Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

prepping for maaco paint job

Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prepping for maaco paint job

I am a complete newb when it comes to bodywork and paint. When I got my car, it already had a maaco job on it. It actually looks pretty decent to me but the front bumpers paint is cracked due to a careless tow truck driver. The cars original color was granada black, but the car was repainted white.

I would like the car to be repainted some type of black, probably just a plain black with no pearls because it is just a single stage. I have heard maaco paint jobs are alright if you prep the car yourself, which I am guessing is doing all the bodywork yourself, and taping it off, removing stuff etc.

The body of the car is actually in decent condition, with the exception of the fenders. If you look close at the fenders, you can see they have lines in them. Is that from bad body work? Is it possible to remove the lines or should I just buy new fenders?

I will probably have a friend help me bondoa few dents (maybe 3). Do I have to sand the car down to the original primer all over? If so, what grit should I use? Do I have to do anything after that, like reprime, or can I bring it straight to maaco after sanding?

Thank you for answering my questions!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Year 3030

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: prepping for maaco paint job

You do not need to sand all the way down to primer. you might want to try sanding off as much of the maaco paint as possible because maaco is notorious for not doing prep work and your new paint might flake. When taking it to maaco your going to want to sand the whole car down with 500 grit because maaco paint lays thin and scratches show so 500 should be good. for the dents you need to sand down to metal so the bondo will adhere. you pretty much only need to prime the areas where your doing body work.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sumslapper
You do not need to sand all the way down to primer. you might want to try sanding off as much of the maaco paint as possible because maaco is notorious for not doing prep work and your new paint might flake. When taking it to maaco your going to want to sand the whole car down with 500 grit because maaco paint lays thin and scratches show so 500 should be good. for the dents you need to sand down to metal so the bondo will adhere. you pretty much only need to prime the areas where your doing body work.
awesome, thank you. what do you recommend I do about my fenders?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Year 3030

pics? is it a crack? i wouldnt really worry about it if your sanding down the whole car. just sand them down and see whats under the paint. hopefully not cracked bondo
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

macco sucks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your going to do the body work, why not just spray the car your self?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't do all this bodywork and then take it to maaco and have them ruin all your hard work.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FxCkyoVTEC209
if your going to do the body work, why not just spray the car your self?
Honestly, how easy is it to mess up on the spraying part? I do not really trust myself because it seems like itd be easy to mess up
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what i did when i got a macco paint job i did all the body work wet sanding the car till it was smooth then i sanding with 500 dry washed it i had them seal the car for a smooth finish came out way better then i imagein
Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you know someone who works there your car will turn out great if not ehh they can careless how ur car looks bc they get paid the same best bet to do is talk to a painter there and be like ill pay you to paint my car on a sunday and pay him he is geting more money then he would there for will take his time
Old 05-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I just may take a shot at spraying it myself. I will probably try and rent out a booth if its not too expensive, otherwise i will use a friends garage. I am a bit nervous about messing up on the actual spraying part, but I guess if i just mess up I can wet sand it off and try again.

So basically the prep process would stay the same?

I read over the sticky and if i remember this would be the step by step process, basically. Sand the car down with 500 grit, then spray 2 coats base and 3 coats clear, sand down with 1000, 1200, higher grit with block, polish?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

best beat is to use 240 on a palm sander for the hole car JUST REMEBER YOUR PAINT IS ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR FIRST COAT LAYS take your time and light coats spraying is the fun part and read more up on wet sanding
Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont paint cars that other people have done the bodywork on. Reason being no one asks who did the bodywork everyone asks who painted the car. Remember the paint is only as good as whats underneath and 8times out of 10 if it looks like crap its because of shoddy bodywork. I dont suggest using 240 on a palm sander either sorry. Depending on how bad the car looks and if the paint is already stable then just use a scotchbrite pad to take off the shine. Then take any areas that need bodywork down to bare metal.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM

i was thinkin about havin them paint my car too. when you guys say you need to prep do i need to remove emblems or will they do that? if i have to how do i remove them and what do i us to put them back? thanks (sorry im new to body work)
Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92eg412
i was thinkin about havin them paint my car too. when you guys say you need to prep do i need to remove emblems or will they do that? if i have to how do i remove them and what do i us to put them back? thanks (sorry im new to body work)
id remove everything possible. use 3m sticky tape
Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Year 3030

Originally Posted by 92eg412
If you have to ask this I wouldnt reccomend doing the bodywork on your car. no offense..
Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pictures of the fender would help. and if you're willing to prep, then might as well paint it yourself, prepping is the hardest, paint is the easiest good luck.