Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Monday from Hell

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monday from Hell

Thought you guys might enjoy the Monday madness I went through this week:

So, Monday morning I am sitting at work, staring at the huge pile of charts and trying to get back into the groove after a 5 day Thanksgiving weekend, when I get a phone call from my wife.

“My mom just got into a wreck in Tennessee on her way to my sister’s. She is fine, but the car is undriveable.” The “car” in question is my ’99 BMW 323i that we have had since July. It is the closest thing to a “nice” car we have ever owned.

Turns out the mother-in-law, who we more or less force to borrow our car whenever she goes to visit the other daughter (1300 mile round trip, over the mountains in TN and KY, her minivan is a clunker with over 160,000 miles, etc), lost it on the rainy road beside a moving van, spun several times, left the road, slid through the median and almost onto the other side of the interstate against oncoming traffic. She thought she had hit the moving van in the process, but there were no marks that looked like another vehicle was involved. I think the high winds of the day, combined with the air forced from the moving van, combined with the heavy rain, caused her to hydroplane and just become a passenger.

So, I have to figure out a way to get her another car up there so she doesn’t have to rent something and get my car back here so my body guy can fix it right. I have to do this quickly, as AAA towed her to a parking lot and she is stranded. Oh yeah, and I no longer own a truck that can tow. This is going to be fun. I tell my boss the situation and that I am taking off, and he says, “Go, go!”

A quick call to OPM to ask if I can borrow a truck confirms that they are somewhere between Sebring and Atlanta with both trucks, so I am out of luck there. I punt on the “borrow” idea and bend over for the raping of renting a truck from Armada. I get a ride over there from a co-worker and 45 minutes and $138 (with tax) later, I have an ’04 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel dually with a quarter tank of fuel. 30 minutes later I am at home changing clothes and picking up my trailer straps, 2 inch tow ball, and trailer spare tire. In the rain. Of course, I can’t find the pin to hold the 2 inch receiver on, so off to AutoZone I go. $6 later, I have everything I need to go get my trailer from OPM. Except diesel fuel in the truck. $73 more spent.

An hour and 15 minutes later I am at OPM moving a trailer to get to mine. In the rain. Kevin helps me get hooked up, and off I go to load up Sarah’s Ranger at work. In the rain. I get the truck onto the trailer, and hurriedly latch onto the tow hook on the front and tighten up the strap. PSHSHHHH….. Oh hell. That wasn’t a tow hook. That was a hard line to the A/C condenser. At least it was the coldest A/C of any vehicle we owned. I finished cussing, found the real tow hook in the front, strapped around the axles in the rear and headed out. As soon as I got into the truck, soaked to the skin, it stopped raining. Figures.

Hit 75 north and called Mike the body guy to tell him what was up and make sure I could bring the car buy when I got home. I can, but I need to make it by 6 if at all possible. So it is about 12:45, the M-I-L is “2.5 hours from Atlanta”, I have to unload the truck, load the busted BMW, drive back “2.5 hours”, deal with Atlanta traffic, and get to Mike’s by 6. That doesn’t add up. Let’s see what this Dodge will do.

After making sure it will tow in the triple digits, I settle in and set the cruise at about 90, letting the occasional faster car be my radar dummy. An hour and a half later, I pull up at the Wendy’s where the M-I-L was waiting. The truck hates me. I got 10.2 mpg according to the computer on the way up. I didn’t see a cop the entire way, until I was sitting at the light at the bottom of the exit ramp, when I saw a trooper and a sheriff both get on going the direction I was going. Ok, point taken, I will go slower on the way home!

I got the truck unloaded and the busted BMW loaded. Fortunately it would drive well enough with a mangled right front corner that I could drive it onto the trailer. Grabbed some lunch at Wendy’s and hit the road. At least it still wasn’t raining, although it was windy as hell.

Head back to Atlanta at about 80. Now the truck gets about 11.4 mpg. Less bad, but still hurts. I hit Atlanta at about 5:15ish. Somehow, traffic only holds me up about 15 minutes, and I pull up to the body shop at 5:45. It starts raining again. Sarah meets me there, and we unload the car (here it comes) In the rain, and get it indoors for the night, then head out to drop the old BMW (’85 325 eta) off at Armada.

I noticed on the overhead computer that I had about 50 miles to empty, so we stopped and put another $30 worth of diesel in the beast. About 3 miles later with Sarah following, we come across a wreck at a stoplight that everyone has to go around in the right hand turn lane. The lady in front of me in an Explorer doesn’t seem to understand this. I flash for her to come out in front of me several times, then give up and just pass her. She waits until my truck has JUST cleared her, and then merges right. Directly into the trailer! I pull over, turn on the hazards, and get out to see the damage. Yep, you got it… In the rain. Luckily, the only damage to the trailer was a bent up license tag and a cracked tail light lens. I tell the lady to forget it, and get back on the road. I don’t know, nor do I care, how much damage it did to her Exploder.

We drop the car at Armada, and then head back to OPM. We drop the trailer (not again) In the rain, and head back. We stop at the Toxic Hell for dinner, eat in the truck and go back to drop it off. At Armada, we load everything from the truck into the BMW (all together and for the last time) IN THE RAIN! We got home just in time to watch the Monday Night Football kickoff, which is about all I saw. I was in bed, asleep, by 9:45.

What did you do on Monday?

Modified by RacerBowie at 9:56 AM 12/1/2005
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Monday from Hell (RacerBowie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerBowie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What did you do on Monday?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I sat around thinking "I wonder what Bowie is doing today?"
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great story! The type you will be laughing about after a while. At least all your adventures took place while helping somebody out. Good job.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:13 AM

Great story ...punctuated by plenty of RAIN....lol

good writing skills...you made me feel like I was very tired, wet and frustrated !!!

glad all was safe though....
Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (Catch 22)

Any time any of my in-laws borrow either of my cars, I have to mentally write it off. I've driven with them, see, and statistically, it's nearly impossible that they haven't mangled a school bus full of children by now.

It makes me cringe, because the whole time they have the car I am mentally trying to figure out how to cope with a Miata, a wife, and 2 kids; or a protege, a wife and 2 kids and getting me to work.

Then I have dilusions of car shopping, and then I check my account balances, figure out the payoff on the Protege note, trade in value, blue book values, and come up pissed again that I was dumb enough to let them drive the car.

They have been down for 7 weeks now since our second child was born.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (madhatter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madhatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any time any of my in-laws borrow either of my cars, I have to mentally write it off. I've driven with them, see, and statistically, it's nearly impossible that they haven't mangled a school bus full of children by now.

It makes me cringe, because the whole time they have the car I am mentally trying to figure out how to cope with a Miata, a wife, and 2 kids; or a protege, a wife and 2 kids and getting me to work.

Then I have dilusions of car shopping, and then I check my account balances, figure out the payoff on the Protege note, trade in value, blue book values, and come up pissed again that I was dumb enough to let them drive the car.

They have been down for 7 weeks now since our second child was born.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is no good at all. My mother in law is a very good, safe driver. This was her first wreck in something like 20 years. I am actually thrilled she wasn't in her minivan, as she almost certainly would have rolled it, and it would have been a MUCH worse wreck.

Sounds like you need to buy your in-laws a second car, though!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:38 AM

God, I'm glad I live in the desert. Even when it does rain, it only rains for 20 mins.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (FlyZlow)

Wow, that is a day to remember!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See what you get for talking to Rice?!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Monday from Hell

Wow, you can even make crap like that up...that sucks.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Monday from Hell (Civic44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At least all your adventures took place while helping somebody out. Good job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, better find some way to savor the taste of that. Like the sweet part of bittersweet. Or the warm fuzzy part of Beer.

I don't have any morning classes today, so I'm only awake because I just finished getting my brother out of a mildly hilarious, mostly shitty drunken escapade. I have to admit I was kinda pissed until I thought about the fact that nobody twisted up my car this morning. Uhhh, good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (FlyZlow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlyZlow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">God, I'm glad I live in the desert. Even when it does rain, it only rains for 20 mins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be thankful you don't live up here. Rain is a regular part of life. Some day I WILL live in Arizona.
Still, pretty good read Bowie.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (johng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be thankful you don't live up here. Rain is a regular part of life. Some day I WILL live in Arizona. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take rain over sunburn and scorpions any day.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (Coach Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coach Crack Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll take rain over sunburn and scorpions any day. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

"Bad" is relative. Your week didn't include cancer, dying relatives, and funerals.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (Coach Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coach Crack Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll take rain over sunburn and scorpions any day. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hijack...
No way man, I love the desert. I'm born & raised in Seattle, and I fly to Arizona a few times a year so I have a real appreciation for the sunshine states. In the PNW, we wake up to rain, gray skies and clouds for 8-9 months out of the year. That gets pretty depressing after a while. In the southwest, you wake up to blue skies and sunshine every single day. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much better than that.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (kb58)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kb58 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Bad" is relative. Your week didn't include cancer, dying relatives, and funerals. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your week included all of that, I am truly sorry you are having to go through it.

But if you read back through everything I wrote, I never bemoaned my fate or said anything about a bad day, aside from dubbing it the "Monday from Hell". I merely wrote it up thinking I could entertain the gang here with my misadventure.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: Monday from Hell (o-man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o-man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">See what you get for talking to Rice?! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wondered who would be the first to blame Karl
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (johng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In the southwest, you wake up to blue skies and sunshine every single day...</TD></TR></TABLE>

then get stung by a scorpion, get skin cancer, and die.

I was in Moab two summers ago and it was hot. 115 in the shade hot. I still managed to ride slickrock and a few other trails, but dayum was it hot. Did I mention it was 115*? And to top it off, those silly Utahians have the gall to serve watered down beer (more watered down than Bud Lite even).
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bowie,

Maybe this will make you feel a little better...

Robert Mayes, current RE of SC region had a friday/saturday that was pretty rugh, and when he tells it comes across sorta like your story..

Getting ready to go to Savannah Robert finds his trailer is broken (dont remember what, doesn't matter as you will see..) So he drives to Charleston for a trailer, back to columbia, loads his racecar on it, and heads to savannah.

While going down 80 about 3 miles from the track, he comes up on a cop with a car pulled, he cant move into the oncomming lane cause of traffic and as he gets to the cop car, said officer throws his door open.

the officer was fine luckily, but the door of the cop car was embeded in the grill of the van.. and he got a ticket for failure to slow or move over for an emergency vehicle..

Raceday 1, Saturday. Crashes the car.
Saturday evening, fixes the car.
Raceday 2, Sunday. catches car on fire does substantial damage to engine bay.

You were going to help people, so maybe your karma will reward you, he was just chasing the renewal of his regional license. (he did get a nice "broke-it" trophy from the region for his weekend though.)

Jon K
Old 12-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny story. At least it was one of those stories that you just have to look back on and have a laugh.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Monday from Hell (turfer)

Reminds me of a weekend a year ago I had

Friday : Tested car, worked fine, was raining
drove by my resturant, power was out due to tornadoes, drive to go get the big refridgerator truck that was a 2 hour drive, get a call from my family, tornando hit our house, house is ok for the most part but there are no trees left in the yard and the roof is off the barn, yippie!

Saturday: Blow engine in race, just built, didn't notice the hole in the radiator because it was raining the day before... Fall asleep behind the wheel towing the car back home, rearend a dude, total his firebird.. Yea, I still feel the 1k fine and reckless driving ticket

Sunday: Picked the accord up to go to the track, had to tell everyone I was an idiot by falling asleep and my truck looks fucked up, yea, I felt like a moron..