Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Pearl in base coat or clear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pearl in base coat or clear?

I'm thinking of painting my accord pearl white, but I'm not sure weather you mix in the pearl with the clear or base coat. Anyone know? Also any tips with painting pearl would help, thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pearl in base coat or clear? (technine)

Pearl can mixed with base or clear. It can also be applied as the mid-coat in a tri-stage. Meaning base, pearl (mixed with a binder), clear. I dont recommend spraying it mixed in clear. When using a pearl you should make test panels. The amount of pearl can totally change the color of the base. So depending on how much you want a flop depends on how much to spray.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pearl in base coat or clear? (mike9571)

Thanks, maybe I'll stay away from pearl and go for an Ivory color instead because this will be my first full body paint job. I've only done hoods and lips so far.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy premixed paint with pearl already in it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah be very careful with mixing pearl...

this is what happens when you mix to much blue/red pearl in the clear..

from PHANTOM GREY

to PURPLE BLUE

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pearl in base coat or clear? (PhantomEG)

Perfect example why i said to make test panels. The amount, and the color of the pearl will do some crazy stuff. Also the pearl is very blotchy. thats why id rather do a tri -stage because you can lighty dust it on.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhantomEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah be very careful with mixing pearl...

this is what happens when you mix to much blue/red pearl in the clear..

from PHANTOM GREY

to PURPLE BLUE

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn!! I don't think I'm ready for pearl, even the premixed type. Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i was so pissed when i started painted and it turned that color...lol

did better the 2nd time around tho...

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is nice! What paint did you use brand/type did you use? Any sealer
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by technine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is nice! What paint did you use brand/type did you use? Any sealer</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks...i used dupont base and clear...didnt seal it,but prob should of...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Streets of Sacramento...But now living in So Cal, usa

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike9571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pearl can mixed with base or clear. It can also be applied as the mid-coat in a tri-stage. Meaning base, pearl (mixed with a binder), clear. I dont recommend spraying it mixed in clear. When using a pearl you should make test panels. The amount of pearl can totally change the color of the base. So depending on how much you want a flop depends on how much to spray.</TD></TR></TABLE>

couldnt say it any better
Old 05-12-2007, 04:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by technine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm thinking of painting my accord pearl white, but I'm not sure weather you mix in the pearl with the clear or base coat. Anyone know? Also any tips with painting pearl would help, thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that you get the best results painting pearls in a tri-coat system. Like mike9571 said, just gotta watch how much you apply. If you are spraying a white pearl and put too many coats on it'll turn yellow, and will look horrid. The best way to do it is just use 3 coats base, 3 coats mid, 2-3 coats clear, and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pearl in base coat or clear? (WihaSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WihaSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think that you get the best results painting pearls in a tri-coat system. Like mike9571 said, just gotta watch how much you apply. If you are spraying a white pearl and put too many coats on it'll turn yellow, and will look horrid. The best way to do it is just use 3 coats base, 3 coats mid, 2-3 coats clear, and you shouldn't have any problems.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, but I'm going to stay away from pearl right now. I'm just going to go for an ivory white instead or a championship white. I don't think I'm ready for anything more than that.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by technine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks, but I'm going to stay away from pearl right now. I'm just going to go for an ivory white instead or a championship white. I don't think I'm ready for anything more than that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're not ready for a tri-stage, find a white formula that has pearl in the base, and shoot it as a 2 stage. Nothing intimidating about a tri-stage except for blending it or panel painting lol! It's basically just an extra step, or just like putting 6 coats of color down.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The real and correct way to do pearl paint jobs is to make this a 3 step process..

Base-approx 2-3 coats and let EACH coat dry about 30 min

Pearl- about 2-3 coats as well depending on how much pearl you want ... but you have to be careful with pearl because it will take the base coat color away that you want and it will become yellow especially on a white car...let
each coat of clear dry about 20-30min as well...

Clear- 3 coats at most is what i recommend any more than that and you will begin to get the yellow tint as well... let clear dry approx 30-45 min each coat...

wait 2-3 week for paint to 100% cure and drive the car in the elements and then you will be able to wetsand and buff...

Good luck...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: (kdawgy2k1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kdawgy2k1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The real and correct way to do pearl paint jobs is to make this a 3 step process..
Base-approx 2-3 coats and let EACH coat dry about 30 min

Pearl- about 2-3 coats as well depending on how much pearl you want ... but you have to be careful with pearl because it will take the base coat color away that you want and it will become yellow especially on a white car...let
each coat of clear dry about 20-30min as well...

Clear- 3 coats at most is what i recommend any more than that and you will begin to get the yellow tint as well... let clear dry approx 30-45 min each coat...

wait 2-3 week for paint to 100% cure and drive the car in the elements and then you will be able to wetsand and buff...

Good luck...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually both 2 stage and 3 stage pearls are "the correct way". IMO 3 stage looks better, but there is a ton of factory paint that is 2 stage pearl.

30 mins between each coat of base? Only if you really want to be absolutely positive that the base is super dry. 10-15 mins will do it if you are applying it right. Remember, don't try to obtain coverage with your base in 1 coat. Also make sure to use a tack rag between every coat of base.

2-3 coats of clear is the general rule of thumb, you can put more down if you wish, just wet sand flat between coats (time consuming, especially w/o a bake booth). Once the clear starts setting up and is no longer tacky, you can put another coat on. This should take about 15-20 mins, no need to wait almost an hour between coats unless it's 60 degrees and damp out. DuPont makes a fast flash clear that you only have to wait 2-3 mins between coats (love that ****). If you don't have access to a bake booth, wait 24 hours before wet sanding and buffing your clear. No need to wait 3 weeks before wet sanding and buffing, wait 2-3 weeks before applying wax.