Notices
Other Make Vehicles Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc.

Opinion needed: continue to mod or get new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion needed: continue to mod or get new car?

Long story short, my first car was a 94 civic coupe, modded it, traded it for a 05 wrx wagon. I modded the wagon to stg 2, but sold it for a 99 si. I've had the si for about over 2 years. It has recaros, itr 5 lug, bbs rs's etc etc now i dont know whatt to do. I been wanting to get a 05-07 sti or 06/07/09 wrx for awhile. I'm at the point where i dont know if I should just keep putting money into my civic or just part it out and find a wrx? Deffinately in the next few years a wrx would be more practical for me, I just dont want to waste a lot of money for the time being. Maybe someone could tell me if they had previous "modified" hondas then went to a wrx or sti or any car for that matter, if it was worth it or you miss it or the situation you were in? Thanks

Oh and like the next mods would probaly be turbo the b16 maybe which would be a lot of extra $$. And a good thing is if I decide to part out my civic, I can make a few grand back and still sell the si for 9-10k. It only has 64kmiles on it.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Opinion needed: continue to mod or get new car?

Have both
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Simple_Sauce
Have both
yup, i built my gsr last year and then i bought my STi about 1 month after i finished the integra. i DD the gsr and keep the STi in the garage so it stays minty fresh.
i love both. lol.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by THE LORD OF CHAOS
yup, i built my gsr last year and then i bought my STi about 1 month after i finished the integra. i DD the gsr and keep the STi in the garage so it stays minty fresh.
i love both. lol.
wish i could do the same, what type of build for the gsr, boost?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 06 Subaru Legacy GT and i am overall pretty happy but make sure its really what you want. The car drives great and is a wonderful daily driver. But on the flip side i average 19 MPG, sheet metal is complete garbage (very thin), the paint is not that great either, and subaru warranties are shot down if your car is modded.

And my legacy had a oil pick up tube shatter and blew my lower end and turbo. I did take an extended but it was a hastle and subaru seems to be covering it up as a problem but it would have been a $5200 repair bill.

Just thought i would share and you might want to check into performance parts because they don't come cheap. I am not bashing Subaru as i do enjoy my car but they do have issues as all cars do.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Milab21
wish i could do the same, what type of build for the gsr, boost?
the gsr is na atm, but i might boost it this year. i may also trade it for 240. im not sure. im kinda undecided.

i wanted a fun dd that gets good mpg's. the teg fulfills those goals right now.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an 04 WRX for seven months, brand new factory order, and it was a ****ing disaster. Catastrophic trans failure at ~5mph in reverse with 700 miles on the car, nonfunctional gas gauge, dumb ****.

99% of them are just fine, but it sucks when you get a bad one because warranties are spotty and the **** that does tend to break is expensive to deal with.

04-07 STi is pretty bulletproof though. Better the 6MT or 4AT than any 5MT, IMO. Subie 5MT is rubbish.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my first car 00' Integra LS for 5 years.

in the last 7 months of ownership it was turbo'd and was sold with the turbo.

in the last year of owning that integra i got a 240sx as a daily driver.

a month after i sold the turbo i got an 04 Evo. modded to stage 1 plus plus - did a few track days and autocrosses, but it wasnt meant to be. i parted it out and sold it 18 months later.

shortly after i got another integra, since it kind of fell in my lap.

after rolling in the 2nd teg and 240sx for about half a year, i got a 06 G35 sedan sport.

a month after having 3 cars, i sold the 240sx.

hmmm so how does that apply to you?

i was 20 when i first got the first integra, and im 29 now...so maybe priorities are different with you, but now i'm all about buying well performing cars in stock form. modding takes too much time and money. its not even about the money more so about spending the free time on working on cars.

i would advise against turbo'ing the civic, but thats really up to you.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spec R
i had my first car 00' Integra LS for 5 years.

in the last 7 months of ownership it was turbo'd and was sold with the turbo.

in the last year of owning that integra i got a 240sx as a daily driver.

a month after i sold the turbo i got an 04 Evo. modded to stage 1 plus plus - did a few track days and autocrosses, but it wasnt meant to be. i parted it out and sold it 18 months later.

shortly after i got another integra, since it kind of fell in my lap.

after rolling in the 2nd teg and 240sx for about half a year, i got a 06 G35 sedan sport.

a month after having 3 cars, i sold the 240sx.

hmmm so how does that apply to you?

i was 20 when i first got the first integra, and im 29 now...so maybe priorities are different with you, but now i'm all about buying well performing cars in stock form. modding takes too much time and money. its not even about the money more so about spending the free time on working on cars.

i would advise against turbo'ing the civic, but thats really up to you.
thanks guys, some helpful info. got me thinking....
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn man, u almost the same as me, i have 00 MR Si too and been dreaming about an STi for the longest time.. LoL... my opinion for you is to sell the Si and buy STi !!! haha thats what im gonna do when i have money to afford STi
Old 01-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a pinto and call it a day!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

STi> any civic/integra. Go get an 04-06 like mentioned. Its got 4drs as well so thats an advantage over the civic. Plus its actually fast
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i forgot to mention, the evo was my DREAM car. i wanted one ever since i saw jackie chan in thunderbolt. the 2nd dream car was a turbo integra...so i had both, and realized the dream is almost better than the reality.

i love my G35...its got enough power to get a smile on my face, and i rarely use all of it, similar to my evo and turbo teg. by the time u can have fun, u're breaking the law. so its kind of pointless for someone like me who doesnt street race/freeway race, and does maybe 2-3 track/autocross events a year. i'm not here to advertise the g35 or anything but having a more mature car that doesnt have a boy-racer stigma sure makes me enjoy it more. long story short, i barely miss my old dream cars.

the current teg i have is strictly for MPG and secondary transportation. yeah its SLIGHTLY modded but performance was its bone stock.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spec R
yeah i forgot to mention, the evo was my DREAM car. i wanted one ever since i saw jackie chan in thunderbolt. the 2nd dream car was a turbo integra...so i had both, and realized the dream is almost better than the reality.

i love my G35...its got enough power to get a smile on my face, and i rarely use all of it, similar to my evo and turbo teg. by the time u can have fun, u're breaking the law. so its kind of pointless for someone like me who doesnt street race/freeway race, and does maybe 2-3 track/autocross events a year. i'm not here to advertise the g35 or anything but having a more mature car that doesnt have a boy-racer stigma sure makes me enjoy it more. long story short, i barely miss my old dream cars.

the current teg i have is strictly for MPG and secondary transportation. yeah its SLIGHTLY modded but performance was its bone stock.
that is pretty true... i got a teggy right now im considering on swap/ls-v but i dont race or do anything so its kinda pointless lol. some good advice over here
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im in a similar spot, can't make up my mind to save my life-
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would love to have a stock EVO as a DD and keep my EK as a "project"
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not too sure of the theft rate of the STI, but I sure wouldnt feel safe driving and parking a 99-00 SI anywhere, specially modded.