Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

should i not try this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should i not try this???

i have like a five different color car right now and the hood is the worst part. can i use this

while saran wrapping(or just using a big plastic sheet) my fenders(which i have replacements for anyways so i wouldnt care regardless, but still want to keep it clean) and bumper and head lights etc... and still having the hood on the car?

then scrubbing it off, rattle can primer, and just doing a simple rattle can paint job
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: should i not try this???

yeah man that is the best for taking layers off. know if you take it to bare metal you will need to primer always a plus laying down some wash primer before the the other primer. but any shop can do this for you if you are going that route. just stay away from rattlecan primer, nothing good comes from it haha
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It works miracles but can get really messy, just make sure you get some good gloves because it is harsh on skin
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't use that, cause it's gonna be too harsh for the metal. Just simply sand the old paint off, then spray primer on the bare metal parts. I've use that stuff on stock wheels before repainting them, but that's just wheels, this is something that's gonna be more exposed and you want to look better.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were to use that (which I don't recommend), why would you even leave your hood on? It would be a lot easier to just take off the hood to protect your fenders, bumper, etc.

I agree with prelude1897, though. Do the work and sand the hood down until you're satisfied, and if you go too far and hit bare metal, just hit it with some primer so it doesn't rust.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its super easy to take off the hood... just lazy and the only place id be able to paint it really would be inside of my room... and yeah, trying not to do that

i have used this stuff before when doing wheels and stuff... just never on the actual car.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ghosthatch
the only place id be able to paint it really would be inside of my room... and yeah, trying not to do that
LOL
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand.. You say you want to cover everything up, strip your hood, and rattle can it. But you can't take it off to do that because you're lazy and you don't have anywhere to paint it besides in your room. So much does not compute, maybe I just can't read. It's more work to cover everything up than to remove 4 bolts that hold the hood on. If you're going to rattle can it with it on the car, are you planning on doing it in your room? I do not understand why you said "the only place id be able to paint it really would be inside of my room." You can't take the hood off and paint it outside, just like you would do if it were still on the car?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly... all id have to do is put a plastic sheet under the hood... cut little slits in it and tape it so it doesnt get on the windshield or anything. and paint a hood in the grass is different than painting it on the car. i wouldnt get debris all over it
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who said anything about painting it in the grass? Anyone in their right mind would not paint something in the grass.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats only bc thats the only place to do it... besides my room. garage is full of car parts/engines everywhere and no space.... drive way is full of 5 cars most of the time. im limited.

im not asking you guys whats practical... i just dont wanna mess anything up
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take hood off. put it on something, sand it, primer it. what else is there.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're going to just rattle can the car. then why strip it? LOL.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go buy some saw horses, and set your hood up on that in the driveway.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gorillafart
if you're going to just rattle can the car. then why strip it? LOL.
ummmm, to make it clean as possible

Originally Posted by eksessiv
Go buy some saw horses, and set your hood up on that in the driveway.
like i said... there is NO room on the driveway
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-it wont be too harsh for metal
-take your hood off, trust me. its 4 bolts and simply pulling off your windshield fluid sprayers
-wear gloves, this **** burns
-wear glasses, TRUST ME. you'll probably get it in your eye somehow, and it burns like a bitch

what i did when i used it on my hood was GOBBED IT ON in sections. thick. i did it sections at a time to keep it neat.

however. i dont understand why you are doing this, you do not need to take it down to bare metal to paint it because then you will have to prime it.. just sand down your hood, it'll make it slightly straighter as well
Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...2764187&page=4

my build thread, last page is where i used aircraft
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bc sanding is a bitch... and im not standing out in the freezing cold sanding it
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol man the stripper is going to be a bigger mess.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt say anything about a mess neither

im just gonna wipe and spray it off... and maybe a little acetone to clean it off before i spray primer

like i said... ive used this stuff before... but only on wheels... i know what it does

i dont want to have layers of paint.... that is why i dont want to leave the original paint on it. and im not gonna sand it... i might do a little scuffing on it. but thats it
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uhm. if you've used this before, then you know that its not wipe on spray off.. its not just gunna take your paint off, it'll basically just moisten the paint and make it easier to scrape off.. your best bet (to do it your way) would be to GOB it in, leave it for 10-15 min, gob on more on the spots you missed, and then use a pressure washer to take the paint off..

you said you were rattlecanning it so im guessing you don't care how it turns out too much, correct me if i'm wrong. i'd still rather sand it then use this again.. if this stuff were easier than sanding, then bodymen across the nation would be using it to take paint off. trust me, they're not.

get some sandpaper, a block sander, get your gloves and coat on and give your hood a good sanding, it'll only take like 15-20 min. i've had to help change an axle on an international truck in this weather. laying out in the snow trying to pull the rear end that is NOT light.. if i could do that im sure you can sand a hood in the cold

but again- if you have a reason that i dont understand, then by all means use the aircraft, it is some pretty cool stuff, but damn does it burn lol
Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ghosthatch
i didnt say anything about a mess neither

im just gonna wipe and spray it off... and maybe a little acetone to clean it off before i spray primer

like i said... ive used this stuff before... but only on wheels... i know what it does

i dont want to have layers of paint.... that is why i dont want to leave the original paint on it. and im not gonna sand it... i might do a little scuffing on it. but thats it
Just do it already lol. Geez. This is becoming an epic thread for no reason. Good luck with it all.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its too cold to sand the hood outside then it is probably too cold to paint the hood outside so why do it?

If the hood is in decent shape with no rust and you just want to changs the colour get some scotchbrite pads and scuff the paint well and then rattle can it to the colour you want.

Why are you asking for advice if you don't want to listen to what people are telling you?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of going through the steps of having to cover your motor, you can simply take 5min and take all 4 10mm bolts out. At least that's what I would do. I hope you were kiding about painting it inside your room
Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the point in responding? if im just gonna get flamed

like i said... i dont have much of a choice about locations to paint it right now... ive painted in my room before... i just use a mask and fans and open the window

i wasnt asking for a different method to do it... i was just asking if it was a bad idea to use this stuff on the hood and if it was a bad idea to just tarp plasticunder the hood...

i just need to paint a white hood black and i just want it clean... it doesnt have to look professional

and the times that i have used this stuff the paint literally just lifts right up and SOMETIMES i have to scrub a few little areas

Quick Reply: should i not try this???