Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Shocks/Struts and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Shocks/Struts and Springs

I hope I am starting this in the right forum........I am building a 98 Prelude dirt track car and I am trying to find the best shock/strut and spring combination. The unfortunate thing is that everything must be "STOCK". I was wondering if there were any other models that can interchange with my Prelude, should I go stiffer in the rear than in the front......etc.....Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shocks/Struts and Springs

I'm not generally aware of anything that interchanges on 5th gen preludes. Something I've meant to try, though, is the Type SH shocks have longer springs (although I believe they're the same spring rate as the base model), and correspondingly lower spring perches on the shocks. Maybe try pairing up base model springs with Type SH shocks? I've long wondered if this was done intentionally to give a 'stock' lowering option.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by No18
I'm not generally aware of anything that interchanges on 5th gen preludes. Something I've meant to try, though, is the Type SH shocks have longer springs (although I believe they're the same spring rate as the base model), and correspondingly lower spring perches on the shocks. Maybe try pairing up base model springs with Type SH shocks? I've long wondered if this was done intentionally to give a 'stock' lowering option.
Thanks for the info, and yeah, I've read on several sites where people have said the same thing. I think I may wind up trying this combo to see how it works. Would you happen to know where to go to get stock spring rates? Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not know where you would find the OEM springs rates.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen some vague info floating around regarding spring rates. Personally I run my springs and shocks how they came factory. I do have a set of front springs that I've been considering putting in the rear. You could always try a rear spring in the RF. it also depends on what size tire you run as well. If you have a large RF tire then you'll end up stuffing the tire up into the fender with a soft spring.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:32 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by No18
The lower spring perch and extended shock was due to the implementation of the ATTS for the SH models. The added weight and large unit on the left axle required slightly thicker radius arms and sway bar as well as minor changes to the A arm design to make room for all the members to fit. With the ATTS being able to route up to 80% of the power to the outside wheel during a turn the extended springs were required to compensate for the added suspension travel.