Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004!

This announcement came as a total surprise to me: the spec car will be the base Civic Coupe. It will be run in very close to a stock configuration (like the series from the 80's). The series will run in Quebec and Ontario for 2004, with a support race at the Canadian GP. The pricing and other details have not yet been released.

Here's the press release in French:

MONTRÉAL (le 8 janvier 2004) -- Honda Canada Inc. a annoncé aujourd'hui le retour de la série de courses Challenge Honda/Michelin au Canada. Cette nouvelle série de courses régionales « spec » mettra en vedette le coupé Honda Civic DX stock et signifie le retour de Honda Canada aux courses régionales. Le calendrier officiel des épreuves sera annoncé à une date ultérieure, mais au moins 10 courses seront organisées au Québec et en Ontario durant la saison 2004. La nouvelle série prévoit inclure une épreuve lors du week-end de courses de Formule Un du Grand Prix du Canada à Montréal. Nous anticipons que dans l'année 2005, la série s'étendra dans l'Ouest canadien.

Cette série de courses sur routes, caractérisée par une seule marque de voiture, fut lancée en 1975 avec la Honda Civic Hatchback. Organisée durant 17 années, on estime que cette série a attiré plus de 400 coureurs amateurs, dont certains sont devenus des pilotes de courses renommés tels Richard Spenard, Tony Morris, Frank Allers, ainsi que Jacques Villeneuve, Champion du monde de Formule Un.

« Honda est impliquée dans le monde des courses depuis longtemps » fait valoir Kalim Ansari, Vice-président exécutif chez Honda Canada Inc. « Le domaine des courses fait partie intégrante de la culture de notre entreprise, et nous sommes très heureux de ramener cette série sur le marché canadien. La série Challenge Honda/Michelin est enracinée dans notre passé et l'annonce d'aujourd'hui nous permettra de la faire connaître à une nouvelle génération de clients Honda et de fervents amateurs canadiens de courses automobiles. »

La Honda Civic est la voiture la plus vendue au Canada depuis les six dernières années. Le série Challenge Honda/Michelin vient souligner l'aspect amusant à conduire de la Civic, en plus de témoigner de sa réputation de qualité, fiabilité et durabilité.

« Certains détails restent à finaliser, mais nous sommes assurés que cette série favorisera le sport motorisé au Canada » a ajouté M. Ansari. « Nous sommes à compléter les détails et à assurer d'ici le mois prochain la disponibilité de tous les produits requis chez nos concessionnaires, à l'intention des coureurs en herbe. »
Old 01-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Civic44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's the press release in French
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How about some cliff notes en Anglais?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Vitt1)

Cliff notes:
Honda announced the return of the HMCS today. Stock Civic DX coupes will be the spec car (that's the 117 hp version in Canada). The calendar of events will be announced at a later date. There will be at least 10 races in Quebec and Ontario. There should be an event at the F1GP. By 2005, the series should reach Western Canada.

It then talks about the old series and Honda's pride at being involved in racing. All products needed to field a car should be available at dealers within a month.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Civic44)

Vince,

I had a phone call this evening from the OMP Canada distributor who gave me the news!!! I am so pumped. Could you post a link to that press release please.

Today at lunch I was out with a client and somone drove by in one of the old series cars still with the decals on, and I told my friend what an incredible series it had been and that it is a shame that it isn't around anymore. WEIRD!!!

I am pumped, please keep us informed of any news.

Thanks,

Victor Penner
Old 01-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Victor Penner)

http://autocourse.ca/nouvelle5.html this is the press release. I too have fond memories of the old series. My 88 Civic is one of the Michelin cars as well, although I unfortunately don't have the old stickers...
Old 01-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is TOO cool. I came very close to getting to drive the media car at the last event at Seattle and I don't think I've ever been quite as sad as when the deal pooped out. I could have had it if I'd lied, which is why I never pursued a professional racing career...

Damn, damn, damn. If I were closer the the border, I'd really be kicking myself for having already made a decision on the Golf.

K
Old 01-09-2004, 04:57 AM
jsi
Honda-Tech Member

This is great news...

For an english version check SPEED article: http://www.speedtv.com/article.../9313/

Hopefully, they'll show some or all of the races...

Edit: in case the link doesnt work here's the text:

Honda Canada, Inc. has announced the return of the Honda / Michelin Challenge Series to Canada. The new regional "spec" racing series will feature stock Honda Civic DX Coupes and will return Honda Canada to the grassroots racing of the past. A formal race schedule will be announced at a later date, but a minimum of 10 races will be held in Ontario and Quebec during 2004. The new series is scheduled to include a race in conjunction with the Grand Prix of Canada Formula 1 race weekend in Montreal. It is anticipated that for 2005, the series will be expanded to include western Canada.

The single-marque road racing series was originally launched in 1975 with the Honda Civic Hatchback. During its 17-year run, the series is estimated to have attracted more than 400 amateur racers. The series also involved well-known Canadian race drivers such as Richard Spenard, Tony Morris, Frank Allers, and Formula 1 World Champion Jacques
Villeneuve.

"Honda has a long history of racing," said Kalim Ansari, executive vice president of Honda Canada Inc. "It is part of our company's culture, and we are very excited about bringing this series back to the Canadian market. The Honda / Michelin Challenge Series represents a significant part of our heritage and today's announcement will allow us to share that heritage with a new generation of Honda customers and Canadian motorsports fans."

The Honda Civic has been the top-selling passenger car in Canada for the past six years. The Honda / Michelin Challenge Series will reinforce the fun-to-drive aspects of the Civic and will be further supported by its reputation for quality, reliability and durability.

"While there are a number of details still to be finalized, we are confident that this series will be a positive boost to the Canadian motorsports community," Ansari said. "We are working to have all the details in place and the necessary product available from our dealers by next month for all aspiring racing enthusiasts."

Old 01-09-2004, 05:04 AM
jsi
Honda-Tech Member

Also for some reason i allways thought that it was the "other" Jacques Villeneuve, ie: JV's oncle that has the same name that ran in the old series...Anyway...
Old 01-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't wait to see this thing off the ground. If it looks good enough, i am definitely joining the series!!

This should be great for Honda in Canada.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love for the 7th gen.... FINALLY!
I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm glad Honda is trying to get the stereotyped Civic racing "reputation" off the streets and visibly put it back on the track.

Modified by Boilermaker1 at 10:55 AM 1/9/2004
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very cool, finally somthing for us canadians :D
Just outta curiosity where can i get more inf o about car specs, lisence requirements, costs, ect..
Old 01-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (zc911)

Actually Jean, both Jacques Villeneuve's drove in the series. The uncle in the 70's, the nephew in the 90's.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (zc911)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zc911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very cool, finally somthing for us canadians :D
Just outta curiosity where can i get more inf o about car specs, lisence requirements, costs, ect..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm curious as well anybody have a idea?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (trigun7469)

dealerships that are involving themselves with this will probably sell a showroom racecar for about 25,000 to 30,000 CAN.Dollars. pretty cheap for a pro series.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (bubbajim)

I'm quite sure it will be less expensive than that. A Civic DX is only 16100$CAD, I doubt the competition package will cost an extra 10000$ or more. In 1988 when my car was sold new, it was less that 10000$CAD, not much more than the regular street version.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (trigun7469)

I have searched around today and called a few people. A lot of speculation and few real facts.

The series is on in Ont. & Que. for 2004 and hopefully in the west for 2005. I think the "hopefully" will happen as there is already about 20+ people here in Vancouver that would buy a car right now. I heard that the priority for cars will be back east for this season.

In the previous series (17 years), you would buy the car ready to go with cage and everything right from a Honda dealer. The car was less than list and you even had a limited warranty. The car was really a showroom stock spec and the engines were sealed.

To race in this or any other series you need to get a licence from a racing organisation , in Canada check with ASN Canada (FIA). It usually involves school and a novice probation period.

I remember watching fields of 50 to 60 cars race in the 80's and it was awesome.

Honda pays $$

Victor Penner
Old 01-10-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Victor Penner)

Unless this series caters to the aftermarket(suspension, exhaust, or they use a big name like sparco) cant see it being too attractive to the younger racers. The old series used a stock suspension, sealed units, pretty boring. Made for a tight field, but so is the nissan series in ontario, which will die due to this honda/michelin series. People hear honda-and -racing, and think it will be loaded with tuners being allowed in, i doubt it, honda will make money, and only honda. I can name 2 series that would make for more interesting televison viewing, Honda-Challenge, and Rally racing in North America(from any region).
Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (itsdelsol)

Interesting - I see exactly the opposite being true. TV viewers can't see trick stuff and a lot of them are going to prefer a good race to carbon body parts. I can see the logic to making the cars "look" more like what the public expects of "racing cars" but there are costs associated with that. The dinky aftermarket spoiler and airdam that we had on the Renault Cup cars didn't cost much but a real wing and body kit would add a chunk to a very affordable racer.

Kirk
Old 01-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (Knestis)

For the TV audience it doesn't matter what is in the cars. If the racing is good, the fields are big, and the cars look cool, it will make for good TV.

Nothing is stopping the big Honda tuners for sponsoring cars or running them even though there is not a single one of their parts on it.

One thing is for sure. If the cars don't look like race cars .. aka touring cars .. the target audience will tune out. Kind of funny how real race cars have to emulate street cars to be considered worthy these days.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (itsdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless this series caters to the aftermarket(suspension, exhaust, or they use a big name like sparco) cant see it being too attractive to the younger racers. The old series used a stock suspension, sealed units, pretty boring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not trying to pick nits but are younger "racers" really a valid marketing segment? Younger car buyers would be for sure but racers? Seems like if I were a auto manufacturer and wanted to promote my car, keeping it showroom stock would be the way to do so, my company always wins. I think on the subject of boring racing, showroom stock races are actually some of the most fun to watch on tv, close racing is fun, one car half a lap ahead of the field to me as a viewer is boring.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (phat-S)

actually i did say that it makes for good racing, but we have to consider that the scca pro ranks wants their cars looking like a tuner car, with all the rule changes in speed world challenge-the younger audience is needed and wanted!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Trial User

This series ran previously for 17 years. I never raced in it, but watched many races live and I can tell you, they were exciting.

The Civic is the highest selling passenger car in Canada for 6 years in a row, I don't think they really care if the f n' f crowd goes crazy for it. I do know that I will sell my type r to race in this series and that they will have no problems finding more to do the same. In our club alone the count is almost 25 people that want to participate.

This isn't a sanctioning body series like SVWC it is a Manufacturers series.

Victor Penner
Old 01-10-2004, 09:33 PM

Well, just like i said, its honda for honda, and thats it. Its not like it was when this series was running over a decade ago, the tuner market for hondas cannot be ignored. But it will be ignored by honda. Its great in a way that driver skill will be at the forefront, and alot of wanna be race car drivers will finally see that they do not have what it takes. Basically what im trying to say is support your regional racing, and dont jump at the chance to run in some manufacturer series just because bob, tim, and dave wanna become household names. Those same bob, tim and daves of this world are going to be dissappointed when some Ron Fellows or other celebrity race car driver jumps inside one of those cars at a big event.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, from my understanding, it looks like the series will be run as a regional series rather than a ASN-FIA-Canada series. Well, atleast for the first year. Who knows after that?

I just hope they can keep it fairly affordable to run in the series. I would love to get involved but only if i can run atleast mid-pack.

Having a race in Montreal in conjunction with the F1 event would be totally awesome and will certainly draw alot of sponsorship.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004! (ITR RACER)

Yes, I believe it will be sanctioned by your regional ASN. I believe it will be fairly reasonable, but we will have to see. The car is SPEC and the engines are sealed and if like the previous series so are the shocks. I would guess that the ECU will also be sealed. I would think that any advantage to be had would being able to have money for fresh tires. I don't think anyone will have a better car because they have more money. There were so many rumours of cheating in the previous series but I don't recall anyone ever just pulling away from the field, it was always a gunfight.

Victor Penner

Quick Reply: Honda Michelin: spec Honda Civic Coupe series for Canada in 2004!