Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Best way to paint my front end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to paint my front end?

Would do it professionally but I'm already having to order the front bumper, hood, and passenger side fender for my 99 Ex Coupe. I have to fix it myself because other driver has no insurance and I'm 19 paying liability on my own. So that being said I want to buy aftermarket parts that are cheap and that I could spray paint myself. I wouldn't mind plasti dipping it but from what I heard it'll look off to the OEM paint which I don't mind unless it's obviously terribly off lol. What's the closest I could get to OEM? Should I take the parts to a paint shop to see how much they'd charge to paint just the parts? I have the flamenco black pearl paint if that makes a difference. Also any DIY pics post them! Balling on a budget here lol
Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to paint my front end?

I don't necessarily know what you have around you but some body shop supply stores can mix paint to the Honda code into spraycans. The one near me will even paint meter the existing panel to compensate for fading.

I have had luck bringing loose panels to body shops in the past to have them paint them; usually it's not a bad deal if you have the time to shop around. Local enthusiast forums probably know the best/cheapest places.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Shit Posts: 15

What state are you in?

Pearl pint jobs can be rough for the novice person in auto body.
If it is a true pearl, it will be a tri coat. (Paint, pearl, clear)
it might also be just pearl mixed in with basecoat.

I agree reed with the above. Go to a local paint shop and ask if they are able to mix paint into a spray can for you.
They aren't cheap tho. About $20-$30 a can.
And if it's a true pearl, expect to pay more.

See what the the cost of material is and then see what the cost of a shop to paint it is.
I'm sure you'll find a shop that will do it cheaper than anyone else, and you'll avoid the headache of doing it yourself.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What color? Keep an eye out at local pick your part lots and you may find the parts you need in the same color. Most likely the fading will be slightly different than you have on your car but maybe close enough so no one can tell. Give the whole thing a nice color sand/wax and your good to go.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a lot easier to paint new panels because they basically come ready to paint (minor prep). I'd stay away from plasti-dip. If you have the stuff, (tools to paint with) a makeshift booth out of PVC (frame), plastic from Home Depot (walls), a fan, and a few filters should get you there. You need a clan environment free from dust when you [aint the top coats. The clear we use does not dry fast. Any dirt floating around will stick to your wet paint while it is curing. The dirt/dust will cause imperfections. Painting takes practice. There are some good you tube channels I learned a lot from. One is DIYAutoschool and another one is The Gunman. Take your beat up panel and practice on it. It's going to be a lot more work involved but you will learn a lot. Start by sanding them with 180 then go to 320. Prime it then sand it back down to 400-600 and topcoat it. I use Urethane Base/clear. The paint shop can tell you if it's a tri-coat or not. Good luck with it.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Shit Posts: 15

You use 180 then 320 on new panels like the OP is asking?

New panels can be sanded with 400-600 and sprayed, considering they have no damage.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMswagSerf
You use 180 then 320 on new panels like the OP is asking?

New panels can be sanded with 400-600 and sprayed, considering they have no damage.
The 180 to 320 was for practicing on his old panels. On a new panel all you need to do is skuff it with a red scotch brite pad.