Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

koni service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni service?

How often do you guys send konis in for servicing? Im just wondering because race shocks like advance design recommend oil change and replacing the seal. Also, how long do those japanese coilovers last since you cant even service them?

Any help appreciated
Old 08-24-2003, 02:58 AM

Default Re: koni service? (Pocket Scooter)

We have yet to beat our Koni shocks so much that they needed service. The only time I would send them in would be to modify them. They have a very strong warranty and rarely need replacement.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: koni service? (Pocket Scooter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pocket Scooter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How often do you guys send konis in for servicing?

Any help appreciated</TD></TR></TABLE>

My standard response is "how often do you crash?". Depends on what shocks you have (OTS units, reworked ones, scratch fabricated race units, etc.), what you do with the car (street, autocross, dedicated race), how often they get beat up and hard impacts (off track excursions, hard berm whacking, bad potholes), what level of maintenance do you do to the whole car. etc. Lots of variables.

The KONI dampers themselves do not need any regular periodic maintenace like oil changing, seal replacements, etc. If you are having a specific problem like an identifiable handling problem, excess bouncing, leakage, or a stuck or broken adjuster then they should be checked out. Without an issue like this, best bets are that they are fine. The street shocks are designed to get in excess of 100,000 miles of service in a normal lifetime. Units that have been revalved will likely now make more damping force so they can be expected to wear a bit faster but not at a pace that you would call rapid. Real racing shocks are typically designed with more emphasis on sensativity and performance than long term wear (racecars rarely get 10s of thousands of miles or at least take a long time to get it) so they may wear a bit faster. Still, abuse is by far the greater issue than wear.

The only true way to have a damper checked for function is to have it run on a shock dyno. If you are doing regular maintenance in the off season and not having any notable problems, we often tell racers that getting them dyno tested every two to three years will help make sure that things are up to snuff but in reality most do it way less often than that. If it is a street car, drive it until you think you are having a problem. Our street shocks and race shocks have a number of friction and wear reducing items in them that they regularly can make many, many years or seasons of use with little to no appreciable wear.

In my office this week I have a set of racing CRX shocks that I sold from my personal car to a guy a little more than a year ago. The car has been wrecked several times since then and both front shocks have bent rods and both rear show evidence of binding on the rear suspension. They have had a rough life this last year and show issues but it is not their fault. I had the exact same set for many years with no issues at all but they weren't run through the grinder. So it all goes back to the actual circumstances of their use.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:54 AM

thanks guys