Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Check engine, VTM Lights and dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Check engine, VTM Lights and dead battery

Bkgd: Had 100K ext. warrenty on my 04 Pilot, did all mainteince at same dealership, good shop. At 95 K they switched owners, fired all the advisors but one and service now SUCKS.
2 weeks ago I hit the brakes, antilock worked and I avoided an accident. Check engine and vtm 4 light popped on. Waited 2 days as everything was running fine. Vtm went off then check engine a day later. On at next fuel fill up, on then off days later. 4 days ago I went to start the car (no lights had been seen for days)and the oil pressure light went on and it struggled to start. (Old school pumping the gas pedal worked). Went to store, struggled to start again. Talked to tech on phone and while trying to talk and start car at home, the tell tale ticking of a dead battery was heard. Made appointment as battery is 1 yr old w honda and under warranty. Went to start in the 40 degree garage and it started right up. And again. Drove to Honda, asked them to also give me the codes. 7 hours later I was told the battery was completely dead and they replaced it and had cleared the voltage codes. Drove home. Next day, 20 miles into thanksgiving drive, check engine and vtm 4 lights popped on again. In looking online, I see "parasitic draw" as a possible cause, EGR, but its not having any performance issues that can be heard or felt on hard acceleration. Coil pack, but again no performance issues. Ideas? Help? Way to diagnose? We have twins on the way and waiting for a tow truck not to mention the $ is not an option. Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine, VTM Lights and dead battery

Currently at 111,000 miles
Old 11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Off to Auto zone to run codes.. ICA maybe??
Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto zone code says cylinder # 1 and #4 misfire... which anyone would be able to tell when listening right?? No performance issues but he mentioned that the on and off might just be the computer malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. Another mentioned getting the alternator tested.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

egr port clogging on those vehicles is very common also so is valve lash and your at the mileage now where you need to have the plugs replaced, so its time to do those three things most of the time there is no additional labor to do the egr port cleaning if you have the valves adjusted at the same time since the upper plenum has to come off anyways.

VTM system will throw code 60-1 at times when the PCM detects a malfunction just a generic code nothing wrong with the VTM system.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The plugs were replaced at the 100K but not the wires..at least it wasn't listed. Alternator, regulator and battery tested at Autozone. All they could tell me was that it "passed". If the VTM light is on but Autozone is not getting a code for it, IS it just the computer? The light coming on randomly could still be a clogged EGR? Wouldn't there be ANY symptoms of the engine not running smoothly? I guess I will be taking the Pilot to a private shop that has all my old service advisors and 20yr honda Tech and not the dealership. What should I ask for specifically as I don't have the time (toddler in tow 24/7) to keep coming back?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

generic scan tools can not check the VTM system the light is on because of the PGM system light

diagnose the MIL for the PGM system and the VTM light will go away

i'm guessing you have a misfire issue which will go back to my previous post of valve adjustment and clean the egr ports...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have it towed back to dealership that said it was only a battery issue, make them come out of pocket for not fixing it the first time. do your best to keep bitching and eventually they will give in. thats how honda takes care of the customer..
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Solution? Took to the shop that did my 100K service as they are kinder. Found all the same crap we were looking at. Told me it was a misfire, I said I don't want it back until you look at the EGR.. after this they discovered that they put the air intake gasket on upside down and the ports obviously weren't lining up thus restricting the airflow. (face in palm for everyone) They fixed it, rotated my tires per my earlier request, washed the car, filled up my gas tank and apologized profusely. No charge of course. I feel better that its fixed but damn!