Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)

So my wife and I had our second kid July 3rd, and since then we discovered how CRAP a 2011 Fit was for a rear facing car seat with someone trying to sit in the front seat in front of it.

...so we sold the Fit, and I began searching for a first-gen CR-V manual. After seeing numerous "clean, mint, great running" [b]DUMPSTERS[B] I decided a first-gen CR-V would not be be any sort of an upgrade over our current 1990 Civic wagon and 2005 Element as far as our kids are concerned.

So I turned my attention to the first-gen Odyssey. I used to manage a Honda-only repair shop, and worked in the Honda service industry for 12 years, so I'm familiar with the various Honda/Acura models and all of their mechanical greatness, and shortcomings.

First-gen Oddyseys have always been my favorite Odysseys. Super reliable drivetrain, lightweight, drives like a car, and now crazy affordable.

So I searched the entire southeast, and found a MINT 1998 Odyssey LX with the middle 50/50 split fold bench seat, which seats a total of 7 passengers. It has the one year only F23A7 2.3L VTEC engine, not the same garbage 4 cylinder Accord tranny found in the 1998 Accord, and this particular example is just crazy nice.

115K miles, original body panels, clean/shiny paint, clean grey interior, brand new belts, water pump, seals, gaskets, hoses, radiator, front rotors, pads, Accord LX V6 wheel covers, thermostat/gasket, fluids, etc. - all genuine Honda parts (except radiator). Owner works at a Honda dealer in parts, is an enthusiast, etc.

Check it:

So I took a one-way flight 450 miles away to Orlando, FLA to buy it, and then drove it home.

A/C is meat locker status. Drives perfectly, rides amazingly well, and interior is near mint. Seller even threw in a rare RA1 JDM front lip.

Current plans are to get rid of the OEM cassette deck and get something with an aux input, better speakers, and longer term plans are possibly lowering on Tein S-Tech springs, new KYB shocks (although it ride sooooo god now albeit a touch floaty) and some OEM alloy wheels - have not figured out which ones yet.

For now though we're just enjoying having the extra space. Our 4 year old son loves riding in the third row seat. He actually ran up and hugged the Odyssey when he thought nobody was looking.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)

I really love my Odyssey as well. I just wish I didn't have to get rid of it. (3 cars is too many for me, at the moment. I need a truck to haul a car trailer.)

You found one that's in fantastic condition as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mint find, that is in great shape. Much better than the tranny blowing 2nd gens. Enjoy it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find and congrats on the addition to the fam I had to sell mine and miss it dearly. If u need the Hayes book I got it in PDF
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Former Moderator

So I took the Ody to my old shop yesterday to put it up in the air and inspect it, and to balance the tires.

It is UNREAL how mint this thing really is overall.

ZERO rust.
ZERO leaks.
ZERO indications of wrecks/repairs.
ZERO worn bushings.

The only thing I found in need (other than a wheel/tire balance) was that the rear brake pads were a few mm from indicators, so I replaced those. Caliper pins were nice and free, and were greased with what looks like Honda silicon grease as opposed to high temp wheel bering grease.

The guys at the shop were dumbfounded as to how freakishly clean the van is outside, inside, and underneath.

I'll be getting some blind nuts and shouldered bolts/OEM front lip hardware soon, and then I'll be mounting the freshly repainted (Duplicolor trim paint, black) JDM RA1 front lip.

I honestly expected the suspension to be a little worn, or for it to ride floaty and/or need shocks, but this is not the case. It's hard to justify swapping it out in favor of new stuff like shocks/lowering springs right now.

Originally Posted by evil_ryu
Nice find and congrats on the addition to the fam I had to sell mine and miss it dearly. If u need the Hayes book I got it in PDF
Thanks man. I'll let you know. Ad clean as it is and as mechanically sound as it is I'm hoping I won't need to reference any repair manuals soon LOL.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That really looks fresh! I wonder what's the market price for mint condition 1st gen like yours?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by jologs
That really looks fresh! I wonder what's the market price for mint condition 1st gen like yours?
Unless it's a freak old lady driven, garage kept example with under 20k miles I just cannot see another one being any more mint than this one, and the seller was asking $4,300.00 for it. I paid $4,000.00.

It literally needs nothing, and after my buddy buffs it, and we do a total REAL interior clean on it, it's going to be like having a new van, for real.

I'd have paid $6,000.00 had I seen it in person locally, if that was the asking price, and had I still had that kind of cash budgeted for a car at the time.

Ad it turns out though, this one I got was THE most expensive listed first gen Ody across 5 southern states I browsed on Craigslist. I've seen them listed as cheaply as $2,000.00 for "clean" ones that "run great.".

The fact that a nice Accord euro R swap drops right in is an added bonus should I ever decide to upgrade.

BTW:

People fork over upwards of $6,500.00 every day for busted *** first gen Pilots, and the first gen Ody offers possibly more seating, and with a MUCH more reliable 4 cylinder drive train than that garbage assed V6 glass tranny. Might not be as hip as the SUV image-wise, but I don't care...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean van! I picked up a 97 ody light blue ex with 140k miles on it for $2500 last month. I love the captain chairs and how it hugs the road. Van had every maintainence record from day 1 and came with new tires etc... Only con is it has some slight rust on 1 side (nebraska winters) I have some little odds and ends I have added but glad to see other people rocking these! S techs come in next month!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very very nice. That thing is just begging for a lip.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
So my wife and I had our second kid July 3rd, and since then we discovered how CRAP a 2011 Fit was for a rear facing car seat with someone trying to sit in the front seat in front of it.
Yep. Rear facing seat + passenger does not make for a comfortable ride in a Fit. I sold mine and got a '12 Civic Sedan and there was waaay more room for this setup.

Were those 1st gen Odyssey's made in Japan? If they are anything like the 1st gen CRV vs 2nd gen CRV, the first gen Japanese CRVs are vastly superior to the 2nd gen (made in USA) versions.

Then again, everything Honda did in the late 90's was quality.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice ride. If you don't mind, me asking, what was the seller asking for it/what did you get it for?

I'm looking for the same vehicle as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2

...so we sold the Fit, and I began searching for a first-gen CR-V manual. After seeing numerous "clean, mint, great running" [b]DUMPSTERS[B] I decided a first-gen CR-V would not be be any sort of an upgrade over our current 1990 Civic wagon and 2005 Element as far as our kids are concerned.

So I turned my attention to the first-gen Odyssey. I used to manage a Honda-only repair shop, and worked in the Honda service industry for 12 years, so I'm familiar with the various Honda/Acura models and all of their mechanical greatness, and shortcomings.

First-gen Oddyseys have always been my favorite Odysseys. Super reliable drivetrain, lightweight, drives like a car, and now crazy affordable.

So I searched the entire southeast, and found a MINT 1998 Odyssey LX with the middle 50/50 split fold bench seat, which seats a total of 7 passengers. It has the one year only F23A7 2.3L VTEC engine, not the same garbage 4 cylinder Accord tranny found in the 1998 Accord, and this particular example is just crazy nice.

115K miles, original body panels, clean/shiny paint, clean grey interior, brand new belts, water pump, seals, gaskets, hoses, radiator, front rotors, pads, Accord LX V6 wheel covers, thermostat/gasket, fluids, etc. - all genuine Honda parts (except radiator). Owner works at a Honda dealer in parts, is an enthusiast, etc.

Check it:

So I took a one-way flight 450 miles away to Orlando, FLA to buy it, and then drove it home.

A/C is meat locker status. Drives perfectly, rides amazingly well, and interior is near mint. Seller even threw in a rare RA1 JDM front lip.

Current plans are to get rid of the OEM cassette deck and get something with an aux input, better speakers, and longer term plans are possibly lowering on Tein S-Tech springs, new KYB shocks (although it ride sooooo god now albeit a touch floaty) and some OEM alloy wheels - have not figured out which ones yet.

For now though we're just enjoying having the extra space. Our 4 year old son loves riding in the third row seat. He actually ran up and hugged the Odyssey when he thought nobody was looking.

Very nice car you got lucky.. Just wondering I'm looking for the middle 50/50 split fold bench seat, which then seats a total of 7 passengers. Do you happen to know how I could go about getting one.?

I have a 1997 Honda Odyssey with 92,000 miles I love it. I have added a stereo DVD/Kenwood with nav and subwoofer mircophone for hands free. DVD screens in back head rest for the kids. Extra speakers in the very back too.
I'm the mom at my kids school that cranks the music too loud. I spend so much time in my car I figured why not the car is fully paid for and runs great for what I need. I do like your 98 that is one sweet car.
Any help on finding the 50/50 split fold bench seat would be helpful.
Plus can someone list out what is involved in 90,000 mile service check up.

I have been checking with several honda dealers and each seem to have different list on what is needed. any help there too please list out thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to admit, its looking pretty nice!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is pretty nice, but help me understand why buy if you have a wagovan and an element already?

Are you planning on selling one of them?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Begging to be modded!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CCBear
Very nice car you got lucky.. Just wondering I'm looking for the middle 50/50 split fold bench seat, which then seats a total of 7 passengers. Do you happen to know how I could go about getting one.?

I have a 1997 Honda Odyssey with 92,000 miles I love it. I have added a stereo DVD/Kenwood with nav and subwoofer mircophone for hands free. DVD screens in back head rest for the kids. Extra speakers in the very back too.
I'm the mom at my kids school that cranks the music too loud. I spend so much time in my car I figured why not the car is fully paid for and runs great for what I need. I do like your 98 that is one sweet car.
Any help on finding the 50/50 split fold bench seat would be helpful.
Plus can someone list out what is involved in 90,000 mile service check up.

I have been checking with several honda dealers and each seem to have different list on what is needed. any help there too please list out thanks
the only thing you have do is the timing belt and waterpump.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice find, that is the cleanest Gen-1 I have seen in awhile.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

super clean , congrats....

I loved my first gen Odyssey....
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jesus that thing is flawless.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice finf....it looks great
Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, crazy find! how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad Ricky's Odyssey went to good hands!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Was doing a search on 1998 Odysseys and found this thread. I found a mint one last week and agreed to meet the seller to look at his white 1998 Odyssey. The morning I was to look at it I contacted the seller to let him know I was on the way only to be told he had sold it the day before. I hate craigslist sellers as this has happened to me a few times where seller and I agree that I will buy item and pick up at certain time and place only for seller to not answer calls or tell me they sold it a day or two earlier.

Anyways, the white 1998 I found sold for $4200 and was mint like the OP's. 140,000 miles or so and well taken care of. I've been looking for a mint 1998 white Odyssey for the past few years.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Former Moderator

So 100K miles later, one automatic trans swap later, and I've still got this thing. Did all the usual timing belt, water pump, seals, thermostat, rear main seal, etc. this time last year when the transmission swap was done. So the replacement transmission was a reman unit, and since I worked in the business long enough I knew I was borrowing time on it. It isn't bad yet, but has a slight flare in the third gear shift, and has never really pulled right when you first step on the gas.

So the next step is a manual/5-speed swap. A local Honda road racing legend who has a 1998 Odyssey recently did his manual swap, so I'll be enlisting his help on this project. I've been talking to the H/F tranny guru, Bense, and I'll probably pick up a custom-geared unit from him in January.

Meanwhile LOWERING SPRINGS ARE STILL IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. I found some RS-R down springs on Ebay, but they want $170.00 for the springs (that's great, actually) but $180.00 for shipping! ****!!!

Here's a pic of how it currently sits, on 2016 Civic LX 16'' steelies, and with trim-painted bumper guards to match the side moldings. Also did the front grille in trim paint to knock down the fake chrome look:

Old 11-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I was hoping you'd sell it...to me.

Post the progress of the swap. Is it Eversley that did the swap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1998 Odyssey 7 Hauler (Pretty MINT Find)