Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Anyone use mixed touch up paint in a spray can before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use mixed touch up paint in a spray can before?

When I mean mixed, it means having the local paint supply mix you up paint based on your paint code (as opposed to buying it off of the shelf)...and they put it in a spray can.

Each can costs like $20 locally. This can be a more cost effective way to paint large panels for guys like me who don't have a spray gun.

How is the quality of the paint? Given that the shop mixed the paint right, will it being in an aerosol can have any effects on the color when it's sprayed?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Anyone use mixed touch up paint in a spray can before? (R-Toyz.com)

Not too sure on this one. My boss recently bought some to paint his light poles around his house, guess it worked out ok for him. He had the supplier mix up some PPG paint to match the color of the trim on his house. I think it would work ok, but I don't know about metallic paint in an aerosol can, you may have a problem with how the metallic lays...but I never tried it so I don't know. It might be better for engine bays rather than outside panels.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Anyone use mixed touch up paint in a spray can before? (R-Toyz.com)

most of the time metallic colors dont match the greatest. and theres no way to catalize the paint so it doesnt hold up to well. After a couple months in the sun it will start to oxidize out. BUt if its temporary or your trying to sell the car its ok. BUt i wouldn't recomend it( i work at a paint supply store)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 PM

if it's a non metallic color...will it hold?

It's just a temporary fix to get me thru the summer looking flossy....until I get the car painted completely and professionally by the fall.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: (R-Toyz.com)

It should look ok, if youre good at using a spray can. You can see it in some threads on this board, where people have painted their entire car with spraycans and it came out looking good. But then there are other people who cant spray paint at all and it comes out looking wavy and runny.

You might also want to spray a coat of clear on top too, just to seal the paint in.

And maybe buy some cheap 2 dollar cans of metal paint and find a peice of sheet metal, and practice your spraying on that if youre not sure about your skills. Better to spend 15 bucks now getting good than look at your car every day for the next 6 months and feel bad about the job you did.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: (bobjohnson)

So I was able to finally do the rattle can job on the bumper:

The paint wasn't a perfect match and it came out with some slight blotchiness (aerosol wouldn't give me a consistent spray during long passes). I could have applied another coat to make it even, but I ran out of paint and the local store was closed for the holiday. Pressed for time I just went ahead and cleared it.

For the money I spent, and given that I painted the bumper on my condo's porch...it wasn't bad.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

not bad at all.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM knowledge)

R-Toyz.com;

Can you list the steps used for your bumper?

thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (efficiencyJunkie)

Just throwing this out there for the sake of conversation, Eastwood sells refillable/rechargeable aerosol cans for 50 bux. I suppose someone could buy the paint, the can, and then use their little air compressor (one that can’t properly push a HLVP spray gun) and paint small stuff while not paying 20 bux per aerosol can.

From my own experience painting w/automotive paint is a spray can, it came out like ***.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (G2turbo_terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2turbo_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just throwing this out there for the sake of conversation, Eastwood sells refillable/rechargeable aerosol cans for 50 bux. I suppose someone could buy the paint, the can, and then use their little air compressor (one that can’t properly push a HLVP spray gun) and paint small stuff while not paying 20 bux per aerosol can.

From my own experience painting w/automotive paint is a spray can, it came out like ***.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got a link I could check out for the said product?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by efficiencyJunkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">R-Toyz.com;

Can you list the steps used for your bumper?

thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

My bumper had cracked and chipped paint, so I had to use body filler and primer the whole bumper. If you're just doing a straight re-spray with the same color, I believe you can get away without primer.

1) Sand bumper
2) Primer / Sealer
3) Sand Primer, I used 220 grit
4) Apply light first coat of paint
5) Wait 5 mins for first coat to flash/tack
6) Apply additional coats (wait every 5 mins to tack in between coats) until color is uniform
7) Apply Clear

I still have to wetsand and buff the bumper to get it looking very shiny.

Trick on using the spray can is to treat it like a gun and mist the panel being painted...rather than trying to color it with every pass. It's a slow process but the color comes out eventually and in my case I did not get any runs at all. Also remember to keep on shaking the can in between passes. Sweep the whole panel with one pass and don't **** your wrists while you spray...keep the can pointed to the body panel. Also start every pass by spraying on the atmosphere rather than on the panel. This way you get a more even spray pattern and layer.

If you see that you're losing pressure and paint, use a fresh spray can. If you try to squeeze out the paint from a can, it may end up sputtering and ruin your work. so it pays to buy more paint than what you think you'll use.

Also make sure that you ask the paint store to suggest a brand of primer and clear coat that is compatible with the paint they're using. This is important since incompatible paints/clears will ruin all your work.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much time did you wait in between the paint and clear?

Also, did you wet sand with 800/1000/1500/2000 in between the paint and clear?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R-Toyz.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Got a link I could check out for the said product?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump...ODUCT

If the link doesn't work search for item# 11181
Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 PM

I waited around 20 mins for the paint to dry, then hit it with the clear. Didn't wetsand in between either.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (G2turbo_terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2turbo_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump...ODUCT

If the link doesn't work search for item# 11181</TD></TR></TABLE>

not bad...I was also looking at an electric spray guns