Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paint Quantity eg hatch + Clear

Question, I'll be getting this kit...

Basecoat is 3:1 ratio
2 quarts reducer
1 quart clear activator/hardener

How much paint are you guys using to paint EG and EK hatches? Since they are pretty close in size i'de assume you would use close to the same amount of paint.

I would need to get primer i know, but this sounds like a good start since its my first time using "real" auto paint with a gun.

So this is what i'de like to go for...

-1 coat primer
-2 coats base
-2 to 3 coats of clear.

Is this enough paint? with a 3:1 ratio for base, that seems to go a LONG way for 1 gallon, or am i assuming wrong?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint Quantity eg hatch + Clear

That's plenty of paint to get the car done. However, I believe you will need more primer I would just get a gallon if you can. If you're going to be doing any serious body work, you're going to want to primer it up with a couple layers to get a good surface going then seal it up right before you paint.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eyger
That's plenty of paint to get the car done. However, I believe you will need more primer I would just get a gallon if you can. If you're going to be doing any serious body work, you're going to want to primer it up with a couple layers to get a good surface going then seal it up right before you paint.
Yea, the kit doesnt come with primer for some reason. My car is already primed white, but with rattle can primer done by the previous owner.

What about clear tho? Im assuming there is 1 gallon of clear in the kit but it doesnt specify.

As body work goes, i was lucky enough to find an EG with an almost perfect body. The only thing that would need work is the driver fender, but i could just replace it and be bondo free. Well, that is, if the previous owner hasnt already done this work for me on the rest of the body.
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the picture the clear is going to be the one on the left. I can only assume that it comes with a gallon of clear. Most kits like that are going to come with a gallon. The only way to be one hundred percent sure is to contact the seller of course. If it is a gallon of clear, again that's plenty to get the car done. If you do 2-3 base coats and 2-3 clear coats, I bet you'll still have a bunch left over. If it was me, I would just shoot the base until it achieves coverage and then lay on a couple clear coats more if you intend to sand and buff it out.

Just about all civics and accords are in my eyes 'small' cars meaning that you don't need a lot of paint to paint them. If you're going to paint like a big SUV or something, then you would need a lot more.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool man, thanks for the info. I can only hope this paint will look decent enough. Like the saying goes, its not the paint, but the prep/body work that makes the paint job look good. Thats true to an extent, its true that the base coat doesnt have to be shiney, just even, the clear does the rest, then the buff takes it to another level.

If this works out, i'll move up a level to maybe something more expensive haha.

EDIT: i forgot, the paint is Urethane.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on, well I'm glad to see that you're choosing to do some paint and body the right way. As opposed to a 50 dollar paint job, god I hate that.

Just remember, (I made this mistake on my first paint job) If something/anything goes wrong, STOP and fix the problem before moving on. Patience is rewarded in a field like this. If you drip the base, no big deal, stop wait a day sand the base, re-base, then clear. etc etc.

The very first car that I ever painted, it was black with a blue pearl in the clear. The black went on nicely, but I accidentally put oooohhhh two hundred times too much pearl in the clear, so I made one stroke and it came out like straight blue, I was shocked but didn't know what to do, so I just kept on painting....the car was suppose to be black, but it turned out blue! Live and learn. We all make mistakes, that's how to get experience.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Eyger
Right on, well I'm glad to see that you're choosing to do some paint and body the right way. As opposed to a 50 dollar paint job, god I hate that.

Just remember, (I made this mistake on my first paint job) If something/anything goes wrong, STOP and fix the problem before moving on. Patience is rewarded in a field like this. If you drip the base, no big deal, stop wait a day sand the base, re-base, then clear. etc etc.

The very first car that I ever painted, it was black with a blue pearl in the clear. The black went on nicely, but I accidentally put oooohhhh two hundred times too much pearl in the clear, so I made one stroke and it came out like straight blue, I was shocked but didn't know what to do, so I just kept on painting....the car was suppose to be black, but it turned out blue! Live and learn. We all make mistakes, that's how to get experience.
Hey now, my paint job that i've done on my previous car cost me LESS than $50 and it was not using shitting Rustoleum Enamel rolled on or sprayed.

This was rattle canned with Krylon Almond Satin, $3.50 per can. I was pretty proud of it and i always had people jockin the car.
Attached Images     
Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll need sealer too. i dont see it in that kit
Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you paint your car yet?? post pics if so. I was planning on using the same company