Acura MDX / RDX

04 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light

All,

I have a 2004 Odyssey with 98,000 miles on it. Today, right after passing someone on the highway at 60 to 65 mph the "drive" light started flashing.

This tranny shifts crisp in all 4 gears, fluid level is good, no other issues.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

Thanks, in advance!

Jim

P.S. Went to the dealer this afternoon and they told me I need a 4th Gear Pressure Switch. They didn't charge me for that info, which is good.

Anyone know what is involved in replacing this switch? Can a mechanically inclined person do it in their garage? Any special tools needed?

Also, I always by the Haynes manual for my cars but it isn't available yet for the 04 Odyssey...at least everywhere I've looked.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good maintenance manual for the shadetree types??

Thank you!

Last edited by TurbobJim; 02-11-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: New info
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 04 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light

The switch is easy. Just order the part and install it. You'll need a 24mm socket. It's on the bottom side of the transmission closest to the wheel.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 AM
New User

Thanks, Ross 2.0.

I'll try that this weekend.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

If you get stuck shoot me a PM and i'll help you out.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Procedure for replacement:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
4th Clutch Switch.pdf (43.5 KB, 17248 views)
Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
New User

Thanks for the help! Replaced the switch in all of 5 minutes.

What maintenance manual did your instructions come from? That saved me a lot of time because the Dealer gave me the 3rd clutch switch by accident, but I was able to figure it out with the picture and the color of the electrical connector.

Jim
Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TurbobJim
Thanks for the help! Replaced the switch in all of 5 minutes.

What maintenance manual did your instructions come from? That saved me a lot of time because the Dealer gave me the 3rd clutch switch by accident, but I was able to figure it out with the picture and the color of the electrical connector.

Jim
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...218F7U37624UR2

The only service manual you will ever need for your Honda vehicle.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM

you do realize that your tranny has a 100k warranty on it. Sorry but that switch wont fix it. take it to the dealer and let them replace the transmission. trust me i have replaced a lot of these for 3rd and 4th pressure switch failures.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Are you effing serious? You're a pure idiot if you're replacing transmissions for pressure switch failures. That code is RARELY cause by an internal problem.

Last edited by Ross 2.0; 02-18-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Tpyo
Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 AM
New User

The dealer diagnosed the problem and said it was a single code, code 1340, I think?? maybe 1370. Anyway, it was the code for "faulty 4th clutch switch".

Anyway, they told me that a 2004 with the 5sp tranny is not covered by the 100K mile warranty that you are talking about. I specifically pressed him on this issue and made hime get the service manager and owner of the dealer and they all concurred that my tranny is not covered.

Should I call Honda Corporate and press the issue?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Code P1740.

The '04 isn't covered. The warranty extension was 93 months from in-service date or 109,000 miles for '99-01 Odysseys only. Any help with an '02-04 Odyssey is goodwill-only, and good luck getting any sympathy with 98,000 miles unless you've had all of your service done at the dealer. The only '02-03 cars that fell under the settlement were the 3.2TL and 3.2CL.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

TurbobJim, glad the attachment helped.

You should be good to go now. Keep the ATF clean with regular drain and fills and enjoy the van! Lots of transmission paranoia to be found on the internet.

This position from Honda can also apply to your 2004 5-speed tranny as well:

"A/T Shift Complaints? Check Clutch Pressure Switches
NOTE: This condition can affect .98–01 Accords,
.97–01 Preludes, and .98–01 Odysseys.
Shift quality complaints such as harsh or late
upshifts and downshifts don.t always mean you
need to replace the A/T. They.re often caused by
the 2nd and 3rd clutch pressure switch circuits
being open or shorted to ground. To confirm the
problem, connect the PGM Tester, and check if
DTC P1738 (problem in 2nd clutch pressure
switch) or DTC P1739 (problem in 3rd clutch
pressure switch) is set. These two DTCs do not
cause the D4 indicator to blink and do not cause
the MIL to come on." Honda Service News.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by junbb1
you do realize that your tranny has a 100k warranty on it. Sorry but that switch wont fix it. take it to the dealer and let them replace the transmission. trust me i have replaced a lot of these for 3rd and 4th pressure switch failures.
ROFLMAO

Originally Posted by Ross 2.0
Are you effing serious? You're a pure idiot if you're replacing transmissions for pressure switch failures. That code is RARELY cause by an internal problem.
Cosigned and stamped
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Trial User

First, thanks to everyone who provided useful information on this thread. It just helped me solve a similar issue.

Returning from Thanksgiving vacation in my 03 Odyssey that just turned over 90,000 miles, the blinking D started when I hit the highway (with 500+ miles in front of me)! No TCS or CEL. Fluid check showed ATF was full, red with a slight darkening and no burnt smell. It had been 15,000 miles since last ATF drain and fill (at 75k). When the car was turned off, the blinking D went off and did not return until I hit 5th gear (around 60-65 mph). It then stayed on (until car was shut off) regardless of what gear I was in.

Researched the parade of horribles about Honda transmissions and found this site and thread, together with some similar discussion on OdyClub.com. I printed the helpful diagram posted on changing the 4th gear pressure switch, wrote down the parts numbers (also posted) and headed to AutoZone. The OBDII reader showed no error codes. Went to Honda dealer and discussed symptoms, including 4th gear pressure switch concern. Dealer said they could diagnose the problem (apply reader) for $100. I passed on the service and went to parts counter for quote. $80.00 for pressure switch, $4+ for O-ring. I saw the computer's entry for "cost" which showed $37+ for switch and $1+ for O-ring.

Headed to High-Tech Transmission (http://www.high-techtransmission.com) in Doraville, GA (ATL suburb). For no charge they used their more advanced reader and pulled a code P1740! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The shop owner was impressed that I anticipated the code, had the replacement parts number and even a diagram of the work needed. He said he would drain and fill the ATF with Honda ATF-Z1 for $50, order the part from Honda (which he gets 20% discount on), and put it on for his cost +$25 for service. While I could order the parts online for a bit less and then do it myself, I thought the offer was very fair and wanted to give him the business.

Next day he had the parts, did the drain and fill and changed the pressure switch. He noted some "junk" on the end of the plug (he said no metal pieces or anything worrisome) and the darkening color. He recommended a second drain and fill after the test drive. Test drive confirmed the blinking D did not trigger on shifting into overdrive/5th. He only charged $25 for the second drain and fill. Total damage for 2x drain and fill, plus part and service was about $180 (w/ tax). No more blinking D!

Forgot to mention, the Honda Technician (without any review of vehicle) commented that changing a pressure switch may be a temporary fix, but the underlying problem could be a wearing of the clutch that leaves additional space such that the transmission has trouble shifting into overdrive/5th, and that the pressure switch replacement may just buy some time before needing a new transmission. I commented that maybe it would be enough in that instance to replace the 4th gear clutch. He said Honda wouldn't do that but independents would, although, again, it may only buy a little time. I was surprised at how quickly the technician was trying to condition me for a new transmission. Maybe it because they have had so many problems, maybe he just wants to sell an expensive repair, maybe some of both. I shared this with the owner at High-Tech Transmission and he said that if the clutch was worn and not shifting properly, a different code would have come up corresponding to mechanical difficulty (or something like that).

Hope this post is helpful or at least encouraging to someone out there.

PS - I noted a timing belt and water pump on the counter at the transmission and asked if they do that work, too. Owner said they did when requested for transmission customers. That is my next maintenance item - owner's manual says earlier of 7 years or 105k miles. I am at 8 years next month, but only 90k miles. May do that soon. His quote was $650 to replace timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, and new water pump.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NDNV
Lots of transmission paranoia to be found on the internet.
for good reason, dont act like honda does not have a known transmission issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Trial User

Does anyone have part numbers? I think it's 28810-P7W-004. Dealer said they usually replace 28600-P7W003. Any help would be great.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: 04 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light

Love this posting! My wife just called me about the flashing drive light that turned on while she was on the freeway. Called Honda about the transmission recall I knew of, my 03 checked out to already having the recall work done. Called Honda of Seattle; they actually told me to go to Auto Zone for a code check. Guess I'm headed there after work to see if what they say.

But I'm guessing the thread will be the best help I get for the price I can afford.

Thanks to all the HTers that helped out here.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My son was driving the van (2004) today and got the flashing D. He pulled over and turned off and restarted the van and the D4 flashing did not return.

Tranny fluid was changed at Honda dealer last month. All shifts are smooth - nothing seems out of the ordinary. I suspect faulty switch. Here's my question: we're getting ready to leave on trip involving ~1400 miles of driving. If it's the switch (I'll go to autozone to check for code) can I keep driving without damaging anything or do I really need to repair before I go?... not sure I can pull that off.

Thanks for any help on this - this forum is really excellent. After hours of searching it was the only productive source of info that suggested anything other than a complete transmission replacement would be needed.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually found this on other forums also but i own a 05 pilot just had the same problem. i fixed it myself, very easy to do. in total it cost me about $80 including doing a drain and fill on tranny. but thats $80 versus the possible down the road cost of $3000 for a new tranny from honda. consider the switch a maintenance. just like any other, not maintaned can be more costly in the end.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Fiscalista
First, thanks to everyone who provided useful information on this thread. It just helped me solve a similar issue.

Returning from Thanksgiving vacation in my 03 Odyssey that just turned over 90,000 miles, the blinking D started when I hit the highway (with 500+ miles in front of me)! No TCS or CEL. Fluid check showed ATF was full, red with a slight darkening and no burnt smell. It had been 15,000 miles since last ATF drain and fill (at 75k). When the car was turned off, the blinking D went off and did not return until I hit 5th gear (around 60-65 mph). It then stayed on (until car was shut off) regardless of what gear I was in.

Researched the parade of horribles about Honda transmissions and found this site and thread, together with some similar discussion on OdyClub.com. I printed the helpful diagram posted on changing the 4th gear pressure switch, wrote down the parts numbers (also posted) and headed to AutoZone. The OBDII reader showed no error codes. Went to Honda dealer and discussed symptoms, including 4th gear pressure switch concern. Dealer said they could diagnose the problem (apply reader) for $100. I passed on the service and went to parts counter for quote. $80.00 for pressure switch, $4+ for O-ring. I saw the computer's entry for "cost" which showed $37+ for switch and $1+ for O-ring.

Headed to High-Tech Transmission (http://www.high-techtransmission.com) in Doraville, GA (ATL suburb). For no charge they used their more advanced reader and pulled a code P1740! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. The shop owner was impressed that I anticipated the code, had the replacement parts number and even a diagram of the work needed. He said he would drain and fill the ATF with Honda ATF-Z1 for $50, order the part from Honda (which he gets 20% discount on), and put it on for his cost +$25 for service. While I could order the parts online for a bit less and then do it myself, I thought the offer was very fair and wanted to give him the business.

Next day he had the parts, did the drain and fill and changed the pressure switch. He noted some "junk" on the end of the plug (he said no metal pieces or anything worrisome) and the darkening color. He recommended a second drain and fill after the test drive. Test drive confirmed the blinking D did not trigger on shifting into overdrive/5th. He only charged $25 for the second drain and fill. Total damage for 2x drain and fill, plus part and service was about $180 (w/ tax). No more blinking D!

Forgot to mention, the Honda Technician (without any review of vehicle) commented that changing a pressure switch may be a temporary fix, but the underlying problem could be a wearing of the clutch that leaves additional space such that the transmission has trouble shifting into overdrive/5th, and that the pressure switch replacement may just buy some time before needing a new transmission. I commented that maybe it would be enough in that instance to replace the 4th gear clutch. He said Honda wouldn't do that but independents would, although, again, it may only buy a little time. I was surprised at how quickly the technician was trying to condition me for a new transmission. Maybe it because they have had so many problems, maybe he just wants to sell an expensive repair, maybe some of both. I shared this with the owner at High-Tech Transmission and he said that if the clutch was worn and not shifting properly, a different code would have come up corresponding to mechanical difficulty (or something like that).

Hope this post is helpful or at least encouraging to someone out there.

PS - I noted a timing belt and water pump on the counter at the transmission and asked if they do that work, too. Owner said they did when requested for transmission customers. That is my next maintenance item - owner's manual says earlier of 7 years or 105k miles. I am at 8 years next month, but only 90k miles. May do that soon. His quote was $650 to replace timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, and new water pump.
My experience was quite similar, actually almost identical:
- I have a 03 Odyssey. D light started flashing when driving on a highway about a month ago. When the engine was started again there was no flashing until I got on a highway again.
- After reading some stuff on the internet, including this thread, I went to Autozone and their scan didn't return any codes
- I went to a local transmission shop, and their scan didn't find any codes either, but I asked them if they had a "more advanced reader" (I based my request on what I read in your post), so they scanned it again with the new reader ... and got P1740 for a faulty 4th gear pressure switch
- They changed the switch and transmission fluid (which was due anyway) for ~$200.
- I've had no problems with flashing D light since
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Trial User

As an owner of a '96 Odyssey 5 door I just happened on the same problem with the D4 flashing, but, this started when I went to start the van. The dash lights weirded out, showing battery, check engine, all doors open, Park and D4 at the same time. The van won't start. Is this a neutral safety switch issue?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Trial User

Default 02 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light

Does the same rules apply as the '04 for the '02? Is it the 4th Clutch Transmission Pressure Switch Replacement? Van seems to run the same...no dragging.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Trial User

Does anyone still answer on this thread. I am currently have the same flashing Drive light on dash but my transmission seems to be stuck in 3rd. It will go to park and reverse and function but sluggish and the drive light remains to flash unless turned off.
The problem remains now even after turning off and on.
checked the oil and it is red(thin) but no burnt smell at all. Can anyone offer advise?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you say sluggish, did you mean the shifter itself felt sluggish or the drive train feel sluggish?

Quick Reply: 04 Odyssey Flashing Drive Light