Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Possible Track In The Bay Area (Alameda)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Track In The Bay Area (Alameda)

Copy & Paste.

Drag Racing is definetly coming to the Bay Area along with all other forms of Motorsports. Nova 404, Batman09 and myself have witnessed first hand the beginning of a new motorsports park being developed in Alameda. This site is 255 acres of the old Alameda Naval Air Station. Initially they will have an 1/8 mile drag strip which they hope to have in operation by June. This will expand to a 1/4 mile in about a year or so once the government finishes clean up operations. This site will also include a moto cross track, about a 2 mile road course, auto cross and in the future additional venues will be added.

We need everyones help to convince the City that this drag strip is needed. The city is in favor of the moto cross track and road course but is concerned about the need and safety of a drag strip. I understand someone from the Alameda City Council saw the crash of Scott Kalitta and is very concerned about something like this happening here. I will be receiving a form letter shortly that I will pass along for us to follow. We need everyone to write a letter or an email about your interest and need for a drag strip here in the Bay Area. I believe this letter needs to include the safety issues that are strickly enforced also thru NHRA and other racing associations.

and more.

We have a new race track coming to the Bay Area. A group of investors is in the process of developing 255 acres of the old Alameda Naval Air Station. This will consist of an Autocross course, a moto X course, a road course and a 1/8 mile drag strip. Civil Engineering Blue prints are being drawn up right now for the drag strip and a contractor is being selected to resurface the concrete for smoothness of the drag strip.
We are being asked for input as to what racers would like and expect in a new track. No date has been established for opening yet but plans are for the track to be open on Saturdays and additional days will be added as needed. Special events are being planned including car shows and motor cycle shows.
Let me know your thoughts and I will pass them on. Hopefully a lot of our ideas can become reallity.

CAN'T WAIT!

Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
Where did you hear about this?This sounds interesting, how long until they break ground on the project.

Answer.

I found out all of this from the guy who is the special events coordinator for this new facility. Things are moving along right now on this project and they are looking to have some things going on this summer. They have an NHRA official involved in this venture and I heard they may also have a very well known NHRA racer coming in as an investor in the facility. As I hear more information I will pass it on, I know a web site is in the process of being developed not sure when it will be available.

Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
If it's on Gov't land, they won't have to jump thru so many hoops to get it built.
A new racing facility is great news. I can name at least a dozen that have closed down due to public pressure and politics.

Answer.

This site has been approved for Motorsports and they are looking to hold some Auto Cross events as early Feb. or March. The drag strip is still pending final civil plan submittal, safety and sanctioning. The first of the week they are meeting with the contractor to go over what needs to be done with the concrete runway to meet drag racing requirements. I have been invited to visit the site tomorrow so I will provide further update sometime tomorrow.

Last edited by JDM KID 510; 02-02-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Possible Track In The Bay Area (Alameda)

Just an update to a couple of questions I have seen.

With this location we do not have to worry about noise.

One of the problems is the safety issues they are concerned about with the drag strip.

Recap for this facility when completed will consist of approx 255 acres and have a moto X track, Auto Cross area, approximately a 2 mile road course, 1/8 mile drag strip. The drag strip we hope will eventually be changed to a 1/4 mile once the government finishes the clean up of a large portion of the property. Other motor sports activities are being looked at also. There has also been some talk of a concert venue being added at this facility.

The moto X track is in the process of being designed.

The Auto Cross area we hope will be ready by late Feb. or March.

The drag strip we hope to have open by June.

The road course will be a modified area until the clean up is done by the
government.

We need everyone to submit an email or letter regarding a new drag strip in the Bay Area.

The format we would like you to follow is as follows.

1. Provide your name and the city you live in.

2. Express your interest in drag racing.

3. Express how safe you feel drag racing is.

Please forward these emails to norcaldragracing@yahoo.com

These will be printed out and used when they meet with the City of Alameda. This will show how much interest and support there is in having a new drag strip here in the Bay Area.

Please let everyone know and ask them to get there email or letters in.

Thanks

Here's your chance to help!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this it?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...=17&iwloc=addr

Where they film Myth Busters?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No the proposed site is actually on the old Alameda Naval Air Station.
I have a buddy of mine who's father is involved with the planning.
Everything is in its infancy right now. Nothing set in stone as I would imagine they dont want to speak before they actually get things approved.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by essex
is this it?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...=17&iwloc=addr

Where they film Myth Busters?
Hahah No. That Oakland Airport. Mythbusters use the Alameda US NAS.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by dirty19
No the proposed site is actually on the old Alameda Naval Air Station.
I have a buddy of mine who's father is involved with the planning.
Everything is in its infancy right now. Nothing set in stone as I would imagine they dont want to speak before they actually get things approved.
so you know J.V? hehe

dude the guys who started this myth about opening ddragstrip and track are gonna make things worst for us autoxers who barely got the site... we literally just got this site this year and with all this internet talk about building a motorsports im sure word will get out and shut it down... i dont think the city or surrounding cities want to be involved with the idea of having "track" near by especially when SIDESHOW city is right next door

all the stuff being said on the websites are just rumors... right now and justliek dirty says... everything is in TALKS.. nothing is approved... but they are trying to make AUTOX work first then work their way in... by they "ORGANIZATION"

Last edited by vietnameeh; 02-01-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vietnameeh
so you know J.V? hehe

dude the guys who started this myth about opening ddragstrip and track are gonna make things worst for us autoxers who barely got the site... we literally just got this site this year and with all this internet talk about building a motorsports im sure word will get out and shut it down... i dont think the city or surrounding cities want to be involved with the idea of having "track" near by especially when SIDESHOW city is right next door

all the stuff being said on the websites are just rumors... right now and justliek dirty says... everything is in TALKS.. nothing is approved... but they are trying to make AUTOX work first then work their way in... by they "ORGANIZATION"
Exactly.. These other venues are nothing but Myths ready to be busted!
Auto X will get this going but its going to take work. Nobody in Alameda wants the old base to turn into a racepark like the aformentioned above. It's just not going to happen.
Stop the rumors, and just get ready to auto X!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know the site has already been used for AutoX but there was a limit to 100 cars only. Good for Porsche club and such but a SFR event usually has 250-350 cars. Hopefully that restriction can be lifted.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by neonracer88
I know the site has already been used for AutoX but there was a limit to 100 cars only. Good for Porsche club and such but a SFR event usually has 250-350 cars. Hopefully that restriction can be lifted.
ummmm sfr got the site this year... FYI look at the events scehdule
Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 AM

My Wife and I rent in Alameda, and this town has got to be one of the worst "Not in my Backyard" towns in the Bay Area. It took YEARS for a historic theater that was already built to be approval just to be restored. Local residents were 'scared' that folks from Oakland would come over and "ruin everything".There were lots of yard signs protesting it. Ideas for the naval base have been discussed for well over a decade. Seems like every single idea- whether its for new homes, some sort of industrial complex, or whatever is shot down almost immediately. This is a lilly-white, picket fence city and folks here are pretty much against anything that they see as a threat. Personally, I'd LOVE to see a track here. It'd be fun as hell t go and see because I did that a lot back home. But I would be extremely surprised if this idea gets through.