Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

General Body & Paint Questions

Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default General Body & Paint Questions

2007 Toyota Yaris Hatcback, A/T, 85k miles. Mild side to side (other car) collision three days ago.

I know this isn't a Honda (I've owned 3 in the past 10 years) but I have a few questions concerning body and paint questions I hope to have answered. Very fortunate that no one was hurt and damages on both vehicles are fairly mild. On my wife's car (Yaris) there is no apparent mechanical issues: no leaks, front end does not pull to either side or vibrate. I intend to bring it in for an alignment and tire balancing inspection soon to be sure.

Seven body shops all saying the same thing: passenger side fender needs to be replaced with either salvaged oem or insurance approved new part. The front bumper is reusable, liner is reusable, needs new lower bumper/fender (plastic) brace. I purchased an item hubcap on eBay. The quotes for the repair plus base and clear to feather-in are coming in between $600-$700 and seem consistent from shop to shop.

Prior to this accident we considered getting a full paint job as it's a low milage car (for year made) and has been very dependable. However, it has a few minor dents, scratches and clear coat delamination on hood and rooftop. We were told by the body shops the rooftop and hood need to be sanded down to either base coat or metal. Estimates to both the fender install/repair and repaint together are ranging from $1,400 to $3,500. All, except Maaco, are claiming to strip good and roof to either base or bare metal and use either PPG or Nason base, sealant and between one and three coats of clear coat. My concerns are:
1) Shop keeping to their stated time frame start to finish of one week
2) Overspray (especially in radiator and condenser cores) and poor taping
3) Actually doing the stated work. I plan to ask for pictures to be sent to my phone at various stages such as repair, sanding, paint.
4) invoices showing paint brand/model and paint code

I found a salvage yard two hours from me that has a right fender, same paint code as wife's car in "A" rated condition. Pictures they sent confirm very good condition. I am very tempted to drive there (they won't ship) and install the fender myself. If installed correctly then I will evaluate to leave as is (if it is a near match in color) or paint entire car. Either way it should save $400 to $500 off the bill.

Looking for suggestions and comments on how I should proceed, what to ask body shops, etc..