Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Autocross classing and build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Autocross classing and build

Hey there everyone, so I just picked up a 92 CX hatch that I am planning on autocrossing next season. Before I even started reading the scca rulebook, I was planning on swapping in a b18/gsr tranny that I can pick up off of a friend for cheap. I figured it would be a perfect powerplant for the eg until I saw that swapping to a b-series engine would put me in a much higher class than I'd like to start off in (Street Modified class includes Z06's, Evo's, etc.), instead, it looks as if ST class would be perfect. Then, just a few minutes ago I saw this link discussing about booting civics from ST class, here's the link for scca's new rules http://cms.scca.com/documents/Fastra...k-feb-solo.pdf . So now my question is, what class should I build too?!? I am tearing down my hatch to begin my build and start ordering parts, just need a little guidance with building a competitive auto-x setup. Any input is appreciated, I guess I'm mostly confused on which way to go as far as swapping a d16z6 or just going b-series since I'm not too sure on scca's classing changes. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Autocross classing and build

Noobs should not build a car and go compete.
Get your essentials, and get lots and lots of seat time.
Tires, brakes,safety gear.
Building is later in the game.

When you build something with out experience you are making your learning curve how to drive the car to its, and your limits that much more difficult.
More power does not equate to faster times.
More power only masks your inabilty to drive the car correctly.
When you cant manage more power what happens?

The big misconception is that noobs think they need all the go fast parts to go fast.
You need to learn to control a bone stock car and drive the wheels off it.
Only when you know what the car is doing, and how you are making it do it should you ever invest in go fast parts.
Big hint because you failed in reading the "faq"
Go fast parts dont always make you go fast. Sometimes they actually go backwards and hurt your driving.

My .02 is that you swap in a nice d16z6, get a helmet, and go go go.
Learn to drive that cx stock and learn to drive it well.
Your money is better spent on seat time than go fast parts.
NO Building. seat time!

So check your ccr's decide what you want to do.
Read right here in this forum for all the essentials listed above.
We have beaten brakes, tires, and other must haves to death here.
One last thing... Dont ask about set up of the car.
There is no one set up for all drivers, there is no one brake pad for all drivers, there is no one tire unless your sanctioning body limits what you can use.
These are things you have to try out, and see what works best for you.
There will be trial and error, money spent wisely, and money wasted.
If you read and research here you will find many opinions, and some general concensus on everything.
Google search your topics using honda-tech in the string, and you will find many archives that will help you.
Put a hold on ordering anything and start off stock.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FSP class. D16Z6 swap, koni yellow, custom Ground Control spring rate, large rear swaybar and some decent street tires or Autox slick. Fun and somewhat competitive class(depends on driver).

But it's best to just go out there and drive what you have right now. Seat time!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply Dirty, I have read the faq's and have been to many auto-x events so I tottaly understand. My dilemma is about where to go with the car at the moment, I just purchased this EG that pretty much needs everything replaced. I can't exactly start out stock since I picked up somebody's wanna-be "JDM" ride with a hackjob suspension and tired sohc zc. When the car gets painted here in a couple of weeks, I am pretty much stripping the car down to a bare shell and replacing most everything. Brakes, wheels + tires, engine/tranny/clutch, full suspension make-over, safety equipment, it is all being adressed. I just want to know if I should pass up a good deal on a b-series swap for the sake of swapping in a Z6 to stay at a lower class would be a better idea.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So go for FSP then using the Z6? Thanks kaiba. So is it true ST class is no longer available to 88-00 civics? FSP would be the starting class for a modified civic with original series engine then correct?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FSP all model Civic 92-95 are in the same line. Swap between same chassis/engine in 92-95 are legal in FSP.

A correctly setup civic 92-95 hatchback CX/VX with D16Z6 can actually perform really well.

<--- Drive a FSP 94 Civic VX w/D16Z6 with too much to list suspension.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Id use the Z6 because i have seen some very very good drivers use them and whip the crap out of cars with much bigger displacement.
Its cheap to run and rebuild, very reliable engine.
Personally I think its alot of fun to chase down a M3 and eat its lunch in the turns.
But thats on the track and not cones. You just have to be quicker around them cones and be smooth.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty, then I'll plan on picking up a Z6 and going that route. The purpose for this "build" is to get a start into the sanctioned track racing world with a fun "lower class" car. I will be teaching my fiance along the way about racing and what replacing a part can have effect on the handling of the vehicle. She really wants to get into Auto-x also but drives a modified '02 WRX. It would not be good for her to start with that since she's not used to racing or being able to handle the power of it quite yet, so were going to be both have some fun with the Civic and later after a couple of seasons start tracking her car and I can start yet another project.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by turbotuner
Alrighty, then I'll plan on picking up a Z6 and going that route. The purpose for this "build" is to get a start into the sanctioned track racing world with a fun "lower class" car. I will be teaching my fiance along the way about racing and what replacing a part can have effect on the handling of the vehicle. She really wants to get into Auto-x also but drives a modified '02 WRX. It would not be good for her to start with that since she's not used to racing or being able to handle the power of it quite yet, so were going to be both have some fun with the Civic and later after a couple of seasons start tracking her car and I can start yet another project.
Good Deal man this is the way to go!.
The two of you will have alot of fun with it.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget about the b7 as well if rules permit with a a6 cam and y7/y8 gear man its a little beast since its also a 1.5 thats another really cheap option .
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 661rex89si
dont forget about the b7 as well if rules permit with a a6 cam and y7/y8 gear man its a little beast since its also a 1.5 thats another really cheap option .
Not permit in Street prepared. Updated and backdated must be done as whole/complete.

D16Z6 are cheap, reliable, affordable and disposable.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kaiba
Not permit in Street prepared. Updated and backdated must be done as whole/complete.

D16Z6 are cheap, reliable, affordable and disposable.
ah i see then yeah your right **** all d-series are cheap then again some of the prices are crazy lately. i just figured since the b7 is the same head as the a6 minus the cam and springs that it wouldn't totally kill it but you would know.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Two buddies of mine run an EG in FSP and love it. They were at nationals this year, Brian McNamara and Brandon Hagaman. The EG is the car to have in FSP, but you need to buy race cars which can get expensive.

Unless you've got a club like mine, that uses SCCA class bases but has a T[x]SP class structure so you can run TFSP.

But if you're building up, try to stick with a stock class. Will be the cheapest to start, you can either run R comps or street tires, then once you get a season you can decided where you want to go from there. You might just bite off more than you can chew jumping straight into FSP.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 92 CX is THE best FSP Civic chassis. It'll be pretty quick with the D16Z6.

However, I don't think this would be too quick to warrant the "run it stock for 10 years and learn to drive before you touch anything" approach. If you were jumping into SMF with a 300hp swap, maybe.

I sure wish I'd started out with the right car. Years of driving practice in underprepped cars doesn't magically make me able to beat equal drivers in better cars.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Suspetise...

If you want to compete look at what classes are populated in your area. FSP might be great and all, but if no one else in your region is driving in it you won't have any competition. If you wanted to swap a B-series motor you'd be running in SMF, not SM (SMF = SM FWD; no Z06s etc.). The SCCA document you linked says that the Civic will no longer be allowed to run ST AND STX. There is currently a loophole where the car is allowed to run in both, and the '89 Si is dominant in a big way. You would still be able to run ST, but the EG is less competitive there than the EF Si. I think you'd need to run the stock CX motor for ST as well, which is a ****ing dog.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
I think you'd need to run the stock CX motor for ST as well, which is a ****ing dog.
Correct. No UPBD in ST classes. Must run the same engine it came with.

Originally Posted by turbotuner
So is it true ST class is no longer available to 88-00 civics?
That's only a proposal, not a final rule. And all it would do is move the good Civics (and my ST Integra GSR) to STS with the 2 seaters.
STS – All currently eligible STS cars plus those excluded from ST above.