Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Clear coat fading, what to do?? Searched

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat fading, what to do?? Searched

i read through the All you need to know about paint but didnt find the answer i was looking for.

the car is a tahitian green pear ( oem paint) 91 civic So the clear coat on my hood and roof are fading and its leaving thoes white spots. The doors, panels, fenders and the bottom part of the bumpers are still in good condition but the top part of the panels are starting to shed the clear. would sanding the clear down and repspraying without any primer work? is there anyting i can do abou the small sheding spots? or am i better of just painting the whole car? i will post pics soon.

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear coat fading, what to do?? Searched

Depending on how many spots are bad, you could re-shoot only the spots, but to me it sounds like the paint is all gone.

As a temp fix, you can feather the bad spots out with higher grit wet sand paper until they are just flat color, no white oxidation. Shooting clear over this will make it look better for a while, but it will fail for sure eventually.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ wtf?
Um no. Repainting (means base and clear) is your only option. /end of thread.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swappedcx
^ wtf?
Um no. Repainting (means base and clear) is your only option. /end of thread.
New to the game? You can re-clear over old base, depending on the condition of the basecoat underneath. It isn't a proper solution, but it's dirty and cheap (which I assume may be what he is looking for, considering he has a 91, but I very well could be mistaken.)
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your right about re clearing. Thats actually the right way to do it if you have nothing wrong with the base. Thats how you blend panels without applying base on the whole panel. I would take and air hose and blow as much of the clear off as possible then feather it out with a da, using 800 grit paper... Blow the panel off again to see if anything will chip off. Aslong as its stickin to the car your good. Wash It down with water, then precleaner. The more clean you get it, tje better it will turn out. Then go to town.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt spot it in tho...it'll look loke doo doo...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thing is the sides of the car are in mint condition but the clear coat is starting to chip off too. everything that faces up (hood, roof, top of bumper ect.) is almost all without clear. i want the car looking good again. so is sanding the whole clear of the entire car and re-spraying a new base my best bet? if so would i need to apply a sealer first, what happens to the spots where metal start to show?

I have painted small motorcycle part but yeah for the most part i am very new to this. any help or suggestions will be appreciated
thank you.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dannysolis92005
i read through the All you need to know about paint but didnt find the answer i was looking for.

The car in question is a tahitian green pear ( oem paint code HONDA-53TGP, not the best choice, as it could cause a trade show stampede) stock 1991 Civic. The clear coat on the hood and roof are fading and its leaving thoes white spots. The doors, panels, fenders and the bottom part of the bumpers are still in good condition but the top part of the panels are starting to shed the clear. would sanding the clear down and repspraying without any primer work? is there anyting i can do abou the small sheding spots? or am i better of just painting the whole car? i will post pics soon.

Thank you.
Well, at least your 91 civic made it this long. I gave up on my 94 civic several years ago and got the whole thing painted even though it was only the roof and hood that was going bad. Honda has done some poor paint jobs in the past. I'm assuming it's better now, but 94 wasn't a good year (in my experience).
If you do a re-paint, it's best to stick with the same color so the inside parts match, imho.

Last edited by LugNot; 04-08-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as your not starting from scratch you dont need a sealer. If your going down to bare metel in random spots, you need to prime, block, and if you dont block it back down with something lower than 320 you can d.a it out with 6-800 grit then base and clear. FYI if you put base near another panel your gonna have to blend for it to look right. Hope this helps...one thing hard to explain without showing you.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So much fail in this thread. If you searched for sure you would have found your answer. If the clear is baked off due to Hot Cali sun, you're screwed. You'll HAVE to respray BASE AND CLEAR. If you respray over that old baked flaky base coat, it will be like me clear coating a turd to make it look good.