Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

For Those Using the Toyo RA-1 Track Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:18 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For Those Using the Toyo RA-1 Track Tire

You may have noticed that the Toyo RA-1 is now sold with a UTQG treadwear rating of 100 on the sidewall. Before this year, it had a treadwear rating of 40.

I just sent their technical folks the following question:

"I noticed that this tire recently changed from a 40 treadwear rating to 100. Is this because the design and engineering of the tire actually changed, or is it still the exact same tire but you decided to change the treadwear rating after further testing?"

I received the following response:

"It is the exact same tire we just decided to change the tread wear rating after further testing and feedback from consumer track use."

Track on...
Old 05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For Those Using the Toyo RA-1 Track Tire (nsxtasy)

Thank you.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: For Those Using the Toyo RA-1 Track Tire (jisu009)

I guess that shows just how subjective that rating is maybe good for comparison among that same tire brand and that is about it.

Barry H.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: For Those Using the Toyo RA-1 Track Tire (apexinghonda)

I have used a couple of sets, drove from San Diego to Monterary, two people used the car on track.. drove back..

no apparent visual tire wear.... I love RA-1...

but then again I haven't driven any other R rater tires...still a track noob
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would agree with the upgraded wear rating. I wouldn't be surprised if hankook didn't follow.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:09 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (DX Hybridizer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DX Hybridizer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would agree with the upgraded wear rating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know whether I would or not, because I haven't used any other Toyo tires, and treadwear ratings are supposed to be most meaningful when compared within a brand, rather than between brands.

That being said, I should also note that so far, I am very pleased with the wear on my Toyo RA-1 sets, on both track cars. I've put around 500 track miles on them, and they still have plenty of tread (the circumferential tread grooves are still there, with plenty of depth, while the lateral tread grooves have almost disappeared). I would guess that they will last about as long as the Yokohama A032R, which lasted me 1000 to 1500 track miles until they started showing belts in spots. All sets heat cycled (by me) prior to use, none shaved. Treadwear ratings aren't supposed to be comparable between brands, as noted above, but FWIW the A032R is rated 60.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DX Hybridizer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't be surprised if hankook didn't follow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you got an extra negative stuck in there... Must have got you all excited.

FWIW, the Hankook Z211 (the one with slight lateral tread grooves, that looks sort of like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup) has a treadwear of 50, and the Hankook Z214 (the one with only circumferential tread grooves, like the Hoosier R3S04 or the Avon Tech R) has a treadwear of 40, according to their website.

I don't pay all that much attention to treadwear ratings on track tires, just because hey, they're track tires, they're not supposed to last a long time. But I listen to what users say about any particular track tire, to find out whether it's going to last as long as an A032R, or as short as an R3S04.

In any case, it's good to know that the tires are the same, that I can be happy using my 40 treadwear RA-1 knowing that they'll last as long as a 100 treadwear RA-1, and when I buy more, I can be happy using my 100 treadwear RA-1, knowing that they'll be just as sticky as my 40 treadwear RA-1 was. Hope that makes sense...
Old 05-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxtasy)

Think SCCA would have a fit if they bumped it to 140?