Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Unicycle Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unicycle Facelift

I know this isn't a Honda but it is new paint.

I saw my unicyle in the garage a couple days ago and after riding it about 3 miles I decided to give it a facelift. It's 10 years old so it had seen better days

I took everything apart down to the last nut and started sanding everything down

I couldn't break the axle down any further so I had to tape off for all 3 new colors one at a time. Then it was time for paint

All back together. I have to paint a few bolt heads by hand now because they would have just gotten messed up by the socket when tightening. I'm also debating what I should do for the new seat cover. I want to go with a worn brown leather.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unicycle Facelift

it looks good. For future reference those crank arms come off, just put a bolt in the spindle and tap it a few time with a mallet, or... you can by the special tool from "park". As far as the wheel, its gonna be a pain in the butt truing the wheels i'd think, hopefully the paint won't get scratched. it looks really good tho. Only thing i would have done differently would be powdercoating instead of paint. i wanna see how the seat looks when done. you can probably get the fabric from joanne's or michael's.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by perseverance
it looks good. For future reference those crank arms come off, just put a bolt in the spindle and tap it a few time with a mallet, or... you can by the special tool from "park". As far as the wheel, its gonna be a pain in the butt truing the wheels i'd think, hopefully the paint won't get scratched. it looks really good tho. Only thing i would have done differently would be powdercoating instead of paint. i wanna see how the seat looks when done. you can probably get the fabric from joanne's or michael's.
I'm thinking of getting a new uni and that one will definitely get powdercoat if I do this to it. I trued the wheel with the tire off so I should be good for a while but I do fear scratching in the future. It was just something to do to stay busy. Thanks for the comments
Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fabmaster
I'm thinking of getting a new uni and that one will definitely get powdercoat if I do this to it. I trued the wheel with the tire off so I should be good for a while but I do fear scratching in the future. It was just something to do to stay busy. Thanks for the comments
i know exactly how you feel, i ride bmx and paint stuff for the heck of it since even powdercoat gets trashed with grinding and what not. paint is much easier to remove and redo and change colors if needed. i really like how it came out tho. How hard was it to learn how to ride that bad boy?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was 16 (I'm now 26) when I got it and it took me an evening in the hallway of my house to learn to ride. The next morning was spent figuring out how to get on with no hands. That was the tricky part. Trying to jump up just enough to balance while I placed my other foot without going over the top. I actually went 4 years without riding it and when I got it out I hopped up on the first try. Just like riding a bike.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i LOVE it haha i used to be big into mountain biking a few of my friends unicycled but no matter how much i tried i just couldnt get it consistent but man is it fun when you get going on one compared to being on two wheels... makes me want to go out and buy one now hahah
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fabmaster
I was 16 (I'm now 26) when I got it and it took me an evening in the hallway of my house to learn to ride. The next morning was spent figuring out how to get on with no hands. That was the tricky part. Trying to jump up just enough to balance while I placed my other foot without going over the top. I actually went 4 years without riding it and when I got it out I hopped up on the first try. Just like riding a bike.
that's awesome man.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i almost wanna send you my bike for some paint! that looks hot!

did you rebuild the wheels yourself? thats something ive always wanted to learn to do
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chawski
damn i almost wanna send you my bike for some paint! that looks hot!

did you rebuild the wheels yourself? thats something ive always wanted to learn to do
hahaha......you said wheels. There's only one. J/K

Yes I did the unlacing and lacing myself. It's the first time I've done it but I just looked at the order of the spokes and put them back the way they came apart. I trued the wheel before the tube and tire went back on because you can just use a flathead inside the rim rather than a spoke tightener once everything is back together.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha wheels...didnt even catch that.