Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

New here-98 CRV brake problems-can someone point me in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here-98 CRV brake problems-can someone point me in the right direction?

Hi everyone. Im new to the site. I have a 1998 CRV all wheel drive automatic. I was hoping that someone here could tell me where to start with my brake problems. This may be kinda long so get ready. Okay, the abs light came on a couple months ago accompanied by the abs itself acting up on dry pavement. I didn't have the money to have it looked at so I pulled the fuse and kept on going. Later the brake petal got really low and spongy so I took it in to my friends shop. They said that by replacing the rear shoes and hardware + adjustment it would bring my pedal back up. I told them to leave the abs alone if they could help it. They did the work and the pedal got a little better. The other day I took my wife and son to the zoo. (my wife is the daily driver of this car) I got in and noticed that I could bottom out the brake pedal but they were still stopping the car solidly. Now here's the interesting part. The pedal wont "pump up" I can "pump" all day and the pedal stays right where I started. I called the shop and they said it could just be that I need pads. Im not sure about that. The fluid level isn't to the top. There isn't any moisture around the master cyl. I noticed there is a (vaccum?) hose going from the master cyl to the intake. this hose is a little spongy. could this be hindering the system? is it vacuum assist and need a good hose to help the pedal. The idle changes a little when I try pumping the brakes. That's strange to me too. I am mechanically inclined but I don't know a thing about ABS. I haven't had many Hondas either. Can the pedal be brought back up without replacing ABS parts? I don't like ABS per-say I like to control my own stops. Does this sound like something someone else here has seen/heard? Can you point me where to start and what to check first. Ill go out there in a while and check the pads but I think there is something else to this problem besides low pads. Thanks in advance for any help y'all throw my way as I am at a loss and don't want to throw money at the problem before I have an idea what it is.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Re: New here-98 CRV brake problems-can someone point me in the right direction? (mac98crv)

Well I see that nobody here has much expertise or wants to share their knowledge of brakes on CRVs. I frequent a similar site for another car and I guess Ihave been spoiled there. I would have had 10 responses there by now. Well, hopefully someone can still help me out. I looked at the pads this morning and it looks like they are almost done. Does the brake pedal usually drop considerably when the pads are almost gone? ANYBODY?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New here-98 CRV brake problems-can someone point me in the right direction? (mac98crv)

not many people read in the crv forum..the crv's brakes are exactly like a civic and integra..try your post there...most 94-01 integras were abs models, i'm sure you can get help there.

to be more specific a 97+ crv is just a 96-00 civic with a big body and happens to be awd.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you might need a new Brake Booster/Master Cylinder.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Re: New here-98 CRV brake problems-can someone point me in the right direction? (EL Vap133)

If that were the case wouldn't I have to pump them. Like I said in the OP the brakes are solid at the bottom. Pumping doesnt bring the pedal up at all. Please correct me if Im wrong but I thought if your master cyl was going bad it would act like there was air in the lines. I know the pads are almost non-existant and I had the rotors turned last year. Ill drop new pads and rotors in it next week (needs them anyways) and if that doesnt do it then Ill go with the master cyl.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:41 PM

If you try pumping the pedal with the key off, engine off..after a few pumps you should have a solid pedal. Now, once its solid push down on it with a steady force for about 10 seconds, it the pedal sinks A. your master cylinder is bad, even though you dont see moisture it could be leaking into the booster. B. You have a leak somewhere. Check all lines, and if you have rear drums take them off and check out the wheel cylinders for leaks also..

After you replace your pads, if you still have a sinking pedal its most likely your master cylinder...When the booster goes bad you get a hard pedal, master cylinder spongy, soft pedal.. I would replace them both. GL