Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How many gallons of paint do you use?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many gallons of paint do you use?

Well, I was wondering lately so I wouldn't buy too much paint, how much gallon(s) of paint would you use to achieve a good paint job?

Also, would you recommend having paint with clear already in it, or putting clear AFTERWARDS? what are the pros/cons?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many gallons of paint do you use? (EK9Tune)

I usually buy 2 qts. and with reducer it works out to be 1 gal. 50/50. You can't wetsand and buff single stage (metallic). I have only used s.s. once. I only use PPG DBC&DCU
Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh really? dang, I figured it'd be much more then that. Also, what exactly is DBC,DBU,PPG, and so on? And where would I get PPG?

Yeah, I've been searching google and the threads, but I want some really good definitions.

So far all I really know about DBU, and DBC is that DBC came out after DBU. Well, I did a bit more research, and DCU is clear, and DBC is base paint.

Also, is there really a difference between Midori Green Mica and Midori Green Pearl?

Modified by EK9Tune at 10:41 AM 5/27/2007
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many gallons of paint do you use? (EK9Tune)

I just picked up some Midori paint for my brothers hatch. Don't think there is a difference between the two. I would suggest going with PPG, it lays down good and has a great shine.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: How many gallons of paint do you use? (SneezinCD5)

maybe DCU stands for deltron clear urethane
and DBC stands for deltron base coat.

i don't know , im just guessing.

oh yea, if you had the choice between a single stage and 2 stage. always go for the 2 stage.

if you are shooting a metallic always go for the 2 stage. if you are shooting a solid color, a single stage is just fine.

the pros of a 2 stage is that if you mess up on the base coat , you can always go and sand off the problem areas before you shoot the clear. once the clear goes on you can also work with the problem areas in your clear coat. very forgiving if you are a begginer

the cons? twice as much work.

the pros for single stage. its a one spray thing. reletively cheap. if you are going to paint your car yourself single stage. you might as well prep the car yourself and take it to macco, one day, or earl schieb.

the cons? if you mess up , you mess up. you can try to sand off the problem area but it's just going to sand off color. if a bird craps on it and you don't clean it off. it's going to leave an unremovable stain or mark.

but there are great single stage brands. a lot of the classic cars that are being rebuilt are painted single stage. i think it's more of a nostalgia thing though. but they look great anyways.

like all the painters say, all the hard work is in the body and prep. spraying is easy if a gun is set at the right settings.

Modified by bobyahead at 12:52 PM 5/27/2007
Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet, that looks clean. How many gallons is that paint? And, how much clear/hardener are you going to use?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DBC,DCU and PPG are really good products, i work with them all day, its what i do, i mix paint for bodyshops here in wisconsin, its really fun putting in the pearl and different colors and watchin it make the specified color
Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ooo, it sounds interesting, because yeah, we're going to go paint and my friends EK. We want to do things right the first time, so we're asking questions & doing research.