Acura MDX / RDX

Auto door lock engaging inappropriately

Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto door lock engaging inappropriately

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L RTS
Miles: 147,XXX

December 2015: Had remote start professionally installed (Viper 4105V with Flashlogic FLCAN interface), everything worked beautifully.
Feb 2016: Front passenger door lock actuator malfunctioning - not locking (therefore causing other lock-related issues: Horn not honking on 2nd press of lock button, lights not flashing when lock button pressed, 9mph lock engaging over & over again each time 9mph was exceeded).
I replaced the actuator which fixed the above issues.

Several months later, the 9mph auto-lock function engaging inappropriately returned, along with the horn not honking on 2nd push of lock button. In addition, the remote start does not work properly.

The remote starter will attempt to start the vehicle but then immediately shuts off without starting the vehicle. According to the pro's I've spoken with (local & Crutchfield), the Viper remote starter has a safety feature which prevents the remote start from engaging whenever a "fault" message is received via the Odyssey's onboard computer.
What puzzles me is: All the locks are working normally and properly.
It seems to me the "fault" the Viper system is receiving is the message that all the doors aren't locked (which would also explain the 9mph auto-lock engaging inappropriately, and the absence of the horn chirp upon the 2nd press of the lock button).

Therefore, the only thing I can think of that might cause this issue despite the locks all working properly lies with an unknown (and maybe non-existent?) sensor that detects whether or not the doors are actually locked. IS THERE A sensor like this? Where should I start searching for issues? My first guess is to take apart the passenger-side door panel to make sure the actuator is still plugged-in properly(?).

I'm hoping someone on here has some real in-depth technical knowledge of this system and can shed some light on the logic & mechanics of the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto door lock engaging inappropriately

For reference: I have found the following information on the electrical troubleshooting manual:

Door Locks (remote transmitter operation)
The doors can be locked or unlocked from the remote transmitter. The receiver antenna for keyless entry is located in the power window master switch. All lock and unlock commands from the remote transmitter are communicated across the multiplex communication line to the MICU located in the driver’s under-dash fuse/relay box.
According to the request, the MICU directly operates the power supply and the grounding signals to the reversible electric door lock motors for lock and unlock modes. Pressing the unlock button once will unlock the driver’s door. Pressing the unlock button a second time will unlock all the doors. This is a multiplex controlled response. Pressing the lock button of the remote transmitter will lock all the doors, and set the security system.
Security
The security system is incorporated within the power door locks. When the vehicle is locked with the door key, door lock switch, or the remote transmitter, the security system is activated. The system will completely set 15 seconds after the hood, doors, and tailgate are closed. The security system monitors the following signals:
  • Battery voltage
  • Door lock **** switches
  • Door switches
  • Ignition key switch
  • Audio unit connection
  • Security hood switch (EX, EX-L, Touring)
  • Tailgate lock **** switch (EX; ’08: EX-L)
From this, I can infer there are sensors at each point that communicate more than just lights on/off (for the doors, anyway)...
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto door lock engaging inappropriately

Anyone know?

Also - do the door jamb sensor assemblies have multiple sensors? In other words, in addition to the indicator on the dash cluster notifying the driver which door is open, is there another sensor that communicates separately with the onboard computer?