Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

compressor voltages

Old 10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compressor voltages

is anyone using a 110 volt to 210 volt converter to power their compressor. im looking to upgrade to this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1...mv=rr

for car painting and air tool use. my main question is how safe is the converter compared to rewiring a outlet in my garage ?

here the converter im looking at http://www.220-electronics.com....html
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (tony413)

Just get a 2 pole breaker either 20 or 30amp depending on your compressors draw at start up and run some 10/2 to a dedicated outlet for the compressor. At 220 volts your compressor will draw apx half the amps that it would at 110 volts. Therefore saving you $$$ and making the compressor motors life easier. If you plan on buying that piece of crap converter good luck. That compressor will draw alot more than 200 watts
Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not use that crappy converter box...220 just doesn't work that way. Like precisionsc54 said, get a 2-pole breaker with the correct amp rating (from the compressor) and the proper wire and do it the right way.

I have personally heard a lot of bad things about Craftsman compressors from doing my research before I bought my compressor. I ended up with an Ingersoll-Rand
Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (Hawkze_2.3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do not use that crappy converter box...220 just doesn't work that way. Like precisionsc54 said, get a 2-pole breaker with the correct amp rating (from the compressor) and the proper wire and do it the right way.

I have personally heard a lot of bad things about Craftsman compressors from doing my research before I bought my compressor. I ended up with an Ingersoll-Rand </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok thanks guys im looking at a campbell hausfeld model VT6359 it puts out 10.2cfm @ 90psi and runs on 110volts and has a 60 gallon tank. it seems to be the best bang for the buck but how is the performance from the campbell company ??? anyone know
Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Craftsman Compressors = JUNK Ive had a few and they garbage. I would rather buy a harbor freight compressor and get the extended warranty lol Im serious. Anything over 10cfm at 90psi will run most any tool out there.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (precisionsc54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by precisionsc54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Craftsman Compressors = JUNK Ive had a few and they garbage. I would rather buy a harbor freight compressor and get the extended warranty lol Im serious. Anything over 10cfm at 90psi will run most any tool out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man that sucks i usually like craftsman products. but oh well the campbell i listed is $430 so its looking really attractive at the moment
Old 10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the campbell one, but doing any electrical work in my house is not an option so 120 volt is my max.

does a compressor that can handle a paint gun exist at 120volt??
Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (starbai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starbai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like the campbell one, but doing any electrical work in my house is not an option so 120 volt is my max.

does a compressor that can handle a paint gun exist at 120volt?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a stretch....power will be hard to get at 110. You might consider getting a high-end gun because they use less air (generally) than cheaper guns. Check the CFM requirements on the guns you look at.

Another issue with weaker compressors is that they may work for a limited time, but they can't keep up with painting for extended periods of time. You may be fine with a 110 compressor if you are just doing small projects, but painting a car, for example, may not be possible.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what exactly is a 2 pole breaker? how does this work?

I just read a little bit by a simple google search on what a 2 pole breaker is but ulitmately that means going into the breaker in my home.

I dont necessarily mind a licensed electician doing that work on my braker but i have no crawl space or any way of running new outlets to my garage.

they would have to go into walls and thats just not an option for me.

What could I do instead? have them put the outlet right next to the braker and run an extension cord to the garage?

If thats not gonna work then I need to stick with a 110volt compressor no?

and if I find one of those, am i right in understanding that there simply isn't a compressor out there suitable for painting cars that can run on 110?

whats a guy to do?

Modified by starbai at 1:46 PM 10/7/2008
Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's a stretch....power will be hard to get at 110. You might consider getting a high-end gun because they use less air (generally) than cheaper guns. Check the CFM requirements on the guns you look at.

Another issue with weaker compressors is that they may work for a limited time, but they can't keep up with painting for extended periods of time. You may be fine with a 110 compressor if you are just doing small projects, but painting a car, for example, may not be possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so soemthing liek this, what tony413 suggested: campbell hausfeld model VT6359 it puts out 10.2cfm @ 90psi and runs on 110volts and has a 60 gallon tank

will not work???
Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hawkze_2.3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you used a SATA 3000 series its the biggest airhog you can get but it produces amazing work.

also why would a 110 volt compressor not be as good as a 210 volt compressor, they will both refill the tank before the tank gets empty.

http://www.northerntool.com/we...65168

Modified by tony413 at 2:03 PM 10/7/2008
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (starbai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starbai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what exactly is a 2 pole breaker? how does this work?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have 2 separate 'inputs' coming from the power lines outside. Each one shoots ~110v at alternating intervals into your breaker box, which has 2 sides in itself. Most appliances you plug into the regular 110 outlets just run off of one of these shots of 110. To run something big and not blow breakers all the time you need to feed off of both of these 110 shots. Ssooooo if you get a 2-pole breaker, it takes power from each side and gives you a total of ~240 instead of 110.

I'm not an expert so I hope that makes sense.

You also have to have the right size wire to carry the current...the bigger the better and copper ain't cheap right now I was able to get some free wire because my parents use to have a 240v hot tub in their house and they let me go strip the wire from their attic

Honestly, I would not try to do anything unless you are prepared to spend the $$$$ and do it the right way. Paying a shop to paint your car might be a better option.....just a thought...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

have you used a SATA 3000 series its the biggest airhog you can get but it produces amazing work.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe so, but a lot of better quality guns use less air (or the same air more efficiently)...it just depends which gun it is I suppose.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also why would a 110 volt compressor not be as good as a 210 volt compressor, they will both refill the tank before the tank gets empty.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because when the 110v compressor flips your breaker in the middle of the paint job and you don't have air or light, the 220v compressor would have just been cruising along giving you all the air you need.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Because when the 110v compressor flips your breaker in the middle of the paint job and you don't have air or light, the 220v compressor would have just been cruising along giving you all the air you need.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha oh ok well look at the link i posted its the compressor im looking at
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really, for car painting you want at least 5 RUNNING HP. Lots of these manufacturers use the peak HP numbers of the electric motor they use and that is not what matters.

I don't think that would be enough to paint a whole car. If you want to do parts and stuff, it should work, but it would be rough trying to do a whole car.

Do you have a paint gun in mind? What are the CFM requirements of it?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im looking at a anest iwata for the base/clearcoats and a sata or devillbliss for the primer

once i decide my paint company and what they recommend thats what i may go with. if i need to go rent a booth with a compressor then that maybe what i have to do

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spray....aspx
Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 PM

HP equates to about 746 watts per HP, and electric motors can draw anywhere from 4 to 8 times their nameplate rating at start up. For example if the 3.2 HP compressor draws roughly 2400 watts @ 240 volts which is 10 amps. At start up it can draw as much as 80 amps for an extremely short period of time. I only glanced at the page, but none of those converters looked to be rated higher than 200 watts.

It's a bit of a hack job, but you could make an extension cord based on the specs of the compressor. I'm guessing it will recommend #10/3 wire and a 30 amp overcurrent device (breaker or time delay fuse). However, last time I priced 10/3 it was $178/250' here in NY, so that can add up fast.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compressor voltages (dgkrzy)

im thinking i may just rent a booth to paint my car, but still buy a compressor for my other air tools