Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Acura RDX transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura RDX transmission problems

So today I started driving my RDX Tech. Package I got it new in 2007 and it has been fine and then this morning it just randomly started driving like ****. When i slow down for a stop sign or a light the car downshifts and as soon as i touch the gas it jerks you against the seat(not from the turbo). When I am completely stopped I will press the gas and the car wont move for a few seconds and then it jerks like its about to stall and throws you against the seat. The jerking feeling is like someone learning stick shift about to stall and then puts his foot down on the gas to prevent the car from stalling while u get whip lashed back and fourth across the seat... Does anyone know what the specific problem is or even if it may possibly be the computer?
Thank you for your help!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Acura RDX transmission problems

As with all auto trans problems in scenarios like this where we cannot see the tranny, the first thing to do is of course check proper fluid level, if its ok, then you have to spend some real money on a proper fluid flush and add some HONDA tranny additive, so this means to leave the fluid level a little low and top it off with the OEM additive. If good fluid and additive does not do the trick then seek professional help.

Have you hooked a scanner up to see if there are any pending codes. It could be an engine problem such as a bad throttle position sensor, a bad temp sensor, etc. Do a visual inspection for leaks into a wire harness / connector, loose connectors, broken wires around the tranny area. Did you turn off the OD and try it again.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the fluid level it was fine, warranty is covering this, the trans fluid tho is orange not pink... also the car after it is off makes a weird sound like water on a hot pan... There is also no engine light on like my TL had but my TL was absolutely screwed it was not under warranty and my car would not shift from 2nd to 3rd til about 25 seconds bouncing around 4900 and 5300 Rpms... but my trans fluid was black with metal scraps...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great, let us know what they find at the stealership and dont let them blame you for this misfortune, call Honda America if they give you any grief.

Does the tranny fluid run into the radiator like most cars for cooling. If so what color is your antifreeze and if that was to be mixed with red tranny fluid, what color would the two make? Or is your new tranny fluid supposed to be orange?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my car back today they said the transmission was fine and that it was just the battery...
Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for letting us know what it was, I guess I have heard of weak batteries causing issues like this, the computer has a low tolerance for anything below a good charged battery.