Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

3BrothersRacing BB2 Prelude Road Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3BrothersRacing BB2 Prelude Road Race Car

Hi All,

3BrothersRacing is a small road racing team based out of Waxhaw, NC. We campaign a K20 swapped 1994 Prelude Si in
SCCA racing SCCA racing
as well as some endurance racing series (World Racing League, American Endurance Racing, Chump, etc.).

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time but have never really posted. I wanted to make a build thread for our K20 powered Prelude, so here it is. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post a build thread but here goes. I will try to document the build of this car to this point, and then continue updating as we campaign the car, and make improvements to it.

This story began almost 2 years ago, in the fall of 2014 when I decided I wanted to build a racecar for ChumpCar racing. Up to that point in time I had done lots of road racing in lots of different series; from local autocrossing, to track days and HPDEs, to wheel to wheel racing at all levels. I had done a fair amount of endurance racing between 2011 and 2014 and always really, really enjoyed that type of racing (at least as a driver!). I decided I wanted to build a ChumpCarbecause I wanted to go racing with my Uncle and Cousin, who had been avid track day enthusiasts for years but had never had the opportunity to go road racing.

So it's the fall of 2014 and I'm searching Craigslist regularly looking for either a DA integra, a BB4 Prelude, or a Lexus SC300. All would make decent ChumpCar candidates, however almost all of my racing experience was with Hondas so I was leaning toward one of the H products. I came upon an extremely clean '94 Prelude Si that was listed for sale in Clemson, SC. I picked the car up for a very fair price, drove it home and started tearing it apart almost immediately. Ironically, I'd never really driven a Prelude until that 2 hour drive home from Clemson.

Here's the car when I brought it home:
.Name:  Bkbwz9L.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  658.1 KB
Name:  RN7IGKQ.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  463.5 KB.Name:  hGu4Sjt.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  296.8 KBThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.Name:  eUYrJEt.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  301.3 KB

Here's a picture of the car and my driveway the day I bought the car (Nov. 9 2014), as you can tell I have a bit of a problem...:
.Name:  PGMQEob.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  740.9 KB

The plan was to build the car to the ChumpCar rules, and run some races in 2015 with the OEM H23A1 powertrain. So, I immediately tore out the interior and scheduled a date for the roll cage to be installed.

I got the car back from the cage builder in early January 2015. First test day was scheduled for early February, and first ChumpCar race was planned for March. So I had basically 8 weeks to build a race-car from a partially disassembled street car.

Car back from cage builder:
Name:  LrDs5JG.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  395.8 KB
Name:  YWgiPFd.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  839.7 KB

Did a fair amount of work in a short amount of time to get the car ready for it's first test:This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.Name:  eRmB7Ku.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  415.4 KBThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.Name:  xgrwMfo.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  490.3 KB
Name:  QkiECL1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  433.2 KB

Here was the basic set-up/parts list/mod list for the first test and first race in early 2015:

BFG Rivals 225/45/15 Front - 205/50/15 Rear

Suspension Techniques(sp?) 1" Solid Rear Sway Bar

Tokico Blue HP Dampers w/ cut OEM Springs

15x7 Motegi crap 4x114.3 wheels

'93-'94 Acura Legend GS Front Calipers and Rotors

25mm front wheel spacers/adapters

Moog Adjustable Front Upper Ball Joints

Carbotech RP2 front pads, Carbotech XP8 rear pads

Ebay Cold Air Intake

Ebay 2.5" Cat-back exhaust and cat delete pipe. (OEM header)

Lexan rear window and rear quarters

Wood air dam

Rear "spoiler" of some sort

Last edited by ThreeBrosRace; 08-25-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3BrothersRacing BB2 Prelude Road Race Car

nice! We just raced against a prelude in sccas enduro, Chris Deshlong. That thing was fast!
Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by known
nice! We just raced against a prelude in sccas enduro, Chris Deshlong. That thing was fast!
Yea, I met Chris when we first raced this car at Daytona (May of 2015). Nice guy. I've never seen his car but I've seen some of his exploits on the faceballz.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a video from the first test session. This was a NASA HPDE event held at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP), which is conveniently only 50 mins from where I live.

This was the first time the car had ever been on track, and the first time the car had driven in over 3 months.

P.S. I promise there is K series content forthcoming...

Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So fast forward through the rest of 2015 and we do a handful of ChumpCar races, a 12 hour race at Virginia International Raceway in March, a 14 hour race at Daytona Speedway in May, and two 7 hour races at the National Corvette Museum track in Bowing Green, KY.

Pictoral:

Name:  H0XtR0V.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  416.9 KB

Name:  ORv74EA.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  474.8 KB

Name:  u5eOW8i.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  967.3 KB

VIDEO FROM THE RACE IN KENTUCKY:

Old 12-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been racing my prelude for more than 10 years and have raced Porsches of all flavors, Miatas etc... Terry Earwood won the IMSA endurance championship in 95 and 96 in my Prelude. This has been the best handling car i have driven. Having problems finding H23 high performance racing parts everything is vtech. Have any parts suppliers you us Was the k20 swap very difficult?
Old 12-31-2016, 02:33 AM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lot of broken pix links on first couple posts. OP plz fix. car looks great! esp. for a chumpcar. dope.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

YAY! Another prelude racecar on cut oem springs! I'm set up the same, with great results