Notices
Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming

Montana Crap Box Challenge.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Montana Crap Box Challenge.

Some time this fall.... MAYBE. and the odds of actually organizing this and making it happen are CRAZY slim... BUT...

Over that last few hours, we've updated the name to "The Montana Power Tour". Sounds WAY more cool.

I don't even KNOW if this is possible. We've been talking about doing a "Top Gear" style thing where we take 3-4 local dudes each with a team, throw $2 grand or less each at a shitty car, and then do a series of challenges. and make a fun weekend of it. Maybe points deducted for trying to hard with your build. But extra points for painting it to look like a race car, numbers, logos, etc.

Could also allow dudes to tag along in nice stuff to compete. The more stickered up cars taking up hotel parking lots and restaurants, the better!

take 3-4 weeks to get your car ready, $2 grand max including the car, no free parts, you get the idea. We film small segments about each build to build interest. If you run a rock stock subaru wagon... not allowed. have to make an effort to modify some kind of crappy car. Should look kinda like a race car (think cannonball run or gumball rally with a pinch of NASCAR or grand-am, trans-am). maybe an award for best effort on a $100 paint job as well. Stuff like that. It's got to be a shitty car, we all know what those are and what they entail.

a) First challenge, mileage and comfort, take Highway 2 across to the park and hit the going to the sun highway. It's VERY pretty up in there in the mountains, great video opportunitys. points to be awarded for best fuel economy, etc. Could also start in Billings, or Great falls, nice twisties down there and some mountain roads too. 250-400 miles, end up in the hotel parking lot where the road or drag event is the next day. Ready for an early start. After a good meal with lot's of BBQ, beverages and bench racing!

b) camp out (hotel, whatever) perhaps in Whitefish, Kalispell, Helena (somewhere). film some segments. Very picturesque and a nice place. maybe do and film an E-brake parallel parking challenge that night. (between cones)

c) drive on down to wherever there is some SCCA stuff going on in Helena, Great falls, Billings, etc, and do that on either saturday or sunday. Points awarded based on finish time.

d) next day, either saturday or sunday, hit the drag strip at either Billings, Malta, Anaconda. Points awarded on finish

e) drive your junk home, points if you make it home. Perhaps, no changing tires and wheels, you run on what you drove on?

I've got my triple car hauler for a sag vehicle, and I'm sure each team would maybe have it's own sag wagon for crew and posse. Need some walkie talkies for communication, and I've already got that ironed out pretty cheaply.

It's not that this is any kind of actual race or anything, it's the opportunity to do something off the wall and have a lot of fun, and be a part of something. I'd suggest getting stickers made, and maybe we could even find a sponsor for fun. Massive numbers on the doors like the cannonball or etc.

We have 4 guys locally that might consider it
1) My guys, probably EG hatch maybe stuff a stock B18b in it (read that as cheap), roll bar, race seats, make a crappy hood scoop and wing out of plywood, (fun stuff).
2) Nate's crew, got a Ford Fiesta that they've done some work to, and actually got it to run with motorcycle carbs (I give him 40 miles before it explodes)
3) Some other dude he knows with a VW fox.
4) our other buddy Matt "the package". He's got an old V8 olds omega.

Just spit ballin and talkin out my *** on this. We just thought it sounded fun.

Last edited by vectorsolid; 04-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Montana Crap Box Challenge.

sounds like fun, and I wish!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in!

edit; out

Last edited by johnjw; 02-01-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this could be a good time! Has me intrigued..Might have to see if could find a car and group interested in doing this.. In for more details and firm dates etc!!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid to end of September, no real date planning on our part, it's a weekend where there is Autocross in Helena, and drag racing in Billings. The events will already be going on, just a matter of us all "showing up" and having fun. But I'll iron it out all solid here in a few weeks. I'll start a forum for it as well. that way different groups can chat about it.

Talked to a guy in Minot this last weekend, said he saw my facebook post about this. Asked if he could roll with us with is roached out 89 Lincoln Town car. I said, "...YEA BUDDY..." He said he'd try his hand at the autocross and drag racing (probably a solid 22 second car, but that's not really the point, it's the fun of doing all that stuff, and hanging out, and rolling 50-100 cars deep into gas stations and hotel parking lots, cars loaded with stickers and logos, and dudes hanging out and laughing and having a good time). Guys just wanting to try something fun for a weekend. If we do this right, and line up the dates so that other people are already throwing events AND DOING THE WORK, we will have to do NOTHING, but drive around. See how cool all that is.

I am thinking we'll end up back in Billings Saturday night, just in time to head out as a group to the stock car races, and have a big BBQ out there. Eat, laugh, watch some races, etc. Then get up and BAM, we're drag racing the next day in Acton. CRAZY weekend.

It would relatively funny if they'd let a few of us that wanted to, make a few laps on the dirt oval in our cars. I don't know how that would work out, and if it were muddy, It might be relatively irresponsible to pack the fenders with mud before heading to Acton in the morning and drop that mud on the drag strip. But if it were dry!!!!! I dunno, that kind of planning is minor.

We might be on to something here.

I might license our Chump car (cheap road race car) and run it. no windows, radio, air conditioning, no comfy seat...(gonna suck if it rains... but even that would be funny, all things considered). BUT, kinda looks like a race car, and would be cool to see it out on tour.