Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Fiero?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiero?

Anyone ever driven a fiero? Trying to compare to my del sol.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Fiero?

completely incomparable....2 totally different designs and feel...imo dumb question
Old 07-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

front engine rev happy I4 fwd vs a mid engine torque based v6 rwd.

personally, i'd take the Fiero. a B16 Sol weighs about the same as a 2.8 v6 '88 GT. but the Fiero handles a little better.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My del sol is the s model, crappy little 102hp engine. I guess it is more comparable to the 2.5 4 cylinder, but I wouldn't buy one unless it was the v6.

The 88 had suspension changes. How did the previous model's handling compare?

Also, what about the clutch and shifter? Del sol has a numb feeling clutch, probably needs replacement too it is getting to have high engagement, but a very smooth shifter.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16efsedan.
completely incomparable....2 totally different designs and feel...imo dumb question
I 2nd that.. thread creating fail
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Daughter not possible

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt imagine a Fiero being much fun even with the 2.8, simply because that motor runs out of steam pretty quick.

But I would get no less than an 88 Fastback GT. Swap anything else into it.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1990CamaroRS

personally, i'd take the Fiero. a B16 Sol weighs about the same as a 2.8 v6 '88 GT. but the Fiero handles a little better.
the average weight of a del sol (of all models) is 2,295 lbs, the average weight of the fiero is 2,790 lbs, thats a 500 lbs difference, so no they dont weigh about the same, and the only way the fiero handles better than a del sol is if the del sol has 4 flat tires, the fiero was a horrible designed car along with its 2.8 engine thats only good use is for a boat anchor, as the other guy said, these are 2 cars on totally different level, there is no comparision
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can swap a Chevy 350ci in that Fiero if you choose. I've even seen a few 4G63 powered Fieros. The stock 2.8 is not the greatest motor GM could have stuck in it but you can always switch it out for something better. I personally think a GN motor (V6 Turbo) would be a really cool project.

But the Fiero does not handle better. I remember years ago when the GT was popular Road and Track or one of the big publications like that did a comparo between the Fiero and the same model year Vette. In certain catagories the Fiero hung close but got put to shame in accel,top speed,and slalom. Mind you the Vettes made like 240hp back then. Nothing to write home about.

Last edited by 1KWHP1G; 09-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theEFkid
the average weight of a del sol (of all models) is 2,295 lbs, the average weight of the fiero is 2,790 lbs, thats a 500 lbs difference, so no they dont weigh about the same, and the only way the fiero handles better than a del sol is if the del sol has 4 flat tires, the fiero was a horrible designed car along with its 2.8 engine thats only good use is for a boat anchor, as the other guy said, these are 2 cars on totally different level, there is no comparision
so you compare a stripper Del Sol to a full options Fiero in weight. congrats on stooping to the level of retard that only trolls dare tread. both with full options is about 200lbs difference (almost 2535lbs Del Sol, 2790lbs Fiero). drive a stock '88 GT or Formula and a stock Del Sol back to back and see which handles better.

i will agree that the 2.8 is a boat anchor by today's standards. it wasn't bad back in the 80's though.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You would have to do some serious suspension work on the Fiero and lighten it up quite a bit to even come close to the nimble little Honda. The layout of each vehicles platform simply does not allow for these two vehicles to feel anything like eachother in the handling department. The Honda has understeer because it's FWD and the Fiero due to it's weight distribution. Even if you were to dump a bunch of money into the Fiero's suspension (shocks/struts,frame connectors,poly bushings throughout the entire suspension system) it would handle better,but still would not feel like a FWD Honda such as the Del Slo.
It's an older GM vehicle. It would probably be closer in comparison to an older Chevy Blazer than a Honda. This comparison is akin to comparing a Chevy Baretta to a Nissan 350Z. They are just not in the same catagory.Suspension would not be the only thing you would have to mod to get the car to handle more like a Del Sol. Steering box would have to be switched out for something less clunky and domestic feeling. Chassis would need some stiffening up. But even still after doing that you would most likely just have a better handling Fiero. It'll never feel like an import car such as the Honda. Sorry,man.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you compare a stripper Del Sol to a full options Fiero in weight. congrats on stooping to the level of retard that only trolls dare tread. both with full options is about 200lbs difference (almost 2535lbs Del Sol, 2790lbs Fiero). drive a stock '88 GT or Formula and a stock Del Sol back to back and see which handles better.

i will agree that the 2.8 is a boat anchor by today's standards. it wasn't bad back in the 80's though.
My facts came straight from honda IN, but im sure your google facts of a "stripper" del sol were 100% correct, I in fact owned an 87 GT fiero, and a del sol and i did see which one handles better, the fiero couldnt touch the del sol, but ofcourse in your typical knuckle dragger, trailer trash, American iron is best mentality you would pick the car that handles about as good as a wet sock would, but hey all a car really needs to do to handle good is go left around a nascar track right? I bet your the kinda guy that thought pintos and metros were good cars
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright alright. Easy,EFkid. Dont keep it going.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theEFkid
My facts came straight from honda IN, but im sure your google facts of a "stripper" del sol were 100% correct, I in fact owned an 87 GT fiero, and a del sol and i did see which one handles better, the fiero couldnt touch the del sol, but ofcourse in your typical knuckle dragger, trailer trash, American iron is best mentality you would pick the car that handles about as good as a wet sock would, but hey all a car really needs to do to handle good is go left around a nascar track right? I bet your the kinda guy that thought pintos and metros were good cars
congrats, i said an '88 GT with the completely redesigned front and rear subframes and suspension geometry. not that craptastic early suspension of the '84 - '87.

i'm going from having auto-x raced both. the Del Sol was on Star Specs the entire season i co-drove it. the Fiero had Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's on it. both were stock. only difference was tires.

personally, the Del Sol felt way to twitchy. i had to worry about the back end trying to swap ends with the front more than once. it would just snap too, going from massive understeer to tail end trying to fly off into the sunset. it was always eager to enter the corner, then it would load up badly mid corner and suddenly snap into oversteer. didn't matter how i enter the corner or how fast or slow my entry was. always did the same.

i only drove the Fiero for one event. it wasn't as eager to dive in, but it felt much more stable mid corner. it did still have understeer, but it wasn't that bad and the car was still controllable. if i felt the back end starting to come around, i just eased into the gas and let the rear tires get a little more grip. it was predictable and it was easy to repeat runs, i had .010 of a second difference between all three of my runs that day with it.

in case you haven't noticed, i don't really judge handling on peak numbers. the Del Sol on paper does put down better numbers, i'm not denying that. but i feel it's less stable and less predictable IMO.

the only Metro's i like are the 6R4's btw

i do like the personal attacks though, really adds character to the post