Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

How to make sanded clear coat shine again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make sanded clear coat shine again?

I bought a CD5 and just finished the N/A H22 motor. The kid that owned it before me was going to repaint it so he started sanding the doors on the car but never sanded the rest of the car. Now I know nothing about painting or buffing. Is there any way to bring the shine back to the clear coat without painting it again? I know he didn't sand through the clear coat bc it has a ghost graphic that runs down the side of the car and it's untouched. Is there any easy way to make the doors shine again??? I searched around but mainly found threads on wetsanding dull clear coat after paint jobs. Any tips or material lists would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make sanded clear coat shine again?

No just spray clear on it
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I just sprayed clear coat on it, it wouldnt look right, let alone match at all. It has a really dull white to it now. It's like almost a cloudy cover over it. Of course it's the way the clear coat looks from being sanded. I was hoping it could be buffed or wet sanded out.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on what grit he used. If he was prepping for paint, it is possible he just scuffed using a scotchbrite which would mean you could take out the scratches fairly easy.

If you want to do it the right way, take it to a shop to get them to use a paint thickness gauge to measure how far through he went. These gauges can also be bought online for reasonable prices.

I'd suggest seeing if you can get it just dull with little to no whiteness using 2000g wetsand paper. Then hit with a sheepswool or rough waffle pad and megs m105. Finish it with a foam pad and megs m205. Hit with wax after than.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to your local jobber (auto paint store) or body shop and see what they say. you may get lucky and be able to just buff it out. just be careful there may not be much clear left on it and if you go through the clear and hit the basecoat the you will have to repaint. if its not buffing out or feel it may be a little risky to buff. heres a little trick, spray wax and grease remover (use wax and grease remover from jobber) on the door it will show what the door would look like if cleared, if you see scratches then you could spray some clear basecoat then clear. if you cant see scratches just reclear
Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'll try that first. I'm not afraid to mess it up bc chances are, the car will need repainted andyways. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1000- 2000g wetsand followed by Meguiars Ultimate Compound. That stuff does magic, closest thing to OEM paint i could get with rattlecan.(Fender is the one rattle canned)

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Meguires ultimate compound is the best compound I have ever used (by hand). It is great stuff for the consumer market and it breaks down and gets finer as you use it. Good stuff.

That being said, you'll get better results with m105 and m205 if you have a buffer.