Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)

So I just bought a cf hood for my crx track car. Along with the hood, I picked up a set of aerocatch hood pins. And I was throwing around the idea of just scraping the stock hood latch altogether. It would be simpler (which I always think is good), but since I do not have the locking hood pins, would leave the hood easily opened by anyone. But I also keep the car garage kept, and never unattended in public for long.

So what are your opinions? What do you guys with hood pins do generally?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)

Its up to you. I left mine in till I needed to save weighr when I started racing and needed to save weight
Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went with the total removal of the OEM latch system, but my Aerocatches are locking. If you're confident about the safety of the vehicle based on your parking practices, I'd say go for it. Although, I'd give some consideration to the style of Aerocatch latches you're using. If it's the ones that mount beneath the hood skin with only screws coming through the top, then maybe the OEM latching mechanism would be a good safety measure in the event the screws pull though.

Make sure you mount the Aerocatches the proper way (as per the instructions).
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Suspetise...

I also have no OEM latch. If you care about the hood getting scratched/dinged up a little from taking it off, having the wind blow it over, someone steps on it, etc. I wouldn't do it. Almost for sure, one or several of those things will occur shortly after you do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaker
I went with the total removal of the OEM latch system, but my Aerocatches are locking. If you're confident about the safety of the vehicle based on your parking practices, I'd say go for it. Although, I'd give some consideration to the style of Aerocatch latches you're using. If it's the ones that mount beneath the hood skin with only screws coming through the top, then maybe the OEM latching mechanism would be a good safety measure in the event the screws pull though.

Make sure you mount the Aerocatches the proper way (as per the instructions).
I have the aerocatches and wasnt impressed by the manner and space the screws that attached.
I brainstormed a bit and made a backing plate for the screws so they wouldnt pull through.
They should of been spaced out so the screws were more outward giving more of the hood surface area for them to bite into.
Even though I made backing plates not all the screws passed through it.
One on each plate was just too close to pass a screw and washer through.

If you dont have any worries about the physical security, go for it they really secure the hood well.
There has been no movement or cracking at all where I installed them.
They have been on the car over a year and I have had not one problem.
Just make sure you use some white lithium grease on the latch mechanism or one might think they are broken.
When you go to the track you shouldnt need to worry about your car getting parts lifted from it.
Those occurances are rare but have happened.
On the street unless they are the locking kind.. I wouldnt advise it.
See pics
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which way does you hood open? I believe it's the traditional way (my Prelude lifts up from the window end). I've seen several quite experienced racers and teams forget to put the hood pins back in and while out on track, bam! Hood smashed into the windshield. It can happen even to the most prepared and best of teams. Anyone who says it can't is lying.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the opinions guys. im thinking ill probably just remove the stock latch then. i did not get the "flush" aerocatch kit (the one with just the bolts on the top of the hood), but rather i got the "plus" kit.

this one:

and i also got the backing plates for an easy/safer install:

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
I also have no OEM latch. If you care about the hood getting scratched/dinged up a little from taking it off, having the wind blow it over, someone steps on it, etc. I wouldn't do it. Almost for sure, one or several of those things will occur shortly after you do it.
what? lol. why would having no latch make someone step on my hood?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by granracing
Which way does you hood open? I believe it's the traditional way (my Prelude lifts up from the window end). I've seen several quite experienced racers and teams forget to put the hood pins back in and while out on track, bam! Hood smashed into the windshield. It can happen even to the most prepared and best of teams. Anyone who says it can't is lying.
the aerocatch pins make it hard to "forget" to latch the hood properly. unless you REALLY arent paying attention to the latches sticking up on your hood lol.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
I have the aerocatches and wasnt impressed by the manner and space the screws that attached.
I brainstormed a bit and made a backing plate for the screws so they wouldnt pull through.
They should of been spaced out so the screws were more outward giving more of the hood surface area for them to bite into.
Even though I made backing plates not all the screws passed through it.
One on each plate was just too close to pass a screw and washer through.

If you dont have any worries about the physical security, go for it they really secure the hood well.
There has been no movement or cracking at all where I installed them.
They have been on the car over a year and I have had not one problem.
Just make sure you use some white lithium grease on the latch mechanism or one might think they are broken.
When you go to the track you shouldnt need to worry about your car getting parts lifted from it.
Those occurances are rare but have happened.
On the street unless they are the locking kind.. I wouldnt advise it.
See pics
thanks for the pics dirty, do you have pics of where the pins are on the car? i have a CRX, vs your civic, but id like to see where you have the pins mounted for the latch to be in that location.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Suspetise...

Originally Posted by GSRCRXsi
what? lol. why would having no latch make someone step on my hood?
I think I misunderstood you. You're just removing the latch and putting two hoodpins in the front. I thought you were removing the latch AND hinges and using four hoodpins. Disregard my entire statement
Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the aerocatch pins make it hard to "forget" to latch the hood properly. unless you REALLY arent paying attention to the latches sticking up on your hood lol.
Believe me EVERYONE with hood pins will one time forget to put them down it's just a matter of when. Also they use the weak aluminum pins that all the generic pin kits come with , I didn't really like them so I switched out to steel pins.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Icon5 Re: Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)

Simple... Right off the head light area see pic.
The plates are super sturdy.
I used Mr. Legoman's original idea.
Im glad PWJDM made those nice little backing plates..
They didnt make them back when I bought my aerocatches.

In the future they should make the mounting surface a little more wider so the allen head screws have more area to bite into, and distribute the forces better.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine are similarly mounted to the headlight area, but on much shorter brackets.

I agree with what Dirty said about the bolts holes not being spaced out far enough from the center mechanism. I also didn't get a great bite of hood, but they've been good so far.

And whoever said that you must be a moron if you go out with your Aerocatch latches unlatched couldn't be more wrong (or I AM a moron), but because of the seating position in my car (very low) and the steep slope of the hood, I did an autocross run this past summer without latching the hood. They were sticking right up! My question is why no one that I rolled past on my way to the start line, and not even the starter noticed either!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep it or you'll be sorry ///Re: Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)

Truth spoken here:
I've seen several quite experienced racers and teams forget to put the hood pins back in and while out on track, bam! Hood smashed into the windshield. It can happen even to the most prepared and best of teams...
I'll leave my oem latch in place for redundancy, adding pins to meet spec only. The latch mechanism and cable is easily under two pounds. I'll guarantee there is somewhere else on your car you can save <2lbs without the risk a blown hood while driving 75-120mph represents.

I remember seeing two to three folded hoods on cars at various events in 2009-10. Yes, it is likely to happen to you if you stay at it long enough.

(Another prediction, one day your removable steering wheel will come off in your hands while you are driving the car.)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not about the weight. its about the simplicity.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its about the simplicity.
Not at all trying to be a jerk by this, but you're doing it wrong then. OEM is simple and secure.

A few years ago while watching Mechanics Shop (Anthony Serra's Acura), they had a nice crew at the ARRC. This was a top notch car and team. Basically a pro effort for a club race. Went out during qualifying, and not long after was back in the paddock with a destroyed windshield and bent up hood. And that's with an experienced team.

For most of us who are at the track by ourselves, things can quickly become hectic. That's when all of those things you say you'll never do happen. I try to take all of the dumb stuff that can cause trouble out of the equation so I can concentrate on more important items. So exactly like you said - keep it simple.

But I know it's already too late with this and you've probably already made up your mind.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Suspetise...

its not about the weight. its about the simplicity.
I agree with Dave on this one. While hoodpins are mechanically more simple than a spring-loaded latching mechanism, it does not get easier or more simple than "slam it shut and you're done". You are actually adding complexity and potential for error.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, it is simpler, but not in the way you you guys are thinking.

with the stock latch + pins it's:
1. get out of car
2. unlatch pins
3. get back in car
4. pop OEM latch
5. get out of car
6. open hood

without OEM:
1. get out of car
2. unlatch pins
3. open hood

i understand the risks of not having the redundant latches, and i am ok with that.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That was a crazy video from Jeff!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

An experienced racer told me that there was nothing more frustrating than when he crunched the front of the car, and the workers could not get the hood open to put out the fire because the hood latch was all twisted.

I have hood pins on my car, latch is removed.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

^ That's an interesting piece of insight actually.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Suspetise...

well, it is simpler, but not in the way you you guys are thinking.

with the stock latch + pins it's:
1. get out of car
2. unlatch pins
3. get back in car
4. pop OEM latch
5. get out of car
6. open hood

without OEM:
1. get out of car
2. unlatch pins
3. open hood

i understand the risks of not having the redundant latches, and i am ok with that.
I was talking about just OEM latch with no hoodpins, not a combination of the two. If you're set on hoodpins, lose the latch.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Trial User

I got rid of my hood latch and put in the key lock pins in my new hood... But I'm having trouble getting a windshield put in...(05 RSX-S) There's a dent in my roof that's where the windshield meets..just about two inches from the center. I have a sun roof as well which is fine. What's the best way to get it out.. The shop wants like 600+ to do the work which I'm assuming will be bondo and paint. If that's it or there's a better way I will do it myself.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can modify the latch to remove the locking feature. I drilled out the two upper rivets and took out the locking mechanism then installed one of the rivets. The safety latch remains so that the hood won't flip back in case you forget to engage the hood pins.

Front view
Left: stock, Right: modified

Rear view
Left: stock, Right: modified

Last edited by markpaco; 12-31-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:51 AM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have forgotten to put the hood pins on fartmachine not once, but twice. resulting loss of 2 windshields and 1 lost track day. i feel dumb.

Quick Reply: Remove hood latch, or keep it? (hood pins)