Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

What composition are Honda Pilot OEM brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What composition are Honda Pilot OEM brake pads?

Does anyone know what the composition of Honda Pilot OEM brake pads is? I am getting ready to do a complete brake job on my 2004 Pilot (rotors, pads, caliper) and I would like to order the pads from the same place where I am ordering a set of Brembo blank rotors. I'm thinking about getting a set of ceramic pads. But I have to say that I was happy with the stock pads that Honda makes and I have never had a dust problem with them at all, which I really like. So I'm curious about whether they are semi-metallic, ceramic, or whatever?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What composition are Honda Pilot OEM brake pads?

Stick with the OEM honda pads. They stay quiet. Aftermarket pads tend to squeak.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda pads are a organic material.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had good luck with the mid grade pads from Autozone. They are semi-metallic and cost about $80 for a set.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! I figured they were organic but I was just curious.

DCChan: They are very good pads and they are quiet and clean. You're right about that. But this time I chose premium ceramic pads to go with the premium rotors that I got. In fact, this time I bought all the parts from other manufacturers but but only picked top-end parts. I did that because Honda parts were simply too expensive and I could get higher grade parts for the same price or less. I couldn't believe how the price of rebuilt calipers have gone up in the last few years or maybe it's just that they are so expensive for Hondas. I'm going old school like I did decades ago and just rebuilding my calipers. My local Honda dealership wanted about $40 EACH for caliper rebuilding kits. As you know, that just includes the piston seal, boot, retaining ring, the two small boots and some grease. I got virtually the same thing minus the grease for less than $3 each. Honda prices can be insane. Another example, before doing the job, I realized that I didn't have the seal washers for the brake line/caliper connection so I stopped by Honda. They charged $4.50 per washer. And unlike just about every other seal washer that is brass, Honda's are aluminum. So that's $36 for a tiny bag of 8 aluminum washers. It's not just the outrageous price but there's also a principle involved when a company rips you off like that.