Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2003 CRV AC quit suddenly

Old 07-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly

This is our second CRV up to now it has been virtually trouble free recently passing 100K
I have read that this is a common problem.
Would like to try to identify what is exactly wrong any simple checks I can make?
It appear that the compressor is not engaging, there seems to be no difference when the A/C is switched on or off, I don't see a fuse marked specifically for the A/C compressor how is it fused?
If the compressor implodes does it always require replacement of EVERYTHING?
Never had a car that totalled out the AC system with a compressor failure before.
What is the experience of getting Honda to pay or help out with the repair.
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (Steve-o-)

what your referring to is black death. while the car is running and a/c is on you need to check if the coil is getting power. simply un plug the compressor and check the harness side for power. if you do have power then there is a very good chance you have black death. we usually replace everything excep the solid aluminum lines and the evaporator. on those cars the dryer is part of the condensor so it has to be replaced along with the expansion valve and the compressor and all rubber lines. if the clutch and coil look ok you could reuse them but i would just replace it if it was my car. very costly repair. it runs usually 8-10 hours of cp labor. plus parts. my rec to you would be to take it back to where you bought it new if you did buy it new, and ask honda to help you out if they can
Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (northkai3)

The reply you got appears to be a copy of another reply in another post. This should tell you how common the problem is. Honda is amazingly generous when it comes to helping people out with this problem. They won't warranty the whole thing forever but they have been known to help people out. Contact your dealer. Pay for diagnostic. If it needs a new system, politely ask for assitance from Honda. They are a great car company and care about their customers and might lend a hand in the hopes of you buying another honda when the time comes.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (phootbag)

Well I guess it pays to do your homework...
It seems that once I stated that I researched the problem on the internet and that it appears to be a common issue the tone changed. The service manager acknowledged that it was a common problem and that Honda had participated in the repair but he did have reservations about our situation as it was over 100K.

Dealer called today and stated Honda would pay for 25% of the repair the dealer quoted me $896.00 as my cost.
Honestly with just over 100K I wasn't expecting much, I feel the cost is reasonable considering what they have to do. We are very satisfied with the car the dealer did a complete check of our and found it to be in excellent condition.
Thanks for your reply... We pick the car up tomorrow afternoon
Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (northkai3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by northkai3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> we usually replace everything excep the solid aluminum lines and the evaporator. on those cars the dryer is part of the condensor so it has to be replaced </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your overcharging. The condensor has a filter on the side of it which only needs to be changed. That, the compressor, coil, and clutch is all that needs to be done. Any more than that is not needed and excessive.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (Steve-o-)

yes this is a common problem on 02-07 crv's. i myself have this problem. i checked everything, both fuses all the a/c relays then i resorted to jumping the clutch myself. it still didn't turn on.

system was full of freon
a/c button lights up
condensor fan comes on

only thing that doesnt come on is the compressor.

going to have to put in a new compressor and see what happens. shouldnt be too hard i hope.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 CRV AC quit suddenly (nsxmatt)

It is necessary to replace every component that holds refrigerant. Contamination from the failed compressor spreads to every square milimeter of the system. Go ahead, put a new compressor in. It may last forever but will most likely fail soon. Some people claim they can flush the lines. I say don't. It only takes one small particle to ruin the new parts. Not worth it.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phootbag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is necessary to replace every component that holds refrigerant. Contamination from the failed compressor spreads to every square milimeter of the system. Go ahead, put a new compressor in. It may last forever but will most likely fail soon. Some people claim they can flush the lines. I say don't. It only takes one small particle to ruin the new parts. Not worth it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda doesn't reccomend replacing all that, and in fact won't pay to have that done. I guess if you have a cash ticket customer you want to crack for more than they need, go right ahead but all that work is not needed.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phootbag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is necessary to replace every component that holds refrigerant. Contamination from the failed compressor spreads to every square milimeter of the system. Go ahead, put a new compressor in. It may last forever but will most likely fail soon. Some people claim they can flush the lines. I say don't. It only takes one small particle to ruin the new parts. Not worth it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well think about it. in my case its just the clutch not clicking on. doesnt really mean the internals of the compressor is messed up. it means there is something electrical wrong here.