Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

? about paint my crx myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about paint my crx myself

ok so i think im gonna paint my crx myself with a single stage gloss black paint . my problem is the guy the owned the car before spray painted the whole car with rattle can's(gloss black). some people including macco said that i would have to sand all the spray paint off before i i could put real auto paint on. but i see some people that paint there car just ruff up the surface on there existing paint and start spraying. so is there anyway i can get away with painting the car without stripping all the rattle can paint off? can i just primer over the paint on the car now and then spray the single stage on that and if i can what is the best paint to get that would stick to rattle can primer the best enamel,urethane, or polyurathane any help would be appreciated
Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ? about paint my crx myself

Once you go rattle can, you never go back. Unless you sand it off. There was a thread on this forum not too long ago, where a member sprayed auto paint over rattle can paint on an old hood. If I remember correctly, all of the rattle can paint failed for adhesion and de-lamination.

The real here is, what's under the rattle can paint. You never know until you sand it down and find out. Who knows if the dude before you prepared it correctly.

There's a quote I read from custom paint any body magazine, which said something like "A great paint job is 90 percent prepwork and 10 percent paint gun experience."

There is another guy that posted on hotrodders.com "We're not professional painters, we're professional sanders!"

And all that stuff is true.

Yes, you could scuff it up and paint over top of it. Although you're taking a gamble on weather or not the paint will stay on the car. If it was me, I would sand it down to metal and start over. it would bother me forever that I don't know what's under there.

Just another tid bit, as you might already know, black is one of those colors which is least forgiving on imperfections in paint. Because of the mirror shine, if there's one little ding that doesn't get fixed, then you'll see it big time.