Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Removing spray paint.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing spray paint.

Quick summary of what is going on:
I purchased my car (Black Integra) a month ago and the previous owner had taken black spray paint and sprayed along both sides of the car over the pinstripe instead of removing it properly. So the paint along the sides is very dull and, for lack of better words, ugly.
Today I noticed that there were a few scratch marks in the spray paint and the actual "shiny" factory paint was showing through.
I proceeded to take my fingernail and make a small scratch into the spray paint and it came right off and was showing the factory paint beneath it.
Now my question, is there any product out there that will remove the spray paint off of my car but wont get into and damage the factory clear coat/paint?
If not, should I continue and attempt at "scratching" off the spray paint?
The way I see it, if I do scratch it all off and it turns out good...then great!
If it doesn't turn out good, then no big deal...it cant get much worse than it already is anyways.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Removing spray paint.

i used some gas i had from my weed wacker to clean over spray on my hood.
the gas was mixed wit 2 stroke oil idk if it makes a difference or not.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a product that dupont makes called First Kleen, it is a precleaner before starting on sanding a car for paint. It wont harm the stock paint but will strip off spray paint, just wipe it on, itll take a few seconds to start reacting. try not to let it dry cause its easier to wipe when wet. youd need to buff up the car afterwards.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 AM

IF u want try some regular laquer thinner...it works wonders go check out my build thread i had spraypainted the rear interior of my car a long time ago and had to remove it all for paint.....
Grab a roll of paper towels and just wipe some laquer on a smallish spot and just keep wiping it off as the laquer thinner evaporates...You dont want the laquer thinner sitting too long or it can mess up your paint...but for wiping off spraypaint it should work just fine....
When u finish just make sure u wax ur car...