Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board....

Hey you guys,

At this time of year I get pretty sentimental, and always find myself going out of my way to tell the people I really care about what they mean to me. Family, friends, old girlfriends even. I think I even cry more reading Motorsport (Dead Hero Magazine) - the latest issue has another story about Nuvolari.

Anyway, I want to tell you guys how much I appreciate having this board as a place where we can all come together from all over the country and share ideas and stories, and how much I enjoy the friendships we've formed here. I look around from time to time, but I've found few sites as good or better (Formula Ford Underground and Spec Racer Ford have pretty good cultures too). You're not only great people, but also a potentially unhealthy addictive force in my life. It probably doesn't get any better than that in cyberspace.

You guys on the east coast have a staggeringly large and friendly culture - and it sounds like you are fast too. That so makes me wish I could come play with you. I'd love to run VIR in your Honda Challenge. It was more than a year ago that I got upset with RoadRacer (over a meaningless miscommunication) and challenged him to a duel of sorts. Since everybody got so busy with their 2001's we all moved on. But after having attended the ITR Expo in SoCal, I can't help but wonder if we could ever do a Honda Challenge runoff for serious Road Racer types. I know alot of you are SCCA, others NASA, and a few are just confused lappers like myself, but all are Honda/Acura and the kind of people you like to find yourself on the track with. Somehow we should find a way to do something. This famous guy Karl "Rice" seems to have a natural gift - of course it's probably as easy as saying: "Sure, the date is xx/xx/xx, so be at VIR on that day with your NASA license."

And you guys on the west coast are ok too. You'd think we'd get together on track more often, but the Vancouver / Seattle / Portland / Bay Area / SoCal axis has proven a pretty tough one. Victor - we have to meet up on track in 2002. And I will see you Cali guys in August at Willow Springs.

Well, that's enough of that. Mostly I want to say Merry Christmas, and I hope all of you and your loved ones have a great and safe holiday.

Scott, who still can't believe he has found common bond with a bunch of people who drive front wheel drive.......I'd have said you'd have to strap me down and lobotomize me first.....
Old 12-22-2001, 10:17 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (RR98ITR)

This famous guy Karl "Rice" seems to have a natural gift
Oh that he does alright . . . several actually. One seems to be breaking just about every vehicle he comes within 10 feet of . . .

Have a great holiday man!
Old 12-23-2001, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (RR98ITR)

Merry Christmas, for those that believe in Santy Claus!
Old 12-23-2001, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (Mike P.)

I'll second that !!!!!!
Old 12-23-2001, 05:54 AM
Trial User

Scott (all), nice post. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas (or holiday season). Stay safe out there. God bless those we have lost & those who fight for the freedom we enjoy.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (George Knighton)

Cheers guys!
Old 12-23-2001, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (George Knighton)

i think i need to cry
Old 12-23-2001, 12:24 PM

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (Chris)

Happy Holidays Everyone!

See most of you in Feb.
Old 12-23-2001, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Scott, you captured it better than I could ever hope to. This really is something special we've got here - a lot of cool people with a common interest. When I hop onto the Internet, this is the first thing, and the last thing, I look at.

I've made - and reinforced - a lot of really cool friendships here. I think Starnes said it best - "These are the people you can call friends and not think twice."

Happy Holidays to all. Drive safe, and may Santa bring you lots of cool go-fast parts for your cars.

--Karl...who in addition to stealing Scott's signature style, thinks maybe a honda-tech.com time trial at Road America, Mid Ohio, or some other point "somewhere in the middle" would kick lost of ***...
Old 12-23-2001, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Scott, I too appreciate you putting it into terms for all of us. The irony is that seeing an "RR98ITR" post, I always make sure I have the time to read it because it always has depth and interest. This one is no different.

Thanks all and hope everyone has a great Holiday.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:34 PM
Oracle of GDD

I share the sentiment. Thanks for putting it into words. I've made at least three very good friends just from Honda-Tech associated track events.
GK, don't you mean three very good friends and one minor annoyance?
Old 12-23-2001, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How'd you get the Summit Point Invasion shirt if you're in Washington??
I bought one when they were for sale. Just wanted to support what you guys were doing over there. We need to get a west coast thing going next year.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (johng)

Great post, Merry Christmas everyone!

Bryan
Old 12-24-2001, 06:50 AM
Trial User

Hey you guys,

At this time of year I get pretty sentimental, and always find myself going out of my way to tell the people I really care about what they mean to me. Family, friends, old girlfriends even. I think I even cry more reading Motorsport (Dead Hero Magazine) - the latest issue has another story about Nuvolari.

Anyway, I want to tell you guys how much I appreciate having this board as a place where we can all come together from all over the country and share ideas and stories, and how much I enjoy the friendships we've formed here. I look around from time to time, but I've found few sites as good or better (Formula Ford Underground and Spec Racer Ford have pretty good cultures too). You're not only great people, but also a potentially unhealthy addictive force in my life. It probably doesn't get any better than that in cyberspace.

<snip>

Well, that's enough of that. Mostly I want to say Merry Christmas, and I hope all of you and your loved ones have a great and safe holiday.

Scott, who still can't believe he has found common bond with a bunch of people who drive front wheel drive.......I'd have said you'd have to strap me down and lobotomize me first.....
Scott

well written email ... not only are you the most valuable contributor from a technology standpoint, but you are one heck of a nice guy. thanx for all your insight over the past year and i look forward to another exciting year (even though i didn't have time to race my newly modded itr).

merry xmas to you and all our fellow competition posters on h-t. may your xmas tree be surround with gifts and parts for your h-a racecar!

henry
Old 12-24-2001, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board....

Wishing everyone a happy track out into the New Year!
Old 12-24-2001, 11:15 AM
New User

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (4WDrift)

The best of the Holiday Season to all.

Grumpy
Old 12-24-2001, 11:56 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board.... (Grumpy)

Happy Holidays!!

Thanks Scott,

I am thinking that it would be great if you could point me around PIR next season and help optimize my set-up.

Everyone take care and have some fun! Bump 2 Pass in 2002!!

Victor Penner

PS: Scott, I got to see Nuvolari's Alfa last year at the Donnington Grand Prix Museum. Awesome!

[Modified by Victor Penner, 12:59 PM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Merry Christmas!

Just like to say, hope all of you have a warm and wonderful Christmas, Thanks for the insights and camaraderie this past year and hope you have a prosperous New Year. Checker flags for every one!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Merry Christmas 2016 to any of the OG's who might see this and to any of the rest of you too.

I've resurrected this old thread to serve as a vehicle for Special Christmas greetings from one of the oldest of the OG's - Victor Penner - who happened to have made an appearance in this thread back in the day. Victor says "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" to the old gang.

Maybe, and maybe no maybe if you're on this board, you are aware that a really nice low mileage pretty much stock ITR just auctioned off on Bring a Trailer for $34,500 the other day. As it happened both Victor and I were watching that auction. After the close I couldn't help myself and had to provide some commentary on the relative stature of the ITR amongst the worlds most satisfying drivers cars. Some guy posted a comment to the effect that we knew each other and had raced together - it was Victor! I'd last talked with Victor in 2009, some time after he'd sold off his ITR and been focused more on the priorities of family and profession. I didn't know that just a couple of years later he'd been hit on his bike by a drunk driver and taken serious brain injury and memory loss. His life was turned upside down and he's been working hard to recover ever since. And you Know what would happen to You if that happened - same thing happened to Victor - he remembered he liked cars and one thing after another until one day he was watching an auction for an ITR and happened upon an old friend.

It was great talking with Victor and it was like it had been just the other day that I'd last talked with him. The biggest takeaway from our talk was Victor saying that, taking into consideration what he's been thru, we only get one shot at this life so don't let your time slip by - figure out what's important and go for it.

Best wishes for all in 2017.

Scott, who has johng to thank for this pic he snapped of Victor back in 2002 when Victor came down for the Rose Cup races
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2016, 03:35 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 12-26-2016, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Merry Christmas everyone!
I'd like to say this is really worldwide, I'm not from the US but certainly learned a lot from this forum. Please help keep it alive (seems really quiet lately, don't where folks wandered off to)!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by RR98ITR

I'm glad you're here. The forums are pretty much extinct, but you've provided many LOLs over the years.

​​​​
Originally Posted by chad
i think i need to cook Brad some food!!
Fixed!!

Here's to 2017!!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think i need to cry.....again
Old 12-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chad
i think i need to cry.....again
Don't cry Chad or you'll make me cry...again

Scott, who is trying hard to ensure that the days ahead are at least as good as the days behind...better that the bar should be high eh?

Quick Reply: Christmas thoughts for friends on the Competition board....