Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Painting new bumper covers question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting new bumper covers question..

Guys, in the past I have bought those replacement plastic bumper covers made in xxxxxx. I have scuffed them and shot paint......it has peeled off..as in no stick. I have scuffed and shot with epoxy primer, then painted. It also has began to peel off. Last time my paint guy recommended some pre spray to aid paint adhesion, but have not used it. OK, so now I ordered "primed" new covers. They are black and said "ready to Paint". they look pretty good with a flat looking primer coating. What is best to do , just paint, or use that spray and then paint or shoot again with a better primer. Of course this is not a show car and the simplest would be to just shoot it.......but getting danged tired of paint not sticking....anybody used these primed covers yet....thanks

Last edited by tech8; 08-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: Painting new bumper covers question..

There's a painting sub-forum on Honda-Tech. This question is not specific to the 92-00 Civics. You'll have better luck finding the information you need searching there.

Paint adhesion is all about surface area and cleanliness. Your ready-to-paint parts should have been shot with self etching primer so you should be ready to shoot with paint after cleaning them. Have you been cleaning the parts?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit67
Guys, in the past I have bought those replacement plastic bumper covers made in Chinamanese. I have scuffed them and shot paint......it has peeled off..as in no stick. I have scuffed and shot with epoxy primer, then painted. It also has began to peel off. Last time my paint guy recommended some pre spray to aid paint adhesion, but have not used it. OK, so now I ordered "primed" new covers. They are black and said "ready to Paint". they look pretty good with a flat looking primer coating. What is best to do , just paint, or use that spray and then paint or shoot again with a better primer. Of course this is not a show car and the simplest would be to just shoot it.......but getting danged tired of paint not sticking....anybody used these primed covers yet....thanks
You need to get a green pad and soap and scrub off all the waxy film that covers the bumper, then hit it well with 400 grit sandpaper. If you need to they sell an adhesion promoter called Bulldog that you basically coat the entire bumper with. You let it stand for about 7 to 15 minutes before base coat goes on.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, yes , I really did clean and sand and scuff and cleaned again. But I was talking about two different covers. The last set were just the raw, plastic covers.....in which I did all that cleaning , scuffing, sanding , cleaned again. I then shot epoxy primer prior to painting. It began to peel in spots shortly after put back on the road. On this clunker, I found primed covers now offered. Had purchased Bulldog adhesion promoter due to my last non success with that job. Just askin if these new primed units NEEDED to have anything done other than clean and shoot....
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you adding any flex additive?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, not adding any flex additive.....thought that was for "softer" paint, not an adhesion promoter.....
Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM
Shit Posts: 15

Depends on who you ask.
Some guys will swear by adhesion promoter, and others will swear by just scuffing and spraying already primered bumpers.
The primered bumpers I have painted, they have been fine with no chipping or flaking.

If you already have the adhesion promoter, might as well use it now on your bumper for safe measure.
scuff it with red scothbrite pad, wash with soap and water and spray the adhesion promoter followed by paint or primer.
UPOL makes an adhesion primer, 2 in 1 and is cheaper than bull dog.
Flex additive is for 'softer' paint. According to the guy at the paint shop, front ends won't get any chips in paint from road debris if the additive is used.