty amazing.

350 is sure a bargain!

might have to look into it, seems like a good deal... they should sell it for 400 with a lifetime warranty like quaife has.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've only seen them in a couple of places Ebay and one other online shop. I think I read something on ebay that said that they did have a lifetime warranty.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fishnfst)

My understanding is that the warrantee is manufactures defects....not the same as Quaife's.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:47 AM
Banned

Location: at last finally back to sweet home, sunny north cali, usa

i'm going to buy one for project remix (d16z6) pretty soon. putting the LSD with SRR 4.7 FD soon.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:57 PM

i have one in my S1/A1 Hybrid tranny in my CRX, works Good so far
Old 11-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K-Drum)

Hmm...I might have to look into that. I have a J1 JDM Cable tranny...is that a similar setup as your's K-Drum?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:37 PM

yeah the J1 is the same gearing as the S1 only uses the Bigger imput shaft... 1 1/8" i think, mine is 1" so you can get a 92-93 LS tranny you can do the same thing I Did.

Type-r 1 thru 4th, an LS 5th for highway and an sweet sweet LSD.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:47 PM
.RJ

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1064239
obx lsd evaluation
Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K-Drum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the J1 is the same gearing as the S1 only uses the Bigger imput shaft... 1 1/8" i think, mine is 1" so you can get a 92-93 LS tranny you can do the same thing I Did.

Type-r 1 thru 4th, an LS 5th for highway and an sweet sweet LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, I can tolerate the high RPM's on the freeway...because it only gets driven to and from the track, unless it's out of town..then it will eventually just be trailered.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
DMF

Default Re: anyone used OBX lsd yet? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1064239
obx lsd evaluation</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great evaluation. I knew it was too good to be true. I'm sure for the price and a little extra labor it is a good unit for the average Joe, but i'm glad I have been waiting for a Quaife. Only 4 months now.. whats another few weeks.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not surprising at all... typical OBX product. But the ignorant ricer masses will still buy it, blinded by a "gool deal".
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 PM

Default Re: (Weston)

I wouldn't knock it until I start seeing them fail.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (sporkcrx)

You get what you pay for!

I wouldn't trust my tranny to them.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't knock it until I start seeing them fail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But which one of us is going to risk our transmission to try it? I sure won't, even if my ITR LSD were to die on me. As much as I would like to see a quality LSD for cheap, I seriously doubt anything coming from OBX... they have a long history of making crap products. It seems like every time they come out with something new, people get excited about the low price and say "oh, this will be different, you'll see...", but it just ends in disappointment like everything else. It's so cheap because they cut corners, have no quality control, and no R&D. This is the company who can't even make a shifter that doesn't break off in your hand; I don't think they're quite ready to be making internal transmission parts. I wish they would prove me wrong, but I don't see that happening...
Old 11-24-2004, 05:13 PM

Alright I have my Transmission on the Line and will have a Fully Built Head on the line with the OBX cams.

I have spare trannys and a spare motor so I'm not too Worried, but hell Don't knock it t'il you tried it.

you can keep saying OBX sucks, but until you have something to back it up, it don't mean anything. I'm not going to stand here and defend OBX, but I have their products and it's not caused any damage Or failed yet. and have not heard of any failures in the LSD OR the Cams.

I have heard/seen of Kaaz, quaife, Jun, Skunk, Greddy.... ect products breaking too so once we have reports of the first one or two breaking we not need to get into a pointing match of "I told you So!" until a pattern of failure is established. but I know all the OBX haters will be on the First "my obx blew up" post saying you should have bought a Quaife/kaaz unit.

But when the guys that posts "my kaaz/Quaife blew up" all they say is that sucks dude.

just my thoughts

Modified by K-Drum at 2:43 AM 11/25/2004
Old 11-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K-Drum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright I have my Transmission on the Line and will have a Fully Built Head on the line with the OBX cams.

I have spare trannys and a spare motor so I'm not too Worried, but hell Don't knock it t'il you tried it.

you can keep saying OBX sucks, but until you have something to back it up, it don't mean anything. I'm not going to stand here and defend OBX, but I have their products and it's not caused any damage Or failed yet. and have not heard of any failures in the LSD OR the Cams.

I have heard/seen of Kaaz, quaife, Jun, Skunk, Greddy.... ect products breaking too so once we have reports of the first one or two breaking we not need to get into a pointing match of "I told you So!" until a pattern of failure is established. but I know all the OBX haters will be on the First "my obx blew up" post saying you should have bought a Quaife/kaaz unit.

But when the guys that posts "my kaaz/Quaife blew up" all they say is that sucks dude.

just my thoughts

Modified by K-Drum at 2:43 AM 11/25/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts exactly..
Old 11-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K-Drum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but I know all the OBX haters will be on the First "my obx blew up" post saying you should have bought a Quaife/kaaz unit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It makes it a little easier to swallow when you know the company (Quaife) will stand behind their product and replace it for free - for life.

Quick Reply: anyone used OBX lsd yet?