Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

:::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota:::

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota:::

The NASA HC Willow Springs weekend was fun as hell!

We basically had the same exact car from last year, aside from the new Aluminum SPC Front UCA and lower spring rates in the rear. Our settings were 16kg F, 18 Kg rear.

My main concern was that the car was very very unstable last year in Turn 8. It was "Pucker Factor 10" to go through that turn full speed. The rear end used to "hop out" in the bumps near the apex of the turn, and it made racing there really stressful and difficult. I was at least 4 times completely sideways in 8 at ~130 MPH last year, and that REALLY sucked.

So the goal for me this weekend, was to have fun, have a reliable car, confidently and safely drive through 8, and hopefully get to dice it out with the boys.

We accomplished all of the above.

On Friday testing, we got about 3 run sessions in. The car felt the best it ever did in 8. yay!

SATURDAY ******************************

On Saturday, I qualified on pole with a 35.9 (IIRC). Not very fast, but fast enough.

My competition in this race was Paul Bloomberg who was running his white Integra Type-R in H1. I think I was a few seconds faster than him, and unfortunately we never raced each other. He was racing with the pack of H4 guys and he himself was very impressed with how fast the H4 guys really are.

But during Saturdays race- it was one of the worst drives I had EVAR. I couldn't turn the damn car, or hit an apex to save my life! I am sure the Edik will post the video (or already has) and you can see how bad my line is. I didn't know what was happening in the car, so I just said "F*&-IT, I'm going to do everything I can to keep momentum in the car even if that means sacrificing the line." It was total "reactive" driving. The car was acting weird as hell, and didn't want to turn left especially.

But, I guess that is what made Saturdays race fun. It was fun to be slow enough to have Edik and Rick Howart, Steve Ellsworth and the H4 boys up MY *** giving me heat. It felt like I was racing with them...

There was a point in the race where I started to negotiate with the car, and realized that driving it a bit slower was better for it. So I did, and thats when I started to pull away...

So I ended up winning, but feeling like I had a horrible drive. I felt like I sucked, and then we checked out the car.

The shocks were not bottoming out. WORSE- the front UCA's were! And they bashed themselves more space in the shock tower... car was too low!

So, we raised the car, realigned it and prayed that on Sunday the car would not bottom-out during practice. We were also running out of tires...

SUNDAY, Practice/Race qualify **********************

On Sunday, I had to cut my laps short to conserve tires for the race. We did a few practice laps, and checked the suspension. We believed everything was all clear.

THE RACE QUALIFY WAS A BLAST! I almost opted not to do it to save tires, but Jonny Mac and Sam said "GO RACE, YOUR TIRES WILL BE FINE!"

Well, when the "reverse grid" qualify started, the only thing I could think about was the Super D CRX being driven by Bernardo Martinez. I was really looking forward to seeing how fast it was going to be.

Myself and Bernardo were in the back of the pack (reverse qualify), and when the green flag dropped I pushed to the front where myself, Sam Rothschild, and Steve Ellsworth had a THREE WIDE turn one (yeah baby!) I mention this because it was one of the highlights of my whole weekend. Actually, it was the first time I got to race into a corner with teammate Sam and it almost brought a tear to my eye...

Sam took the lead after turn one (HIS FIRST LEAD EVARRR! CONGRATS!) but myself and Steve took turn two from him (Steve was in front). I ended up passing Steve a few turns later in 8 (horsepower). And I just kept looking up to see where the Super D was... and he was a' comin!

It took Bernardo a lap to catch up to me and stick his nose up to my bumper. It was fun doing everything I could to keep him in front of him! I was very lucky he was nice, and distracted by his temp guages- we pulled away from the rest of the field together.

Bernardo was forced to pull off due to temps. I was relieved and bummed out at the same time. I enjoyed having him all over my bumper, and challenging myself to keep him behind me.

I realized we pulled far enough away from the rest of the field when Bernardo slowed down to pit. It was obvious that my car was running much better than Saturday, I ran a 1:35 flat- almost the 34 I was wishing for... So in short, I got the pole and looked forward to seeing the condition of the front tires.

The tires were wearing properly, and I was happy that I had enough left for the race.

SUNDAY, Race **********************

Sundays race was great-

I was on pole, and Bernardo had to start in the back of the field. At the start, as I was setting up for turn one, I looked into the rear view mirror to see where the super D was. I was hoping to get a car or two between myself and Bernardo. I see him come around Sam before the turn, and it was basically me and him by turn 3. Damn!

He was all over me like white on rice, and I was preparing for the moment that he would rip past me in 8 and the front straight. Lucky for me, I was able to keep my position for a couple of laps until he was forced to slow down and pit in due to heat (again). Although we didn't race the whole race- I really had fun and appreciated the racing we did get to have. I know Bernardo would have passed me eventually, but I guess the race gods were in my favor today. I was bummed out- I wanted to see the Super D break the HC Willow Springs record, and I wanted to get some video of him in front of me for us to post online...

During the race, I felt much better than Saturdays race. The car was better, I was driving it better- but unfortunately, without Super D, that meant I was all alone, and I could no longer see the rest of the H4 guys... I was contemplating if I should slow down and atleast be within striking range of the H4 guys so I can "feel like I'm racing with 'em" and not be the "Bored guy up in front with no one to race".

But istead, I decided to press forward and see how many of the Euro cars I can pass (BMW's and Porsche 944's) that were in split group that started 30 seconds before us... that was fun!

Toward the end of the race, there were two bimmers that got in contact in Turn 5 as a result of the oil the Edik dropped on the track, and that led to a full-course caution- which eventually ended the race.

Bernardo came up to me later and shook my hand, and said "Good Job", and I really appreciated that. I had a GREAT time in H1 even if the field was small, and I felt like I accomplished something. I have a good starting point for the car, and I can tell now where I need to make the car better. The car was painstaikingly SLOW in turns 2,3 and especially 4 and 5. We find out that the car is still bottoming, but not as* bad as before. We also know that we need to go up in tire size. The 205's we run are too skinny, so it's time for some 235's! (Yes, they fit)

The other thing I 'd like to mention, is the respect I have for the H4 guys. These guys are fast on a HORSEPOWER TRACK, imagine how they are at a technical track like Buttonwillow. Edik and Steve running 1:35's. 1:35's!!!!!?!?!?! Mad Respect. H4 guys can give an H1 car a run for their money. Underdogs Reprezzent!

So if you are an H1'er, even if there aren't alot of H1 guys out the weekend come out and play anyway, I'll bet you Edik, Sam, Steve, or Rick will have a little "somethin' somethin'" for you to make your weekend interesting. They did for me and Paul for sure.

Well, although I got another quote-unquote "win" the real win was that SAM GOT HIS FIRST PODIUM!! CONGRATS!! YAY! A double podium for Team SGR/Autocannon.

The highlights of my week were having Bernardo, Edik, and Steve all up in my junk, and being on track with Sam for the first time. Thanks guys, I had a blast.

I would also like to thank Ryan Flaherty nas NASA for a GREAT and INCIDENT FREE weekend!

Thank you to Lee, Dan, Jenny, and Sam for all their help this weekend, Gail Hopping for the truck, Philip Chase for the trailer, and Dave Turner Motorsports for the Harnesses. And I would especially like to thank Johnny Mac for helping us out. He blew his motor on Saturday morning, and instead of calling it quits and going home, he stayed the entire weekend to help us out. He's the man! Oh, and I still we him some tire money... maybe I can give him an SGR t-shirt instead...

-Dennis Caco

Photos: Dan Wilson

The SGR/Autocannon Civic

The SGR/Autocannon CRX

Turn 4

Bernardo Martinez stressin me.

Heeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Sam and a TEIN RE.

More pics to be added...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (D.CACO)

Great review Dennis congrats and food too see another H1 car out there
Old 07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (Casey@Burns)

johnny mac needs a new engine?

i know where a spare d16a6 is...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (Tyson)

Great review Dennis!

I hope to see you at SP!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (prkiller)

Dennis, good to meet you!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (R you serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He was all over me like white on rice... </TD></TR></TABLE>

mmm, I'm hungry...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I wanted to see the Super D break the HC Willow Springs record, and I wanted to get some video of him in front of me for us to post online...</TD></TR></TABLE>

phew! Potentially going to keep the Big Track record for yet another year making it up to 3 years now...

Thanks for the good race review Dennis. btw, when you mentioned at the beginning that you had those aluminum upper camber arms, the first thing I thought about was bottoming out issues. go figure
Old 07-13-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (BSME)

Hi Dennis,
It is always fun to come over to WS although I admit the pucker factor in T9 hasn't went away-just one trip a year doesn't seem to cut it!

Do you guys have problems with
VTech dropping out at T1 and T4/5? I had the same thing last year....

Paul B.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (PaulB)

what's VTEC

B.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (california dude)

sweet right up...

I had a great time driving the EK in HPDE on sat!

now we need a H4 report to include Steve and his new religion
Old 07-13-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (Casey@Burns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey@Burns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great review Dennis congrats and food too see another H1 car out there </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prkiller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great review Dennis! I hope to see you at SP!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks guys.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R you serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dennis, good to meet you! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice to meet you too. Glad you figured out your Wheel Bearing issue on the G... you guys got Justin all sweaty... tell him to keep his shirt on next time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">johnny mac needs a new engine? i know where a spare d16a6 is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he just bought 2 from Justin. Maybe one will be a Super D too?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PaulB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi Dennis,
It is always fun to come over to WS although I admit the pucker factor in T9 hasn't went away-just one trip a year doesn't seem to cut it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

T9 Sucks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PaulB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do you guys have problems with
VTech dropping out at T1 and T4/5? I had the same thing last year....

Paul B.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thnk you had this problem last year too, IIRC? No, I dont have any Vtec issues (except for when the Vtec wiring connector popped out on Friday testing. Code 21, y0!!!) Do you mean Vtec "cuts out" on these turns? Or do your RPMS drop, and you come out of Vtec in the turn? Hows your oil pressure? You got a baffled pan, right?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw, when you mentioned at the beginning that you had those aluminum upper camber arms, the first thing I thought about was bottoming out issues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, and we are still bottoming. We'll get it right...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by california dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's VTEC

B.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Post #5! Two posts in Two days! Holy S#!T!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (BSME)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BSME &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
phew! Potentially going to keep the Big Track record for yet another year making it up to 3 years now...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres still one more WSIR race like in September, and it should be cooler weather.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (UltimateTSI)

Dennis, are you and Sam going to be racing at Infineon?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (UltimateTSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UltimateTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dennis, are you and Sam going to be racing at Infineon?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sam= yes

Dennis= ??
Old 07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (D.CACO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sam= yes

Dennis= ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it should be:

Sam=yes

Dennis=yes

It's gonna be huge, you should definetely come out.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D.CACO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sam= yes

Dennis= ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

dang, with andrie, super D, higashi, brandon, james, Scott, and possibly more there is going to be one HELL of an H1 feild out there.

get that tein hatch out, heck of a debut to make.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dang, with andrie, super D, higashi, brandon, james, Scott, and possibly more there is going to be one HELL of an H1 feild out there.

get that tein hatch out, heck of a debut to make.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's gonna be sweet. ya, bring the tein hatch out as well.

But the H4 field is going to be around 20 cars. Now that's going to be Crazy.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UltimateTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But the H4 field is going to be around 20 cars. Now that's going to be Crazy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

all of the NorCal Hc'ers are registered, make sure all the socal guys are signed up.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (slammed_93_hatch)

Makes me wish my car was done already oh well guess i will just have to watch and cheer for super D!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 PM

our Wheel Bearing issue on the G... you guys got Justin all sweaty... tell him to keep his shirt on next time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

d4nG we've been tryin to keep his ape-ness a secrett n0w!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">johnny mac needs a new engine?

i know where a spare d16a6 is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope his name doesn't start with an N, if so, I already claimed that one
Old 07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota::: (sporkcrx)

nah, j mac knows he dont have as far as chico to go for a solid a6....
Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 AM

Old 07-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah, j mac knows he dont have as far as chico to go for a solid a6....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true, but those D16A6's are becoming rare, especially when racers blow them up. Of course, Tyson probably has as good of a collection of CRX Si parts on the west coast as anyone except for the place known as "Boneyardo".
Old 07-14-2005, 09:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
get that tein hatch out, heck of a debut to make.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be dope as hell... HHHhmmmMMmm....................................... .......

(hear that Philip?)
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what kinda brakes are those

Quick Reply: :::TEAM SGR/AUTOCANNON Civic Willow Springs Race Review, requested by Bota:::